Gambhir's appeal over Test ban rejected

h4te

I have not seen this guy play before...Hari' date=' can you give us a profile on Vijay?[/quote'] Has a pretty compact technique and is tall. Can also accelerate while still playing orthodox cricket. From what I've seen, he has the best technique among youngsters, Badri including.
I dont want to sound like a conspiracy theorist' date=' but the speed at which the appeal was rejected overstepping the hearing seems a little surprising......just in time to ensure he does not play the final test.[/quote'] so, are you implying that.....that.....:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:
Guest HariSampath

bunny...you are da man ...if you wanna job as a selector , let me know ;-) Yes, Vijay is a batter with the rare combination of orthodox approach of building an inngs, excellent big match temperament and also ability to raise his batting to brilliant stroke play whenever necessary. Would be a surefire success in the long term, but again, I think this combo makes him a better # 3 than an opener. But maybe thats well too, because once GG returns, Vijay would be a good #3, if he performs well

Guest HariSampath
Vijays performances have been bloody impressive. Has not got the hype so has slipped under everyones radar. Thank god for selectors who look at everyones performances and not what the media highlights. Avergaes near 50. One of top run scorers in ranji. 2nd top run scorer in challenger games. Top run scorere in A tests against NZ! Very impressive CV. No hype though. Strange:hmmm:
The hype is for others...here in Chennai, its quite understated performance :giggle: But really, its true...Chennai players are never hyped...heck they dont even get good press like their counterparts from other cities. The moment someone gets a U-22 200, its as if he needs to be called to Indian team immediately, elsewhere. But how many know the name of the Vijays. How many have heard of Ravichandra Ashwin, another player about whom I have been posting for 1 year on ICF. He is a superb off spinner, was Ranji top wicket taker and winner of National CEAT award for best bowler last season, he was the top wicket taker in Challenger trophy last week, but no one even writes or talks about him. But the most undeserving KKD from Chennai gets all the millions and the spots to play, even though I feel he should be dropped from all forms of the game, including club cricket. This lack of press is what has delayed the genuine player's emergence, soon enough, like Badri who is a classic example.

selecting akash chopra or wasim jaffer would be one step backward there is no1 who can play like gambhir, so that sehwag goes along very well with him, give india a good start badrinath can bat in the top order, though not an ideal situation for debut, but he can open the innings this way, dravid will retain his no3 spot, instead of opening, and putting himself under more pressure also, the middle order won't be affected

The hype is for others...here in Chennai, its quite understated performance :giggle: But really, its true...Chennai players are never hyped...heck they dont even get good press like their counterparts from other cities. The moment someone gets a U-22 200, its as if he needs to be called to Indian team immediately, elsewhere. But how many know the name of the Vijays. How many have heard of Ravichandra Ashwin, another player about whom I have been posting for 1 year on ICF. He is a superb off spinner, was Ranji top wicket taker and winner of National CEAT award for best bowler last season, he was the top wicket taker in Challenger trophy last week, but no one even writes or talks about him. But the most undeserving KKD from Chennai gets all the millions and the spots to play, even though I feel he should be dropped from all forms of the game, including club cricket. This lack of press is what has delayed the genuine player's emergence, soon enough, like Badri who is a classic example.
1. I hope GG can still play at Nagpur - BCCI should "find a way". This is mandatory for us to do well in Test-4 2. If GG cannot play, I dont care what happens to BG trophy. BCCI must pull the team out of Test -4. Let Aus have a vacation in Nagpur and take the stupid trophy with them. This nonsense of ICC needs to be protested by pulling out of Test-4. 3. Murali Vijay is a good prospect. Kudos to him. As Hari said, TN players who do well, dont get noticed. Idjets like KKD who should not be allowed near cricket stadium at all, instead get into Ind-A, B, Green, Red etc. Its a good call for M. Vijay - however, I wont want to jump the gun - KKD got selected and failed miserably. Badri got a few chances, but did not really "convert them" yet. He'll get a few more. Lets see how many actually convert the chances.

Sreekanth is chief selector. Two guys from TN make it into the Indian squad. Thats bound to raise eyebrows. :D Again, whats confusing is, Vijay didnt play in either of Irani Trophy, BP XI, 'A' match against NZ or the match against the Pakistani team. For him to leapfrog all the openers in all those matches ( Chopra, Jaffer, Patel) and make it to the squad is odd. Then again, its a new selection panel and they may have new ideas. Good luck to Vijay!

Guest HariSampath
why not Akash Chopra? he has been scoring tons and tons of runs?
Tons and Tons ? where and when? please post any news you have of Akash Chopra having scored 100s in important games, that are basis for selection, this year. He was not in the India A itself, and like I posted before, he is over, he is 31, and we are moving on. He is not playing for India again, thats for sure...100%.
Guest HariSampath
Sreekanth is chief selector. Two guys from TN make it into the Indian squad. Thats bound to raise eyebrows. :D Again, whats confusing is, Vijay didnt play in either of Irani Trophy, BP XI, 'A' match against NZ or the match against the Pakistani team. For him to leapfrog all the openers in all those matches ( Chopra, Jaffer, Patel) and make it to the squad is odd. Then again, its a new selection panel and they may have new ideas. Good luck to Vijay!
You are wrong Sriram. Murali Vijay is the only TN cricketer to be selected after Srikkanth took over. Badri was there earlier, he was given a chance by the Vengsarkar committe itself, and as everyone knows, Badri had been very close to selection last one year, and Cheeka has nothing to do with it, Badri already broke into ODI squad too last year. And also,you are wrong about Vijay's record. He WAS the top aggregate scorer for India A, against NZ, in the "tests"...and also you must have seen his FC record and Challenger's performances. Note : If you so want, you can call Cheeka and check...you have his number....you know him, and he would well remember you :-)
You are wrong Sriram. Murali Vijay is the only TN cricketer to be selected after Srikkanth took over. Badri was there earlier, he was given a chance by the Vengsarkar committe itself, and as everyone knows, Badri had been very close to selection last one year, and Cheeka has nothing to do with it, Badri already broke into ODI squad too last year. And also,you are wrong about Vijay's record. He WAS the top aggregate scorer for India A, against NZ, in the "tests"...and also you must have seen his FC record and Challenger's performances. Note : If you so want, you can call Cheeka and check...you have his number....you know him, and he would well remember you :-)
Oh, He did play against NZ? I didnt know that. I did look at his record and seems quite impressive. Whats striking is his FC SR. Its 43 runs/100 balls. That is quite odd for a modern day batsman. Maybe he's quite different.
Guest HariSampath
thread hijacked! Where is the outrage for the Gambhir incident?
I am quite angry that Gambhir is not playing. However happy I am that Murali Vijay has got a well deserved chance, I wish that we had Gambhir, he is in terrific form and just what we need for the last test. Vijay would have got this chance , maybe after 2-3 tests anyway, but we should have Gambhir in. But from what the ICC has released in an official statement, I think someone in BCCI screwed up bigtime. They had appealed only against " the quantum of punishment", and NOT against the ruling itself...and the ICC judge had noted that as Gambhir had pleaded guilty to the match referee, he only had to decide on whether the one test ban was ok or not, and according to ICC rules,this doesnt need a hearing. Screw BCCI...Gambhir should have NEVER pleaded guilty !!
Oh, He did play against NZ? I didnt know that. I did look at his record and seems quite impressive. Whats striking is his FC SR. Its 43 runs/100 balls. That is quite odd for a modern day batsman. Maybe he's quite different.
As one who has seen him from close quarters,Hari was saying he's one opener who's ready to give first hour or so to the bowlers and thats not bad considering the kind of hovac bowlers can expect from the other end !
I am quite angry that Gambhir is not playing. However happy I am that Murali Vijay has got a well deserved chance' date=' I wish that we had Gambhir, he is in terrific form and just what we need for the last test. Vijay would have got this chance , maybe after 2-3 tests anyway, but we should have Gambhir in. But from what the ICC has released in an official statement, I think someone in BCCI screwed up bigtime. They had appealed only against " the quantum of punishment", and NOT against the ruling itself...and the ICC judge had noted that as Gambhir had pleaded guilty to the match referee, he only had to decide on whether the one test ban was ok or not, and according to ICC rules,this doesnt need a hearing. Screw BCCI...Gambhir should have NEVER pleaded guilty !!
BCCI!!! :(( pull out of test-4 :listen_dawg: lets protest :protest: