My God!!

Dhondy

Flabbergasted, astonished, zapped, electrified. At 198 for 7 yesterday morning, I couldn't see the match lasting beyond 4 days. Australia had stormed back, Siddle was the new kid on the block, SA were crumbling as everybody expected them to, and all was well with the world again. Just woke up and thought there must be some mistake when I saw Hayden batting and the legend "Australia trail by 64 at the top right hand corner". How is this possible? From 198 for 7 to 459? In Australia? At the MCG? Are we now in a parallel universe? Has the world been taken over by Martians? Surely, this must count as the greatest ever fightback by a lower order in the 120 year history of Test cricket? Can anybody see Australia coming back from here? They must feel bruised, battered, utterly humiliated. South Africa haven't just knocked their citadel over, they have walked all over the rotting wood and had a picnic among the ruins of an edifice that had stood for over a decade and half under three successive captains. And what of JP Duminy! Was that, by some distance, the most impressive debut series home or away against Australia? I'll let the statisticians put the missing pieces in places, but this kid has set fire to the bush- it's now a raging inferno- and in the process become the most hated, and in equal measure, the most admired foreign sportsman in Australia since Johnny Wilkinson in 2003. Brett Lee's absence helped, and Steyn's 72 put the pitch in perspective, but this was two Test matches in a row, a massive snook cocked by some irreverent cricketers in the champions' backyard. The king is dead. Long live the king.

Well, Dhondy, I woke up much before you did- at tea break. They were showing the highlights of the previous sessions and I actually thought they were showing some old game and that this match got interrupted by rain or something. And then I opened cricinfo and it took me sometime to realize what was happening.

Flabbergasted, astonished, zapped, almost electrocuted. Surely, this muxt count as the greatest fightback in the 120 year history of Test cricket? Can anybody see Australia coming back from here? They must feel bruised, battered, utterly humiliated. South Africa haven't just knocked their citadel over, they have walked all over the rotting wood and had a picnic among the ruins of an edifice that had stood for over a decade and half under three successive captains. The king is dead. Long live the king.
No, the 2001 Kolkata Test was the greatest comeback. Lets not forget, that was one of the best teams ever against a talented but directionless team.

There've been a lot of better fightback. A superb knock, but let's not go overboard with the praise and think this dwarfs incidents like Headingley 81, Bradman's innings in '37 at the MCG to save a series from a 0-2 scoreline and eventually inspire a 3-2 win, VVS and Dravid's partnership and Lara's 153. Australia right now are simply not what they once were. Their aura is gone, shattered by both India and South Africa's successes, the sights of senior players such as Hayden, Lee and Symonds going from dominating opposition ruthlessly to struggling for runs or wickets, and a directionless captain and selectors at the helm, unable to dictate play on the field or to even decide on a consistent team to represent the country. That said, Duminy was fabulous. The lad will be a real star. Incredibly cool under pressure with a good range of shots, tremendous patience and never panicked despite the situation of 180-odd/7 yesterday. And full credit to Steyn and Harris for their roles. I thought the difference between the tails could be SAF's undoing in one test, as Johnson/Lee seemed to add so much more to the Australian lower order. Steyn and Harris made it very clear the SAF lower order was grossly underestimated.

what was really amusing was hearing the likes of slater saying (in the prelunch session) that this was the first time this series that the south african tail had shown some nerve and fight. Notwithstanding the fact that it was Aus who had batted two full innings in the first match and one in the second... Interspersed with comments from Mr Nicholas like 'siddle has steyn in his sights for 5 balls, that should do'!

what was really amusing was hearing the likes of slater saying (in the prelunch session) that this was the first time this series that the south african tail had shown some nerve and fight. Notwithstanding the fact that it was Aus who had batted two full innings in the first match and one in the second... Interspersed with comments from Mr Nicholas like 'siddle has steyn in his sights for 5 balls, that should do'!
Mark Nicholas bums the Aussies more than they bum themselves.
Australia is truly done & dusted. I dont see the Aussies coming back from here. SA is the new no. 1 test team. This a fairly young side & will likely stay at the top for a while.
I wouldnt go as far as that. Dont forget, whatever runs Australia make, the Saffies will have to make it on day 5. Yes yes, no one has forgotten Perth, but even if its just 250 runs that South Africa have to make on day 5, it will still give Australia an outside chance.
I wouldnt go as far as that. Dont forget, whatever runs Australia make, the Saffies will have to make it on day 5. Yes yes, no one has forgotten Perth, but even if its just 250 runs that South Africa have to make on day 5, it will still give Australia an outside chance.
brett lee wont play anymore,so sa has even more chance of a series win
Its only fitting that we hit the nail in the coffin when we visit Australia next by beating them in their backyard.
thats a fairly long time away.by then,many teams would have beaten them n us beating them would only be a formality:winky: SA has started the trend
Am talking about the shift in momentum in this series, not this game. I have never seen Australia gift away its vantage position at key moments in an important series. This isnt the first time this is happening though. Remember the Bangalore test vs India, when the Aussies had India on the mat in the first innings ? They couldnt blast out the tail & bowl us out in time. Bhajji & Zaheer both scored 50s much like Steyn. Aussies got progressively worse in the series eventually losing 2-0. I dont see Aussies coming back from here
Am talking about the shift in momentum in this series, not this game. I have never seen Australia gift away its vantage position at key moments in an important series. This isnt the first time this is happening though. Remember the Bangalore test vs India, when the Aussies had India on the mat in the first innings ? They couldnt blast out the tail & bowl us out in time. Bhajji & Zaheer both scored 50s much like Steyn. Aussies got progressively worse in the series eventually losing 2-0. I dont see Aussies coming back from here
Australia still have an outside chance, but whatever they make tomorrow, Saffies will have to chase on day 5. But seeing how effective the Aussie bowlers have been so far, the Saffies are favs to atleast draw it.