Laxman's IPL fate hangs in balance

veer

Laxman & Afridi’s IPL fate hangs in balance MUMBAI: VVS Laxman and Shahid Afridi’s place in the Deccan Chargers team for the 2009 season is in doubt with the team owners keen on having both players out of the franchise. It is learnt that the Deccan Chargers management is seeking legal advice on players’ contracts to find some way of termination. Insiders pointed out that misconduct or misdemeanour may be one of the key reasons. The contract allows ending a player’s contract on account of breach, which is what Deccan Chargers is evaluating. All IPL players have been contracted for three years. However, there are some exit clauses that enable termination of the contract. Afridi and Laxman were involved in an explosive spat recently. “T20 cricket is not Laxman’s forte. Adam Gilchrist was one of the two most successful players for us along with Rohit Sharma. He played some really good innings and his input was very good at times on the field. If they do appoint Adam as captain, I think he would be a better choice than Laxman,†Afridi was quoted as saying. When contacted, Deccan Chargers spokesperson said: “An enquiry will take place and after that a decision will be taken.†The statement did not go well with Laxman who retaliated stating: “Afridi has no team ethics. Speaking negatively about the team in public, let alone the captain, is just not on. Being an experienced cricketer, he should not be questioning the way the team functions. I am shocked to say the least. He should know that it was a collective failure because he was part of the team. It is unfortunate that he chose to blame the captain for it.†Another possibility would be to put the players up for trading and not look at termination. Clarity on this will only be known, once IPL committee draws a list of guidelines. The fact that both Laxman and Afridi performed poorly during the IPL has not helped the situation. Afridi, has been touted as one of the most high-profile failures, scoring just 81 runs in 10 innings.

IPL is serious stuff, big corporate money and reputations are riding on teams. The fact of the matter is, Laxman will NEVER make it to Indian second 20/20 line-up, let alone the first one. If he cant make to a 20/20 team that comprises of Indian only stars, then how can he possibly make to a team that international stars in too? The seniors like Dravid, VVS were roped in for the premier edition more for their popularity and stature amongst the fans, so that team can be promoted better. That is phase is now over. We're going to the 2nd edition now. Its time for these white-elephants to move away with dignity.

someone go to rohan's house' date=' and take away all the sharp/deadly objects[/quote'] hahahah very funny. First of all its human nature if someone is disrespecting your game like that. The team management should understand that its Afridi who provoked it. Laxmans comments are in no way insulting all he did was question Afridis loyalty to the team but it was Afrdi who was getting personal and the team management should understand Afridis past and how foolish of a cricket player he is. Words are Words they are not actions so if the team management was fair they should let it go.

I think its hilarious how people are taking IPL so seriously and worrying about selection issues in IPL. The whole point of the IPL in my view is for 'entertainment'. Crowds come to see big name players ... Laxman, Afridi, Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Symonds, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Sehwag, Warne, McGrath, etc. No one cares if they are T20 players or not because ... this isnt a serious competition. Its for entertainment, so lets let the 'entertainers' and the 'star attractions' play. If India wanted to select a model T20 team, well then thats what domestic T20 and champions league is for. Lets leave IPL as it is ... a pure spectacle, for pure entertainment.

I think its hilarious how people are taking IPL so seriously and worrying about selection issues in IPL. The whole point of the IPL in my view is for 'entertainment'. Crowds come to see big name players ... Laxman, Afridi, Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Symonds, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Sehwag, Warne, McGrath, etc. No one cares if they are T20 players or not because ... this isnt a serious competition. Its for entertainment, so lets let the 'entertainers' and the 'star attractions' play. If India wanted to select a model T20 team, well then thats what domestic T20 and champions league is for. Lets leave IPL as it is ... a pure spectacle, for pure entertainment.
They will try to keep the quality up without compromising with the entertainment elements. They need some bit of cricket. Its foolish to assume that they will get on with crappy cricket as long as the other entertainment elements are in place.

Well I dno about you ... but I find Laxman's style of batting very entertaining to watch ... his timing and placement is sublime and he looks so elegant ... Yes it may not be suited to T20 but this is just IPL ... its a commercial thing ... not a pure cricket event anyway ... Laxman is one of the big selling points (even if he scores a 20 ball 20). My point is ... if the big names dont play then this just becomes another ordinary domestic competition and no one will turn up to watch. I guarantee you all the big names will play because this is more for entertainment than anything else.