Holy Cow! Australian Selectors

umpire

It was obvious they lost their marbles when they allowed Ponting to play Cameron White as the team's 'Lead Spinner' for the first 3 test of a 4 test match series against Australia. Beau Casson is considered as Australia's most promising spinning prospect, but he is ignored for an Indian tour, in the name of 'shielding' him. Watons performs well against India, but immediately is dropped for Symonds, a man with no form and a doubtful disciplinary record that gets worse by the day. And now, as it has been pointed out in the OP, there's essentially a musical chair going on between Krezja and Hauritz. Somewhere, something has gone wrong with Australian cricket.

You gutless, thoughtless sacks of ****. Please retire, now. Bollinger has been criminally ignored for a while, other class players have been ignored on the sidelines at the expense of the side's balance just to accomodate Symonds, and the ridiculous approach to bowling selection especially with spinners (and the absurd tolerance given to Bung) is just nonsense. Put someone like Mark Taylor in charge who actually knows what the hell's going on in the game, and get these incompetent idiots out.

Aussies also said that Benaud will not be replaced but Warne turned out to be better than him. Is Hilditch predicting the future?? Somebody can turn out to be better than Warne in future.
I've never seen or heard that said of Benaud. Bill O'Reilly and Clarrie Grimmett, for a start, would be above Richie on any list. Although it's unlikely to happen, I agree with your second sentence.

For the record (and for younger fans who might not be familiar with the above mentioned greats) O'Reilly (1932 - '46) : 27 Tests. 144 wickets @ 22.59 Grimmett (1925 - '36) : 37 Tests. 216 wickets @ 24.21 Benaud (1952 - '64) : 63 Tests. 248 wickets @ 27.03 Yes, I realise they are from different eras and stats aren't necessarily the only measure of a cricketer.

For the record (and for younger fans who might not be familiar with the above mentioned greats) O'Reilly (1932 - '46) : 27 Tests. 144 wickets @ 22.59 Grimmett (1925 - '36) : 37 Tests. 216 wickets @ 24.21 Benaud (1952 - '64) : 63 Tests. 248 wickets @ 27.03 Yes, I realise they are from different eras and stats aren't necessarily the only measure of a cricketer.
Benaud was invaluable as a captain. If you combine that with his skills he was a hell of a cricketer.