BG Trophy 2008 : Last Chance for veterans?

Feed

Anil Kumble, India's Test captain, backed his senior middle-order batsmen against criticisms on their poor performance on the Sri Lanka tour. Kumble said it was harsh since they had been performing over the last decade. More... India in Sri Lanka 2008 Middle order has performed well for over a decade - Kumble Cricinfo staff August 23, 2008 361419.jpgRahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar together averaged 18.38 from 18 innings in Sri Lanka © AFP Anil Kumble, India's Test captain, has backed his senior middle-order batsmen against criticisms on their poor performance on the Sri Lanka tour. Kumble said it was harsh since they had been performing over the last decade. "This was the first series they could not perform," Kumble said of Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly. Kumble said it was unfair to include Laxman in the list since he had performed well. In the three Tests, Laxman scored 215 at 43, with two half-centuries while the other three combined to score 339 at 18.83, with one half-century between them. "Sourav and Rahul were having it tough, but you cannot write them off," Kumble said. "They have done so much for Indian cricket in the last 15 years. Agreed they failed in this Test series but it happens in cricket. We should not forget their past contribution." Kumble also praised Sri Lankan bowler Ajantha Mendis' accuracy, variety and trajectory. He said he had told Mendis to add variations to his bowling so he would not become predictable. "I knew that if I kept improving and added several variations, I would be able to dominate batsmen. Mendis will also go through such a stage when he would have to add a few tricks and variations so that he does not become predictable." "From the moment I started, I did not spin the ball much, but I had variations and one needs to capture wickets to remain in the team. I bowl according to my strength." Kumble looked ahead to India's upcoming series against Australia. "There is a month left now before Australia comes in and we need to have match practice and gain some confidence."

BG Trophy 08 : Time for bold decisions regarding veterans Cricket belongs not to the past but the future More... Time for bold decisions PETER ROEBUCK 2008083061571901.jpgCricket belongs not to the past but the future India faces a choice between evolution and revolution. Over the next few weeks the selectors must complete their plans for the forthcoming Australian series. Is it to be a last hurrah for the great figures that have adorned the game for 15 years? Should they be given one more opportunity to nail the Australians? After all they only lost by a whisker in the previous series, and that in contentious circumstances. Or should the selectors start dismantling the side veteran by veteran? In short should changes be made before or afterwards? It is not a straightforward matter. Although several batsmen are past their peak they are not hobbling around on walking sticks. And the sight of an Australian cricketer might have much the same effect on them as dawn has upon roosters. Nor have the younger brigade been pressing hard. Trapped midway Chances have been given to various contenders and none has imposed himself. Mohammed Kaif and Yuvraj Singh, especially, have been trapped midway between promise and deed. As a result the selectors lack compelling alternatives. Accordingly a case can be made for waiting. Apart from anything else it would placate crowds inclined to identifying strongly with their heroes. But it will not do. India cannot twiddle its thumbs until it is proven beyond reasonable doubt that the fine batsmen of the aging generation are over the hill. Competitors of this calibre do not lose their powers overnight. Deterioration is gradual but irreversible as eyes slow, motivation fades and feet stop dancing. Certainly the middle order could serve a little longer but selectors are obliged to anticipate not respond. Moreover India has already leapt forwards in one-day cricket. Against the wishes of an abrasive coach, the old guard was given a last dash for glory in the World Cup. Early elimination meant the team could be dismantled without upsetting anyone. Winds of change Mahendra Singh Dhoni was put in charge and several old-timers were put out to pasture. An immediate change came over the side. India was faster between wickets, sharper in the field and fresher of spirit. In any form of the game it is an effective formula. India won the 50-over tournament in Australia and has also prevailed in Sri Lanka. It is not so much that the players are better but they are eager and less tarnished by time. Now India must bring the same audacity to its Test selection. It is not sensible to wait upon events. Nor is it discreet to drop all the senior players in one fell swoop. Much better to give the newcomers a chance to play alongside Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid and to learn from them. Not that the other elders have nothing to impart. Just that these players have records telling of high durability. India can make changes gradually, bringing in Suresh Raina, let us say, to face the Australians with another novice on standby. It is cowardly to advocate the inclusion of one player without naming a man to give way. Whilst bowing to no-one in admiration for Sourav Ganguly and admitting that he batted superbly against South Africa, I think he must be first on the scaffold. The Australian method Over the years Australian cricket has been characterised by its ruthlessness. Other nations were shocked by the way in which players like Ian Healy and Steve Waugh were unsentimentally discarded. But in retirement players are treated with the greatest respect. After all they know a thing or two. It’s the right way around. Cricket belongs not to the individual but the team, not to the past but the future, not to caution but to boldness.

Personally the only one in some danger is Ganguly ... Sachin and Laxman have tremendous records against Australia. Dravid showed at the back end of the Lankan series that he was slowly returning to form. But tbh , I dont want to risk putting in an untried youngster into the most important test series in the world for us. After this, the next BG series is in a few years. We can build after this series. For this one ... stick with the fab 4.

Roebuck is an ass. Most of his articles look for possible sensationalism. Cheap journalism. And we feel thrilled when he writes stuff like that. The gentlemen he is talking about have been the biggest impediment in Australia’s otherwise unchallenged rule on world cricket.

Personally the only one in some danger is Ganguly ... Sachin and Laxman have tremendous records against Australia. Dravid showed at the back end of the Lankan series that he was slowly returning to form. But tbh , I dont want to risk putting in an untried youngster into the most important test series in the world for us. After this, the next BG series is in a few years. We can build after this series. For this one ... stick with the fab 4.
Yes, Ganguly is the one in danger. However, its not a bad idea to try one youngster along with Dravid, Tendulkar and VVS to guide the youngster. That way the youngster also gains from experience of the Trinity being there in the team.
Yes' date=' Ganguly is the one in danger. However, its not a bad idea to try one youngster along with Dravid, Tendulkar and VVS to guide the youngster. That way the youngster also gains from experience of the Trinity being there in the team.[/quote'] Yea i know ... but there is so much at stake in this series. Its gotten quite personal between these 2 teams, and India have waited for 9 months to exact revenge on the Aussies for what happened last summer. I don't want any liabilities for this series. I think play the best side we have. Ganguly has been down on form, but given that its such a big series, and on his day Dada can rip apart any bowling attack, I'd still want him there. This series is too important.
Yea i know ... but there is so much at stake in this series. Its gotten quite personal between these 2 teams, and India have waited for 9 months to exact revenge on the Aussies for what happened last summer. I don't want any liabilities for this series. I think play the best side we have. Ganguly has been down on form, but given that its such a big series, and on his day Dada can rip apart any bowling attack, I'd still want him there. This series is too important.
So, what you are saying is you believe SG will find his touch before this series?
So' date=' what you are saying is you believe SG will find his touch before this series?[/quote'] No I am saying that having Ganguly in there is a safer option than a debutant. Ganguly while out of form atm, may find touch in the Aussie series (who knows, it takes 1 good knock to get some rhythm back) ... Ganguly is a player the Aussies will be worried about. One more player they have to plan to. In addition to making plans for Sehwag, Gambhir, Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar ... you add Ganguly in aswell, and it will be one more player the Aussies must think about. Remember, Ganguly batted well for the first 2 tests against the Aussies last summer. I just dont want to take any major risks for such a huge series. Full-strength team ... Give these seniors one last shot at beating the Aussies. Like I said, this series is quite personal.

i feel the mods are stretching their boundaries here -this might be ok with some guys but might not be with others-who may just leave and never come back(i am sure rajeev doesnt want that).unless the posts are offensive then i fail to see the need to delete them. i too agree that its time to give raina a chance and ganguly should make way for him.

What happened to all the posts on this thread. Mine included!!! Whats going on?
Volatile posts have a tendency of evaporating without warning.:D
One of my posts is also gone?:eek:
i feel the mods are stretching their boundaries here -this might be ok with some guys but might not be with others-who may just leave and never come back(i am sure rajeev doesnt want that).unless the posts are offensive then i fail to see the need to delete them. i too agree that its time to give raina a chance and ganguly should make way for him.
This is getting on my nerves, seriously Unless DSR didn't get it before, in his PM I told him I was deleting the posts ( which were about Fineleg, suraj and my explanation ) - so to avoid this thread going further down with the original OP - I kept the rest of the stuff This is getting nuts now, you gotta stop asking " everytime there is a move or deleting " its like a freaking protest - we do certain things for a reason..so Please ..and we spent time discussing these things than the actual cricket, which is why I deleted those posts in the first place
Let em play in2 their 40's.kumble ' date='dravid,laxman,tENDulkar n gangoogly not gona do the honourable thing...so lets just leave em be.meanwhile team india suffers[/quote'] Ok Kumble is getting old and maybe Ganguly is slipping in form too ... but Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman are 35,35 and 33 respectively and arent in bad form. Tell me, how many great batsmen have retired honourably at that age? Gavaskar retired at 38. Lara retired at 38. Waugh retired at 38. Richards retired at 39. Warne retired at 37. Just because people have been calling for their heads since they turned 30 (and constantly being proven wrong) doesnt mean that these guys have been selfishly hanging on.
Ok Kumble is getting old and maybe Ganguly is slipping in form too ... but Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman are 35,35 and 33 respectively and arent in bad form. Tell me, how many great batsmen have retired honourably at that age? Gavaskar retired at 38. Lara retired at 38. Waugh retired at 38. Richards retired at 39. Warne retired at 37. Just because people have been calling for their heads since they turned 30 (and constantly being proven wrong) doesnt mean that these guys have been selfishly hanging on.
Quite so. Specifically Tendulkar has been performing as one of the top batsmen for a while. He may not be as effective as he was in the past. But even 1/10th of Tendulkar is better than 10 times another batsman.