Croaking from cricket?? 2009-tours

Chandan

'Packed schedule makes it 'increasingly tough' : Dhoni Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the Indian captain, has said international players will be forced to opt out of matches in order to give themselves rest in a crammed calendar of cricket. More... Players will be forced to take breaks - Dhoni Cricinfo staff November 19, 2008 378245.jpgMahendra Singh Dhoni: "It's important for a player to decide when he cannot take it any more. It's getting increasingly tough, especially for the fast bowlers" © AFP Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the Indian captain, has said international players will be forced to opt out of matches in order to give themselves rest in a crammed calendar of cricket. Dhoni had skipped the three-Tests series in Sri Lanka earlier this year after an 18-month streak that included 14 Tests, 56 ODIs, eight Twenty20 internationals, and a high-voltage IPL. "I myself opted out of the Test series in Sri Lanka because I needed a break," he said. "It's important for a player to decide when he cannot take it any more. It's getting increasingly tough, especially for the fast bowlers. "Players know their body best and in future more and more players would come out and say that they are going to skip events." When asked whether players had fallen into the trap of excess cricket due to the riches on offer, Dhoni said: "It's not only about money. In fact when you play 10-12 years for India, you earn ample money. You don't need more unless you want to buy a chartered plane or have private airlines. Money will keep flowing as long as you play." Dhoni also clarified he would prefer to play for the country over his obligations with his franchise, Chennai Super Kings. Dhoni will lead Chennai in the inaugural Champions League from December 3-10, but if his team makes it to the final, Dhoni may have to make a choice between leading his franchise or India in the Ahmedabad Test against England, which starts on December 11. "I have no information regarding this but for me, country always comes first," Dhoni said. "I will go by whatever BCCI decides, but in case I have to make a choice, of course I would like to play the Test match."

Now our players will get ample rest as there is no Champion's League and Pak tour was cancelled. Our players, whose state side is in the KO round will participate in Ranji and after that Duleep trophy too. We'll have NZ tour in March and then IPL till May. When are we having our next test series, with whom and where?

2009-tours Future Tours Programme - 2009 January 2009 South Africa in Australia India in Pakistan -- x West Indies in New Zealand Sri Lanka in Bangladesh Zimbabwe in Bangladesh (3 ODIs) Tri-Series in Bangladesh (Ban, SL & Zim) February 2009 England in West Indies (4 Tests & 5 ODIs) New Zealand in Australia (5 ODIs) India in Pakistan -- x Australia in South Africa (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) India in New Zealand (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe (2 Tests & 3 ODIs) March 2009 England in West Indies Australia in South Africa India in New Zealand Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe April 2009 Australia in South Africa India in New Zealand West Indies in Bangladesh (2 Tests & 3 ODIs) May 2009 Zimbabwe in England (2 Tests & 3 ODIs) Tri-Series in Sri Lanka (Ind, SL & SA) June 2009 Zimbabwe in England ICC T20 World Championship Australia in England (5 Tests & 7 ODIs) July 2009 Australia in England New Zealand in Zimbabwe (2 Tests & 3 ODIs) Pakistan in Sri Lanka (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) August 2009 Australia in England Pakistan in Sri Lanka New Zealand in Sri Lanka (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) Bangladesh in Zimbabwe (2 Tests & 3 ODIs) September 2009 Australia in England New Zealand in Sri Lanka October 2009 Australia in India (7 ODIs) Zimbabwe in Bangladesh (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) November 2009 England in South Africa (4 Tests & 5 ODIs) Pakistan in Australia (3 Tests) Sri Lanka in India (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) Zimbabwe in Bangladesh December 2009 England in South Africa Pakistan in Australia West Indies in Australia (3 Tests) Sri Lanka in India India in Bangladesh (2 Tests) New Zealand in Pakistan (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) ----------------- again with the 7 odis crap(against the aussies-why?)

Good break for Indian cricketers in the next couple of quarters. Good to see that but they should play more test matches now when they are quite a force in test cricket. Disappointing they are playing only two test matches against NZ. Perhaps NZ doesn't deserve it. That said IPL is just around the corner and that will add to the itinerary.

Remove that India in Pakistan in Jan. Its not happening. If Lanka's new administration decides against touring Pakistan, Pakistan has no cricket till July. And There will be no international cricket in Pakistan till Dec 2009....provided NZ does not refuse to tour them. BCCI is deliberately killing test cricket. The money chasing shameless as$ holes are the worst bunch in cricket right now.

Remove that India in Pakistan in Jan. Its not happening. If Lanka's new administration decides against touring Pakistan, Pakistan has no cricket till July. And There will be no international cricket in Pakistan till Dec 2009....provided NZ does not refuse to tour them. BCCI is deliberately killing test cricket. The money chasing shameless as$ holes are the worst bunch in cricket right now.
SL is certainly touring Pakistan
Forget the Porkis ... where is Test Cricket in our country headed ... bloody Aussies play 14 tests next year and we barely 5 .... **** man that is ridiculous !!!
thats because aussies always play at least 5-6 tests at home ... and then they need to play similar number of tests away .. where as BCCI only wants to play ODIs

I like this schedule better than 2008 schedule for India. Admittedly the # tests in some series could have been better but atleast we don't play 14-15 tests like we did this year, and sometimes that can be bad as players might not understand the importance of winning an away tour..with things happening so fast. Its the wins to total matches played ratio which counts and not the amount of matches.

I like this schedule better than 2008 schedule for India. Admittedly the # tests in some series could have been better but atleast we don't play 14-15 tests like we did this year' date=' and sometimes that can be bad as players might not understand the importance of winning an away tour..with things happening so fast. Its the wins to total matches played ratio which counts and not the amount of matches.[/quote'] agreed but the kind of form we r in,we would want to play as many tests as we can to have a shot at no.1 ranking.as the things stand now,even if we beat the kiwis,we wnt be n0.1
agreed but the kind of form we r in' date='we would want to play as many tests as we can to have a shot at no.1 ranking.as the things stand now,even if we beat the kiwis,we wnt be n0.1[/quote'] As i said in another thread..we have no chance of being the #1 in 2009 and a good way into 2010.The primary reason being we just finished playing all the big teams..and now its the part of the cycle where we face teams from the lower half of the rankings..meanwhile SA and Aus continue to play each other.Even England play Aus in ashes.So there are no short-cuts.Its gonna take us good part of next 2 years,IF we maintain consistency. Also, remember how SA are in the position they are today..they initially won against all the lower ranked teams and moved onto the big teams.It took them 2 years to achieve the feat.
I like this schedule better than 2008 schedule for India. Admittedly the # tests in some series could have been better but atleast we don't play 14-15 tests like we did this year' date=' and sometimes that can be bad as players might not understand the importance of winning an away tour..with things happening so fast. Its the wins to total matches played ratio which counts and not the amount of matches.[/quote'] Even then 10 tests minimum is a must if we are looking to carry on the momentum gathered in last 4 months! 7 tests is too little! And then 6 weeks of IPL and 4 weeks of T20 WC will make everyone sick of this format. How do we counter it? By playing 7 ODIs with Australia!! :roll: 2009 is terrible for test lovers!!