Reaction from the Aussie presss

Please add all anti-PawnTING articles here ! #1 Australia surrenders Border-Gavaskar Trophy in Nagpur

AUSTRALIA surrendered the Border-Gavaskar Trophy to India today, losing the final Test in Nagpur by 172 runs. punter A despondent Ricky Ponting heads to the dressing room after running himself out Picture: Graham Crouch Ricky Ponting's side was bowled out for 209 in only 50.2 overs, after being set an improbable 382 to win and draw the series on a fifth-day wicket. An annoyed Australia captain then took aim at critics saying he took offence at being called selfish and had a veiled swipe at Allan Border once Australia's inexorable decline was carved into history. Smarting from criticism that he avoided suspension for slow overrates by using part-time bowlers on Sunday evening, sacrificing any realistic chance Australia had of winning the Test, Ponting insisted he always put the team first. “The thing I'm most disappointed about is that there seems to be an inference out there that I've put myself totally ahead of the team,” Ponting said. “Anybody who knows me and knows the way I play my cricket or operate around the Australian cricket team or any team would hopefully not say that's the case. “I'd like to think that as far as team players go that there haven't been many more who have played for Australia who would do more than I would for the team.” Ponting singled out Border's criticism while commentating, when he reflected wide spread consternation at the current captain's timid approach. “I'm a little bit disappointed with some of the criticism, particularly from former Australian captains and Cricket Australia board members,” Ponting said with clear reference to Border. The game's longest-serving captain, who shares the name of the Trophy, said on Sunday that Australia had let a golden opportunity slip by failing to attack in the last session against the Indian tail. Australia's best bowler in the series, Mitchell Johnson, delivered just one over for the session and Brett Lee none. Ponting insisted that his spinners, including part timers Cameron White and Michael Clarke, were a viable option, although he did not mention the four overs of very occasional medium pace delivered by Mike Hussey. “Being nine overs down in the situation as we were, as captain of the Australian cricket team I felt I had a lot of responsibility to play the game in the right spirit,” Ponting said. “I have an obligation to bowl 90 overs in a day's play and the way we were heading, if the quicks had continued we might have been 12 overs down by the time the day ended. “At no stage did I feel it was totally negative bowling at the other end. With Cameron White I felt he would have been as good a chance as anyone of getting Harbhajan out because he tends to go after the spinners a bit more. “As soon as Michael Clarke was able to bowl (after being ill) he came back on. It was only a few months ago he won us a Test in Sydney with his bowling.” Chasing an impossible target for victory, Australia was bowled out for 209 at tea on the last day. SCOREBOARD It was Australia's worst series loss without winning a Test since going down 3-0 in Pakistan during 1982. After two Tests against a modest New Zealand side during the next month, this rapidly changing Australian team will be tested again with home and away series against South Africa and an Ashes series in England next year. Ponting lost the 2005 Ashes 2-1, although he was by far the best performed batsman in that series and he made amends with a 5-0 whitewash in the return bout two summers ago. It is unlikely that he will be around for a return bout against India in three years time given he turns 34 next month. Despite having the second best winning percentage of any captain in history who has led his side in more than 10 Tests, series success in India is set to forever elude Ponting. He has played in all or part of five Test series here and the only series success was initiated by deputy Adam Gilchrist in 2004 when Ponting was injured. He played in the last Test of that series and lost. Four of Ponting's six losses have come against India and the other two against England in '05. He has won 33 of 48 Tests. From his past six Tests against India, Ponting has lost three and drawn three. This series has once again highlighted how difficult it is for Australian Test teams to succeed in India despite recent one-day success. The 2-1 triumph in 2004 is the only Test series Australia has had in India since Bill Lawry's side won here in 1969. Ponting's misery was best summed up when he ran himself out for eight to end a modest series with the bat. Attempting to pinch a single to mid-off against the usually ordinary fielding of Amit Mishra he was caught half a metre short of his ground, when an underarm throw return hit the stumps. His sacrificial wicket was all part of the carnage reflecting Australia's hopeless position.
0,,6342634,00.jpg:gossip::gossip::gossip::gossip::gossip::gossip:
“The thing I'm most disappointed about is that there seems to be an inference out there that I've put myself totally ahead of the team,” Ponting said. “Anybody who knows me and knows the way I play my cricket or operate around the Australian cricket team or any team would hopefully not say that's the case.
This is a bit like the infamous "If you are questioning my integrity, you shouldn't be here" Sydney comment...how ironic that it has come back in this form. Still, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, the fast bowlers had been used for considerably long spells during the middle session and needed a long rest before they could operate (in particular Watson....Lee was off colour and Johnson can't keep the seam straight for reverse swing which was the only danger with pace out there)...so may be, his most attacking options were spin....hmmmm...
This is a bit like the infamous "If you are questioning my integrity, you shouldn't be here" Sydney comment...how ironic that it has come back in this form. Still, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, the fast bowlers had been used for considerably long spells during the middle session and needed a long rest before they could operate (in particular Watson....Lee was off colour and Johnson can't keep the seam straight for reverse swing which was the only danger with pace out there)...so may be, his most attacking options were spin....hmmmm...
So you think HUSSEY was his most attacking option?:haha:

Ponting can say what he want's but its obvious to anyone who saw the game that he allowed the game to get away from Australia just to save his ass there is no doubt about it. Ponting is stupid, he should have just bowled his seamers and even if they didnt take wickets and they were further behind the over rate, toss-pot Broad probably wouldn't have fined him edit: Nevertheless, Ponting and Australia couldn't escape the eagle eyes of Chris Broad, the match referee, who fined the captain 20 percent and his players 10 percent for the slow over-rate. - cricinfo

To be fair - I dont think it was an act of selfishness. i think this stupid brainless creature' date=' just lost the plot. Dint really know what he should be doing. Part of the blame should also goto those wise men who thought he's a captain material. I wont make him the captain for even my gully cricket team.[/quote'] :haha::haha::haha:

Australia faces up to reality A DAY after losing the plot in Nagpur, Australia has lost the Border-Gavaskar Trophy and much of its lustre as the ruler of the Test world. Mahendra Dhoni led India to a decisive and historic 2-0 series win, leaving Ricky Ponting's team to contemplate Australia's first series defeat since the 2005 Ashes, and the biggest of that scale in the two decades since the West Indies thumped Allan Border's Australians 3-1 in 1988-89. It was a horrible end for Ponting, who as captain was responsible for the slow over rate that on Sunday cost Australia a chance to push for a win, and yesterday ran himself out for eight in his team's frantic pursuit of the improbable victory target of 382 as India also plodded through its overs at a disgraceful rate. The Australians needed to win the fourth and final Test to square the series and retain the trophy, but on a wearing wicket against a quality spin attack the chase was beyond the Australians who were last night bowled out for 209, handing the Indians a 172-run win in the fluctuating last Test. In the same central Indian town where Australia four years ago celebrated its first victory on Indian soil in 35 years, the harsh reality of life without three of the champions who orchestrated that triumph — Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Adam Gilchrist — hit home for an Australian team that is entering a rugged and uncertain new era. With one wicket needed for India to reclaim the trophy after seven years in Australian clutches, Dhoni handed over the captaincy duties to Sourav Ganguly, the country's most successful skipper for whom this Australian series was a swansong. It was the perfect ending for the man who last wrested the trophy away from Australia in 2001, and who was chaired from the field by Harbhajan Singh and V.V.S. Laxman after the off-spinner used his doosra to dismiss Mitchell Johnson and seal Australia's demise. The Australians had hoped to expose the age of India's champions, and although an injured Anil Kumble slipped into retirement before the series was over, all except Rahul Dravid made great contributions to the Indian cause. The wheels fell off the Australian touring machine in Mohali, where the tourists were thrashed by 320 runs, and despite an improved performance for a draw in New Delhi, it was only the unexpected debut of Jason Krejza that kept their hopes of victory in Nagpur alive. Ponting knew it would be a huge challenge to defend the trophy with an inexperienced pace division and no established spinner, and leading into the series decider luck deserted him as well. The skipper lost the toss for the third successive Test and saw his strike bowler, Brett Lee, struck down by a gastric illness. Vice-captain Michael Clarke was also unwell, and had to bat with a runner in a losing cause. The belated addition of Krejza allowed Australia to take the 20 Indian wickets they had been unable to extract all series, but in the end his magical haul of 12 was in vain. The Australians started the final day of the series needing a further 369 runs, and openers Matthew Hayden and Simon Katich suggested they were prepared to go down swinging. Katich fell to Ishant Sharma when he skied a ball into Dhoni's gloves. Hayden has struggled to get going on the tour but tried to panic the Indians with an aggressive approach before he succumbed to Harbhajan Singh for the ninth time in his career. The Queenslander's wicket was celebrated harder than any other, for the Indians are acutely aware of his capabilities. Despite his stoic effort yesterday the 37-year-old was unable to reach those heights this time around. Nine days from now at the Gabba Australia begins a Test series against New Zealand, a team diminished by defections and injuries. After a defeat of this magnitude Ponting and the selectors will he hoping for a return to normal service. The skipper lost the toss for the third successive Test and saw his strike bowler, Brett Lee, struck down by a gastric illness. Vice-captain Michael Clarke was also unwell, and had to bat with a runner in a losing cause. The belated addition of Krejza allowed Australia to take the 20 Indian wickets they had been unable to extract all series, but in the end his magical haul of 12 was in vain. The Australians started the final day of the series needing a further 369 runs, and openers Matthew Hayden and Simon Katich suggested they were prepared to go down swinging. Katich fell to Ishant Sharma when he skied a ball into Dhoni's gloves. Hayden has struggled to get going on the tour but tried to panic the Indians with an aggressive approach before he succumbed to Harbhajan Singh for the ninth time in his career. The Queenslander's wicket was celebrated harder than any other, for the Indians are acutely aware of his capabilities. Despite his stoic effort yesterday the 37-year-old was unable to reach those heights this time around. Nine days from now at the Gabba Australia begins a Test series against New Zealand, a team diminished by defections and injuries. After a defeat of this magnitude Ponting and the selectors will he hoping for a return to normal service.

Roebuck whines about Overrate on D5 too: http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/a-victory-deserved-but-its-manner-left-a-lot-to-be-desired/2008/11/10/1226165481263.html

A victory deserved, but its manner left a lot to be desired ... But India stooped to conquer. Only 21.3 overs were bowled in the morning session, a ruse designed to slow the scoring and to bring bad light into play in the event of the Australians putting up a sustained fight. ... Fieldsmen dawdled, the drinks break lasted seven minutes, balls were thrown over bowlers' heads, leather-flingers trudged back to their marks, an inexperienced captain took an eternity to set his field. Deliveries came along about once a week - an acceptable rate from Woolworths but not the stuff of positive cricket. In short, India went to the very edge of the laws of the game. .............. Before long, too, he was instructing accomplished spinners to land the ball in the rough a foot outside leg-stump and positioning himself on that side of the stumps. Fieldsmen were sent hither and thither, most of them to protect the leg-side boundary. The sooner a law is passed permitting no more than six fieldsmen on any side of the wicket the better it will be for the game. .... For the second time in the match, Dhoni crossed the line between defensive and negative tactics. It was not a pretty sight. Perhaps it was merely the conduct of a new captain determined to prove himself. In time, Dhoni will temper the ruthlessness that inspired his players and damaged the game. Not that the visitors can grizzle
Again with the negative cricket. I remember choking runs and 7-2 fields were a hallmark of McGrath. Remember him in the 99-00 series and also in 2001 series trying to curb down Tendulkar's and Laxman stroke making with a very negative game as per Roebuck. What laws did Dhoni break yesterday, you senile old man?

If u read the complete article he clearly admits Aussie have used similar tactics in the past..

Roebuck whines about Overrate on D5 too: http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/a-victory-deserved-but-its-manner-left-a-lot-to-be-desired/2008/11/10/1226165481263.html Again with the negative cricket. I remember choking runs and 7-2 fields were a hallmark of McGrath. Remember him in the 99-00 series and also in 2001 series trying to curb down Tendulkar's and Laxman stroke making with a very negative game as per Roebuck. What laws did Dhoni break yesterday, you senile old man?