Things you will never forget about this Test match

Predator_05

Brilliant thread. One that should be stuck. One from me: a point that I think was the turning point of the match: When Sehwag forced KP, with that huge lead and all the advantages on his side, started bowling a negative line outside wide the leg stump. That was a demonstration of fear and surrender. That declared the positions clearly to everyone. That set the mind set. England could never recover from that as the Indian batsmen kept on playing with amazing confidence. Gone are the days when Tendulkar was the only one hungry of winning and doing the impossible. Every other team player is standing right behind him to do anything to win.

Super thread, superb points by all! thanks Predz, Good on you to remember so many points. i infact did not even notice the ball going for 4 and the target achieved, all i could remember was seeing the paddle go on running down, SRT crossing, and tears literally welled up and i had to remove my spects and was wiping my eyes when my colleague told, congrats, we won the match!

Leaving aside the quality of the cricket, which was truly exceptional, there were small things which i made a mental note of while watching this epic unfold. Collectively, they will all contribute to making this test an all-time classic. 1. Sehwag and Gambhir sitting in the pavilion, laughing to themselves at Amit Mishra who nonchalantly whacked Panesar over mid on for 4. India were trailing England by some 90 runs at this stage yet judging by the demeanor of these two, you would think they were 200 ahead. It was a shot Sehwag would have been proud of 2. Gary Kirsten talking about how India was, in his words, "a team is capable of anything", equipped with players that could do some "special stuff" on a cricket field after day 3, a day which was dominated by England. How right he was 3. Flintoff constant staring and chirping at Yuvraj in an attempt to get him rattled. Yuvraj would uncharacteristically walk over to square leg and avoid any eye contact. A sign of how much there was at stake. Flintoff also changed his bowling action at the release once - not raising his non-bowling arm in an effort to confuse the batsman...desperation ? 4. Harmison picking a ball up after it played back to him by Yuvraj and then throwing it straight at his toes. I wish bowlers wouldn't do this, one of these days those throws may cause some grievous bodily harm...:winky: 5. Sehwag and Kirsten chatting happily to each other in the pavilion, without a care in the world for anything. Their enthusiasm and carefree attitude is infectious 6. Tendulkar stuck on 49 for what seemed like 5 hours. The crowd would build up the noise, only for him to delay the inevitable. The tension while Harmison appealed for a close lbw which struck him just outside off-stump (but rising over only marginally) was palpable - the cheer from crowd following the Englishmen's frustration even more so. 7. Pietersen smiling cleverly in Yuvraj's direction during a drinks break, as if to say, 'awww come on, don't you fancy it', as the umpire walked in between them. Yuvraj was then seen talking to Pietersen, must have been pleading for him to play the game fairly without any verbal BS. So much restraint 8. The crowd, growing by the minute as India closed in on a historic victory, vociferously cheering every dot ball Yuvraj played with Tendulkar a run or two away from his hundred at the other end. Then the massive gasp as Tendulkar nearly knocked one back onto his stumps on 99...the crowd wearing their heart on their sleeves, feeling every move their adopted son made, willing him towards his hundred... 9. The reaction after Tendulkar paddle swept 4...the groundstaff - barefooted men in green shirts and shorts, diminutive women in sarees running over to Tendulkar just to touch him as he walked back, random people hugging him...and the master acknowledged them all. There was also a crippled boy whose hand he shook on route to the pavilion, and then Ravi Shastri embracing him as if he was a member of the team...commentator neutrality be damned, i'm an Indian cricket fan too, just for this one second. This is probably how nutty Evangelicals would greet Jesus if he ever returned...the world will never see another cricketer capable of commanding such strong, emotional reactions from the crowd. Now that's how you win a game. Needless to say, I hope the DVD comes out soon. INDIA 4 EVER
:hatsoff: The stand out point for me was the victorious fist punch from the Almighty, after reaching the unconquered mission from 10 years ago !!!
2. Gary Kirsten talking about how India was' date=' in his words, "a team is capable of anything", equipped with players that could do some "special stuff" on a cricket field after day 3, a day which was dominated by England. How right he was[/quote'] Forward to 5:30 [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fXmeSpCeoo&feature=channel_page]YouTube - We didn't bat, as we wanted to: Kirsten[/ame]