Gilly lashes out at Sachin, calls him a bad sport, liar.

Holysmoke

To be perfectly honest ?? Mate, it's not about you and it's not about onfield handshakes after a match. It's about what happens in the dressing room. SRT: "Before, during and after the match I don't like to enter the opposition dressing-room as it is not my culture," Tendulkar said. "But I have nothing against other cultures. I have never walked off a ground without shaking the opposition players' hands."
What are you trying to say here? You just gave a direct quote from Sachin that shows that he does make it a point to shake players hands after a match. In the dressing room is a different story. Players are busy with many things and really it depends on the individual. I very much doubt Gilchrist walked up to Sachin in the change room and put out his hand and said "Good game" and Sachin refused to shake his hand. I mean come on. I dont like Symonds, but even he wouldnt do that. Sachin was probably busy doing something else, and given that he already shook his hand on the field, he didnt feel the need to go shake his hand again.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/375285.html
Johnson showed a glimpse into the current Australian mindset when he said “a lot of the guys – most of the guys – are confident” when discussing the team’s prospects of overcoming the 1-0 deficit. “We can put a lot of pressure on the Indians,” he said. “They’re going to feel it, going 1-0 up. All the pressure is on them now. There is disappointment in losing, but we’ll get back on track."
Ummmm...I am suffering from a "cultural difference" here...how does going 1 - 0 up put the pressure on the Indians? I must be missing something.

in the meantime one Shoaib Akthar showers praise on Sach..he feels Sachin makes cricket better Sachin makes cricket better: Shoaib Shoaib Akhtar says he enjoys his contests against Sachin Tendulkar, but believes he is not the "hardest" batsman to get out. The speedster from Rawalpindi has joined cricketers from across the world in hailing Tendulkar for eclipsing Brian Lara's world record for Test runs but at the same time Akhtar says that pressure of a million fans, scrutinising his every step, makes him vulnerable. "Congratulations to Sachin for breaking Brian Lara's Test record. We are all lucky to have seen him play and some of us even more fortunate to have actually played against him," Shoaib said. "I wouldn't say he is the hardest batsman to get out because when he comes to the wicket, he carries so much expectation of all the passionate Indian people and is under so much pressure to score runs that he may then be nervous early on. "When he gets in and is seeing the ball well, then it is the bowler who is in trouble because once set he is extremely tough to remove. Then it becomes very difficult and is probably the greatest challenge you can face as a bowler," Shoaib was quoted as saying by the Pakistan media. Shoaib felt the batting maestro still had enough cricket in him and should continue to serve the game for at least two more years. "Sachin brought charisma and charm into cricket. I cannot say enough of how much of a gentleman he is. We all have to be thankful to him that he is playing this game and making our sport so much the better for his being there. I believe he will carry on scoring Test runs for at least another two years," the controversial pace bowler said. He also doubted that Tendulkar's record will ever be bettered although he admitted Ricky Pointing had a fair chance as he a bit younger than the Indian. Shoaib also praised Tendulkar's other qualities, saying "he is the most humble person and greatest example of a gentleman in the game. "With all the records he has and the talent, you would never know because he always remains so quiet, modest and humble," he said

To be perfectly honest ?? Mate, it's not about you and it's not about onfield handshakes after a match. It's about what happens in the dressing room. SRT: "Before, during and after the match I don't like to enter the opposition dressing-room as it is not my culture," Tendulkar said. "But I have nothing against other cultures. I have never walked off a ground without shaking the opposition players' hands."
Whats all this big obssession with hand shakes! What tosh. I think Sachin is very brave to shake the ausseis hands once. I mean would you shake Ponting's hand, he spits all over them every 10 seconds. It also is very common for aussies and the west to go to the toilet and not wash their hands at all. Sachin is very decent/brave to shake their unhygenic hands even once!
Whats all this big obssession with hand shakes! What tosh. I think Sachin is very brave to shake the ausseis hands once. I mean would you shake Ponting's hand, he spits all over them every 10 seconds. It also is very coomon for aussies and the west to go to the toilet and not wash their hands at all. Sachin is very decent/brave to shake their unhygenic hands even once!
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Yes. Wrong thread.
I beg to differ. It is relevant to the post prior to it, where cultural difference is pointed out. It is germane to the argument at hand and is thus on the thread it is supposed to be on. Perhaps this difference we are having can also be put down to cultural difference?
I personally dont understand how someone can be taken out of context when they were quoted directly from their own book. I would have still respected Gilchrist if he just stood by what he said. Now he has put his foot in his mouth by trying to backtrack.
You still don't get it, do you ? It was the bloody stupid journo who used the terms 'bad sport' and 'liar' - not Gilchrist. Gilly is not backtracking or retracting anything.
Gilly is not backtracking or retracting anything.
Yes...this is true. But it does appear as if he is trying to soft-pedal it...trying to make it seem other than what it was...not a very edifying sight. His comments were suggestive of what the journalist latched onto and blew up.
I was afraid of this when Sachin defended Harbhajan for "10 hours" explaining the difference between calling Symonds a monkey and saying "maa ki". He started out saying it was just a bit of friendly banter at the end of the 2nd day in Sydney (i.e. he chose not to make it a big issue). He then said that he did not hear what Harbhajan said to Symonds (which was true because Harbhajan went off the pitch a fair way to say something to Symonds after the latter had made some dumb comment about no friends on the field). Then, he defended Harbhajan with the "maaki" alternative that the Australians would not be able to defend (I mean they could come up with a million reasons why it sounded the same: different accent, he was walking away from Harbhajan when he was saying this to him, etc). I think its a bit silly to call Sachin a bad sport for not shaking your hand after a defeat because not all people who shake hands are good sports either. Sachin is a very highly competitive player who doesn't take defeat lightly (as per millions of his coaches, friends, etc). But I think the team management (yes I blame everyone) had a role in manipulating the words that did come out of Sachin's mouth later. (This is my speculation and it could be that I'm horribly wrong and so is Gilchrist).
Agree totally. I think sachin did go that extra to save his good for nothing pal 's backside. I wonder how someone like sachin can have such an idiot as his close friend. As for gilly...he is a blloody hypocrite. He thinks they can do any thing on the field,behave like bullies as long as they shake hands after the game.Why would any one want to shake the hands of guys who cheat you of a game like they did back then. Sachin and others should have slapped if they came to their dressing room.Hypocrites! Gilly is also a hypocrite because this has come after 10 months and just to sell his book. In the time between the act and the release of the book ,this same gilly was licking every indian ass that showed him in good light for his IPL stint.I also think this guy has some hand in Laxman's disrespectful treatment(or atleast his getting the captaincy) in his IPL team .
You still don't get it, do you ? It was the bloody stupid journo who used the terms 'bad sport' and 'liar' - not Gilchrist. Gilly is not backtracking or retracting anything.
No thats what Im talking about. He said he was "quoted out of context" ... Those were his words. Im just saying that if someone has quoted an entire paragraph from the book, how can that be a quote out of context?
Whats all this big obssession with hand shakes! What tosh. I think Sachin is very brave to shake the ausseis hands once. I mean would you shake Ponting's hand, he spits all over them every 10 seconds. It also is very common for aussies and the west to go to the toilet and not wash their hands at all. Sachin is very decent/brave to shake their unhygenic hands even once!
:giggle::giggle: