Storm water may delay start to first test - "in village"

King

Cricket: Storm water may delay start to first test New 10:56AM Thursday Nov 20, 2008 BRISBANE - Storm damage after the covers blew apart means it's doubtful play will start on time in the first cricket test between Australia and New Zealand at the Gabba despite blue skies. Curator Kevin Mitchell Jnr says the Gabba "got smashed" by the storm which hit Brisbane overnight. "The covers actually blew apart just after one o'clock this morning," Mitchell told Sydney radio station 2KY today. "The test wicket is fine but we've got some water damage to the pitches adjacent to the wicket so we're just doing our best to dry that out so it's playable. He was not optimistic about being able to start play at 10am local time (1pm NZ time). "I think we might struggle," Mitchell said. "A lot of water got through there and I just think it might be little bit mushy. "The positive thing is that the weather is nice and sunny at the moment so hopefully we can dry it out enough so they can play." Mitchell said it would be a difficult decision whether to bat or bowl for the captain who won the toss. "It's a hard one. "The humidity may play a part in how long the ball swings. Oviously the wicket's been juiced up again last night. "I wouldn't really know what to do. It's a bit of an each way bet I think."

Reproduced from Cricinfo commentary: There's an issue with the sight screen again and the players will take a drinks break. That last over from Elliott should make Australia feel good after several quiet overs. It's rather unusual seeing Australia this subdued..
Amazing... was Haydos standing in the slips with his hands on the hips like he did in third world countries?