If Sehwag can notch up 610 runs in his next 7 innings ...

bharat297

Mohammed Yousuf record for the most runs in a calendar year is very similar to Pakistan's winning 'streak' of 12 consecutive ODI wins starting late last year and continuing this year too. Yousuf scored heavily against minnows. Viru, on the other hand, has scored all his runs against top-class opposition; Australia, S.Africa, S.Lanka etc. Even if he falls a couple of 100 runs short, I'd still rate that higher.

Mohammed Yousuf record for the most runs in a calendar year is very similar to Pakistan's winning 'streak' of 12 consecutive ODI wins starting late last year and continuing this year too. Yousuf scored heavily against minnows. Viru, on the other hand, has scored all his runs against top-class opposition; Australia, S.Africa, S.Lanka etc. Even if he falls a couple of 100 runs short, I'd still rate that higher.
can only play with what your given. He made a truckload against India on flat tracks but had a MONSTER series in England against Panesar, Harmison, Hoggard, Mahmood, and did well against the Windies with an attack of colleymore, powell, taylor. No where did he score against the lack of minnows, and to think he made those runs in less test matches! If he breaks the record, fantastic. If he doesn't, then he doesn't break it. M. Yousuf deserves every bit of it.
can only play with what your given. He made a truckload against India on flat tracks but had a MONSTER series in England against Panesar, Harmison, Hoggard, Mahmood, and did well against the Windies with an attack of colleymore, powell, taylor. No where did he score against the lack of minnows, and to think he made those runs in less test matches! If he breaks the record, fantastic. If he doesn't, then he doesn't break it. M. Yousuf deserves every bit of it.
there was no need to bring facts in to this.
No one's taking Yousuf's record away from him, but one does need to have sense of perspective when weighing up the merits of indivodual acheivements. Its as simple as that. Personally, I would alwayts put 2 100s a batsman scores against Aus and S.Africa over the 4 100s he may have scored against weaker teams.
No one's taking Yousuf's record away from him, but one does need to have sense of perspective when weighing up the merits of indivodual acheivements. Its as simple as that. Personally, I would alwayts put 2 100s a batsman scores against Aus and S.Africa over the 4 100s he may have scored against weaker teams.
Actually, in essence that's exactly what you were doing. Pakistan played India, Sri Lanka, England, and West Indies. None of those teams were "minnows." Racking up 631 runs against England (7 innings) and 665 against West Indies (5 innings) is nothing to scoff at.
Actually' date=' in essence that's exactly what you were doing.[/quote'] Huh? I dont remember saying anywhere that his record should be cancelled or anulled because it didnt come againt top-flight oppositions. I merely said that even if Sehwag falls a couple of 100 runs short, I would still rate that higher than Yousuf's record.
Huh? I dont remember saying anywhere that his record should be cancelled or anulled because it didnt come againt top-flight oppositions. I merely said that even if Sehwag falls a couple of 100 runs short, I would still rate that higher than Yousuf's record.
you were discrediting his accomplishment by saying it was against minnows.
above para

Sorry marirs, for the first time you've got it all wrong. Yousuf's record is an unassailable one! He piled on runs for Pakistan and was their only hope during the Eng test series. Should sehwag break MoYo's record it will be a bigger one as he is involved in a series against Aussies for the 2nd time in a 'calendar year'. Sehwag, along with GG scored heavily in the test series vs SL (thanks to the double ton). If sehwag manages to score atleast 250 runs in next 2 innings (I am assuming India won't bat again in delhi) then he will have his eyes set on the record as we are playing England next (...here's hoping they don't bring Hoggard :pray:) Mind you, MoYo scored his record number of runs in only 11 games whereas Sehwag will feature in 14 games by the end of this year.

while Moyo was in terrific form that particular year, his fall from grace the very next year was quite telling of the benign conditions he was subjected to. Dont get me wrong, regardless of the opposition to maintain an average of about 80 is exceptional and not just that, moyo often scored in both innings of the game. he was simply terrific that year, but he was not particularly challenged. a batsman is not like a stationary state... i.e. independent of its previous performances, but there is considerable casuality invovled, what most people in the popular vernacular call "form"... moyo was high on confidence, sure of his footwork and steady with his nerves, and thus he scored well in the only series where he was challenged: england. nonetheless the achivement is unique since it requires a particular temperament to achieve what he did, and while this might make me quite unpopular here, none of the indian batsmen save for vvs have that particular temperament to gradually accumulate runs in consecutive innings, even if the conditions are favorable. all of the indian batting stalwarts are guilty of excessive improvisation. they try to make the play then let the play come to them. for instance, three of tendulkar's dismissals in the south african series a little while ago, were because he tried too much against stipulation bowling. he once went chasing after a delievery a foot and a half outside off, then once he tried to slide one past the keeper when the ball was pitched on the middle and moving down left... and once we tried a flick too many.