Hussey should retire

If he is dropped which you agree he should be. Then should he not reitire or be consigned to history by the selectors as he is after all 34? Surley there is no way back for him if he is axed at his age?
If he is dropped which he should be, he doesn't have to retire. He can still work his way back into contention with big scores. No one expected Katich to come back, but the selectors couldn't deny him when he was scoring 100's every game. I wouldn't rule him out once he gets dropped. Surely it's close now. Unless he comes up with a big score in the next innings, I think he's gone for the 4th test.

I am livid that Hussey, who has done **** all for a while now, got picked ahead of a young gun who's only had some short ball issues but still has done more in his brief 5 match career than Hussey has in the last year or so. Hughes is a very good young talent and people make a big deal about his short ball struggles - but what about the fact that these days Hussey's unable to find his off stump and doesn't know what's coming to it, or what's going outside? Isn't that a far bigger issue for a batsman than not handling short stuff at the ribs (which plenty of other batsmen struggled with and got around)?

I am livid that Hussey' date=' who has done **** all for a while now, got picked ahead of a young gun who's only had some short ball issues but still has done more in his brief 5 match career than Hussey has in the last year or so. Hughes is a very good young talent and people make a big deal about his short ball struggles - but what about the fact that these days Hussey's unable to find his off stump and doesn't know what's coming to it, or what's going outside? Isn't that a far bigger issue for a batsman than not handling short stuff at the ribs (which plenty of other batsmen struggled with and got around)?[/quote'] You are spot on mate. It's the stupid media's fault, I feel for Hughes.. Watson should of come in for Hussey.

Hughes his technically deficient for test cricket. He has been exposed and will continue to be. His knocks in SA were so lucky. Played and missed so many times and so many bals some how found gaps in gully and point. To me it seems the batting strength of aussies is suprisingly weak, with not the conveyor belt of talent coming through as we first though. As evidenced by another average player North in the team

KT, I'd disagree. Playing the short ball is overrated. Steve Waugh couldn't and he averaged 50+ in test cricket. Sourav Ganguly never could do it comfortably and unlike Waugh, he couldn't restrain himself from the odd pull. Yet he had a fantastic international career as well. Others like Sehwag, Yousuf and Eunice Khan have never been too comfortable against the short ball. The short ball is not a big issue if a batsman can learn how to get out of the way and duck well. However, not being able to figure out the basic line and length of a ball is another issue. In his last 2 innings Hussey has left balls hitting the top of off stump. What's a bigger flaw? Would you rather have a batsman who can't pull and hook but can pick balls off his stumps perfectly and can play plenty of other shots - or a batsman who can pull and hook beautifully, but doesn't know when to leave and can be undone by the first ball he faces if it's pitched up and hitting the top of the stumps?

KT, I'd disagree. Playing the short ball is overrated. Steve Waugh couldn't and he averaged 50+ in test cricket. Sourav Ganguly never could do it comfortably and unlike Waugh, he couldn't restrain himself from the odd pull. Yet he had a fantastic international career as well. Others like Sehwag, Yousuf and Eunice Khan have never been too comfortable against the short ball. The short ball is not a big issue if a batsman can learn how to get out of the way and duck well. However, not being able to figure out the basic line and length of a ball is another issue. In his last 2 innings Hussey has left balls hitting the top of off stump. What's a bigger flaw? Would you rather have a batsman who can't pull and hook but can pick balls off his stumps perfectly and can play plenty of other shots - or a batsman who can pull and hook beautifully, but doesn't know when to leave and can be undone by the first ball he faces if it's pitched up and hitting the top of the stumps?[/QUOTE] IMO that happened to Hussey bcoz it was the first ball he faced,it can take soome time to get settled ,remember how Strauss got bowled leaving the ball at Lords,plus Hussey is not in geat form,wen he is he is one of the best in leaving the ball outside off

Hughes was so lucky in SA. His main shot was slashing it through gully/point in the air. No idea how it kept flying through gap but it was flukey. Also played and missed so many times it was getting silly that he just would not nick them. He has major flaws from short ball to Very limited scoring areas. He is not the real deal and has been frankly hopeless on this tour and so rightly dropped.

I may sound like a broken record, Hussey’s recent failings once again highlight the true greatness of Sachin. Its quite normal for top flight international batsmen to have 2-3 prolific seasons, where it seems as though they score runs even in their sleep. But, its incredibly hard to do it for years on end. And Sachin has not just been doing it for a handful of years, he has been doing it for two decades. He is quite simply, THE greatest batsmen in the post-war era. The Laras, the Borders, the Gavaskars, the Pontings, the Dravids and the Kallis’ all come a distant third, while someone like Viv Richards comes a close second.

^^ Because he is Mr. Cricket and there probably aren't any good replacements. Its all good and well having a bunch of players who have done well in domestic cricket, but he has proved himself in tests and they are probably just giving him a few extra chances because they know what he is capable of at the top level