Which team is better?

Since Australia can't even match the current Indian team...how about a test match between the current Indian team and... Jaffer, Karthik+, Badri, Yuvraj*, Sharma, Raina, Irfan, Chawla, Harbhajan, RP Singh, Munaf Patel They definitely have a "real" allrounder in Pathan unlike Dr. Watson. Probably the next version Kohli can replace Jaffer. And Kaif should replace Sharma.

A team has to be better than its opposition by a certain margin to be able to win on the opposition's turf. The size of the margin is debatable but I don't think anyone will disagree that there has to be a buffer zone. So with that in mind I would say that the teams are close enough that neither is really capable of defeating the other away from home. That might change by the time India tour Australia.

I often wonder if things would have been different if India had opened with Sehwag from the start of the Australia tour. I could make a case for the course of events changing in both directions. I think Pakistan's tour lulled Indian management into believing they didn't need Sehwag. I still remember as the Australia tour was about to start, Ian Chappel (yes, that hated Ian Chappel) being very vehement in his support for Sehwag's inclusion because he falls into Chappel's "ability to change the game quickly" philosophy.