Mark my words : Rohit Sharma is the next great batsman

Yeh i know ... Like I said in the OP ... this wasnt supposed to be about selection. He def. does not deserve a spot in the Test side now. But the kid has some serious talent. In the series against Australia, we got to see that he had a pretty good technique and he could play some very good innings. But I remember during the IPL, he was playing in a team full of cashed up superstars (Symonds, Gilchrist, Gibbs, etc), and this young kid came out and his hitting was just so clean, and he just seemed to have so much more time than anyone else. It seemed like such a walk in the park for this kid. Now, of course, players like Dhawan and Gambhir are doing better than him, but , again, I am not trying to make an argument for his selection. I am simply going by what I observe when I watch this guy bat. While I am not comparing him to Sachin, I am simply saying that not since Sachin have I seen someone have this much time to play their shots. Basically, I am saying Rohit Sharma has more natural talent than any other young batsman in the Indian team today. His relative success, in my opinion, will depend purely on his commitment, attitude and desire.
the last line of ur post is the most important one..no matter how much talent u have if u dont have that hunger or commitment u will not succeed in the highest level..this guy seems to lack that hunger that great sportsperson do..i mite be wrong but somehow he seems to be laid back..i have no doubt that he is hugely talented and infact i wud stick my neck out and say that he is the brightest young batting talent around in the world today but he needs that hunger for runs to convert that talent into success..lets hope he does that..
rohit sharma is not talented at all. even ishant sharma & munaf patel seem to have more talent with the bat than rohit sharma
:haha: Joke of the day..He certainly can bat (remember VB series final ??). I will give him some more time to prove..Aussie series is an awesome opportunity for him to display his talent

Just because someone looks laid back (as opposed to always looking intense and angry, like Kohli) doesnt necessarily mean they arent working hard enough (although Im pretty sure Rohit isnt pushing himself as hard as he could) .... Look at Sehwag. If thats laid back, Ill take that over angry and intense.

wat u mean yuvi side? yuvi won us da t20 world cup n many more matches on his own n just bcoz hes in bad form, u cant bash him like dat. n wat has dhoni done to be called a gr8 .rememeber how he performed in da ODI world cup.he is highly overrated.he uses his captaincy to suit him,comes at 5 n 6 against strong teams n promotes himself against minnows or wen da victory is in sight n becomes a hero.he even backed out from tests against sl. that isnt a sugn of gr8ness.
I meant if Yuvi would have been a foccussed character, he would have been the captain of the team and one of the mainstay in the team, i have no doubt about his talent and the fact that he has won many games for India, but i dont think he is focussed enough to be one of the best and by Dhonis side i mean that he is a guy who isnt as gifted as Yuvi but makes it up with his focus and determination, and thats why he is the no1 ODI batsmen in the World let alone in India, So i my point being, we know that Rohit has the talent like Yuvi, but if he adpots the determination and foccussed attitude of Dhoni, he is surely on his way to become the next TENDULKAR
He reminds me of Laxman sometimes. I think he had problems in Sri Lanka because the ball wasn't coming on to the bat. But yeah in each IPL innings he seemed to be making runs with 0 effort. He's the best to watch of the younger lot
the best to watch out of the younger lot is shikhar dhawan. he has a excellent technique & plays the short-pitched balls very well. would be an ideal batsman to have playing tests against aus

well best to watch is a subjective thing ... because it depends on what excites u in the game of cricket ... my personal opinion is that rohit sharma in full flight, more than the other youngsters is someone i would gladly pay money to watch ... but thats obv just an opinion I find rohit a cross between laxman and tendulkar ... but yea i agree with crimemastergoo ... he is def a better player on quicker pitches ... he performed well in SAF, AUS and in the IPL (where the spinners dont really come into play much)

I meant if Yuvi would have been a foccussed character, he would have been the captain of the team and one of the mainstay in the team, i have no doubt about his talent and the fact that he has won many games for India, but i dont think he is focussed enough to be one of the best and by Dhonis side i mean that he is a guy who isnt as gifted as Yuvi but makes it up with his focus and determination, and thats why he is the no1 ODI batsmen in the World let alone in India, So i my point being, we know that Rohit has the talent like Yuvi, but if he adpots the determination and foccussed attitude of Dhoni, he is surely on his way to become the next TENDULKAR
dhoni s focussed n responsible bcoz he is captain of a young team.b4 that he was a swash buckler too. the time dhoni was given the job,yuvi was batting better than him n wud have evolved as great batsman if given the responsibility. i'm not saying that yuvi shud be made captain or anything but he can be given more responsibilty by promoting hi to no.3(in odis). it may amount to some failures, but it wud be a huge long term success. n now with ganguly retiring, he shud be regularity in tests.you cant except him to perform with a sword on his head which he earlier did

The very minute his name was mentioned along with Tendulkar's his downfall started. He's good but can't be Tendulkar, no chance. Not even Rahul Dravid can be compared to Tendulkar. Rohit Sharma can emulate Rahul Dravid though, he seems a pretty cool customer and keeps a low profile.

dhoni s focussed n responsible bcoz he is captain of a young team.b4 that he was a swash buckler too. the time dhoni was given the job,yuvi was batting better than him n wud have evolved as great batsman if given the responsibility. i'm not saying that yuvi shud be made captain or anything but he can be given more responsibilty by promoting hi to no.3(in odis). it may amount to some failures, but it wud be a huge long term success. n now with ganguly retiring, he shud be regularity in tests.you cant except him to perform with a sword on his head which he earlier did
If Dhoni is the Captain, Yuvi is the vice captain which should make him second in line for the role, but his attitude has shown no inclination as to whether he wants the job or not, i only feel if he puts in that tad bit of effort it will fully justify the talent he posesses
for those who r saying there cant be another tendulkar' date=' just watch SEHWAG bat[/quote'] there is no comparison between sehwag and tendulkar ... some shots are similar but for an allround batting game ... Tendulkar is far superior ... having said that ... While we know Sehwag cant be a Tendulkar ... I think its fair to say, Tendulkar is no Sehwag either.