Tendulkar at his best is better than Lara: Ponting

DomainK

MELBOURNE: Australia captain Ricky Ponting may not have much love for Team India but he was liberal in his praise of individuals like Sachin Tendulkar whom he placed ahead of West Indian batting great Brian Lara. "I have always maintained that he (Tendulkar) at his best was fractionally ahead of Brian Lara at his best, and they are the best two batsmen I have played against," Ponting wrote in his 'captain's Diary 2008'. "As I write this, he has scored 14 international hundreds against Australia during his career (seven in Tests, seven in ODIs), and I have been on the field for many of them, so I have plenty of opportunities to gauge just how magnificent and complete a batsman he is," he said in a specially highlighted reference to the Mumbai maestro. The Aussie captain said he tried to set up schemes and strategies to trap Tendulkar but the Indian almost always broke the code. "We have tried a wide variety of schemes and strategies, but he's usually had the answer to all of them. "For me, right at the start of my Test career, it was a great experience just to see such a champion player going about his business in his conditions," he said in reference to a contest in Mumbai. Ponting also singled out the just retired Indian captain Anil Kumble and promising pacer Ishant Sharma for special appreciation and said batsmen could not relax against the two. "Kumble made his Test debut back in 1990, and his feat in reaching this milestone is a tribute to his remarkable durability. "The ability to succeed at the highest level for an extended period is something I admire greatly, because it requires a certain toughness, mental strength and a persistent streak that few sportspersons possess. You need to be smart, too. "He might be getting even better with age. It's an exclusive group, the 500-plus Test wickets club, and the Indian captain fully deserves to be a member of it," Ponting said. He also lauded Indian speedster Sharma for his awesome spell during the Perth Test. "Tall, lean, ultra-impressive Ishant Sharma, playing just his fourth Test and still eight-and-a half months short of his 20th birthday, had bowled an awesome spell to me: Seven overs when he was fast, aggressive and relentless, where I never felt as if I was truly 'in'," he said. http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sachin_at_his_best_is_better_than_Lara_Ponting/articleshow/3750778.cms

1.Warne 2.Donald 3.Ponting all 3 have said the same thing. all have played against him for a reasonable period of time. McGrath has a slightly different opinion - he places Lara fractionally ahead. But point is, to be ranked as one among the top 2 batsmen in the last 20 years in itself is a remarkable achievement, especially under so much pressure and expectations.

1.Warne 2.Donald 3.Ponting all 3 have said the same thing. all have played against him for a reasonable period of time. McGrath has a slightly different opinion - he places Lara fractionally ahead. But point is, to be ranked as one among the top 2 batsmen in the last 20 years in itself is a remarkable achievement, especially under so much pressure and expectations.
Add to that Steve Waugh who had said that Tendulkar is the best batsman since Bradman. Also add to that Lara himself who on several occasions admitted that Tendulkar is a far superior batsman.

oh shyte... we cant bash ponting in this thread .. can we? oh well here is one..

"For me, right at the start of my Test career, it was a great experience just to see such a champion player going about his business in his conditions," he said in reference to a contest in Mumbai.
wat do u mean dimwit ponting??? doesnt he go about his business in alien conditions like in ozz or SAF... have u forgotten the 241* or the ones in last summer.. u hafa peanut sized brain .. shame u lead acricket team..... ponting has lost it completely here.. got mentally disintegarted by us...been pwned by us... phew.. now im gladd to let out my steam.. :-D
oh shyte... we cant bash ponting in this thread .. can we? oh well here is one..
"For me, right at the start of my Test career, it was a great experience just to see such a champion player going about his business in his conditions," he said in reference to a contest in Mumbai. [/quoute] wat do u mean dimwit ponting??? doesnt he go about his business in alien conditions like in ozz or SAF... have u forgotten the 241* or the ones in last summer.. u hafa peanut sized brain .. shame u lead acricket team..... ponting has lost it completely here.. got mentally disintegarted by us...been pwned by us... phew.. now im gladd to let out my steam.. :-D
:haha::haha: