Graeme Smith writes....

Lord

ONE of the most frequent stories about me is that I wrote down my ambitions on a piece of paper when I was 12 years old and stuck it on the fridge. Aside from a couple of obvious ones (to please my parents) like passing exams and behaving well, at the top of the list I wrote that I wanted to captain the South African cricket team. Obviously that came true 5½ years ago, but it was only the beginning of my ambition. On our last tour to Australia three years ago I thought it was important to show that we would not be intimidated, on or off the field, and I also wanted to deflect attention away from the younger guys in the team. We lost the series and I was criticised, understandably, but there was method in my approach. This time we decided to concentrate all our energy on our own game and ignore everything we couldn't control. Cricketers never worry about the weather, for example, because there is nothing you can do to change it. So any distraction, like the make-up and selection of the Australian team, did not concern us. It's fair to say we started talking about this tour almost as soon as we arrived home three years ago. It has always been in the back of our minds, even through this year when we had tours to India and England. If I was still in the habit of sticking notes on my fridge door, I would have stuck one there three years ago and it would simply have said: "Win in Australia next time." The challenge now, as it was with my captaincy, is not to treat the achievement as "mission accomplished" but to use it as the start of a brand new journey, a new era. I mean every word when I speak of my respect for the Australian team, it is not a PR stunt. And I know how hard it is to fall into the no-man's land between planning for the future and being loyal to proven performers and match-winners. Both are important. Soon after losing 2-0 three years ago, Mickey Arthur and I drew up a three-year plan. We identified what we believed we needed to win in Australia and then identified the players we thought could do the job. We then backed them and supported them, especially through the lean times. I can assure you there will be absolutely no sense of anti-climax about the Sydney Test. We are all very aware of the prize that awaits us if we can win again and we have all dreamed of being No. 1. But I'm told that Australia has never suffered a clean-sweep at home in a series of three Tests or more. That tells you all you need to know about how hard it will be.

a very well written article.shows how focussed' date='determined n honest this guy is. [b']respects the aussies even after thrashing them.n knows wat it takes to make a good team.
Something India would do well to keep in mind. Never underestimate the Aus team. I think our players dont underestimate them ever, sometimes the fans do!