Most Irritating Commentator

Surprised that none of you even mentioned Bill Lawry as your favorite :dontknow: He's my all time favorite commentator coz no-one calls the cricket better than Lawry :hatsoff: He may not be that popular since he's seldom seen out side Channel Nine. But he is undoubtedly one of the finest television commentators. An instinctive,entertaining,natural story teller. Add to that Bill is the most unbiased (not so when MCG comes in to picture :winky:) Australian commentator along side Richie Benaud. Put Bill Lawry in a T20 match, he can be as exciting and energy filled as David Lloyd or Tony Greig. Bill's half hour stint will even enliven the boring mid-innings of an ODI match. He's nowhere near terse knowledge of a Richie or blunt words of Chappel. Yet Bill has been an integral part of Channel Nine test team with famous phrases like "its all happening at the MCG", " bang..ripper!","Got him, yes!"

I was shocked when I saw sree_india saying he doesnt like Harsha Bogle... Well in the early nineties when we were introduced to cricket telecast on satellite tvs, harsha came across as a refreshing new face of cricket commentary. Sick of alternating english and hndi commentary on DD from home grown wanabes like Narotam Purie, M L Jaisimha... and bored of ex-cricketer turned comentators like Gavaskar and others, Harsha's non-cricketing background, his sense of humour and his deep knowledge about cricket made us to sit up and listen... There used to be times when we used to keep the tv on zero volume (there was no remote in those days and hence no mute) and listen to tamil commentry on radio :) Although I can understand hindi, numbers are never within my grasp. When the commentator says "bharat ek sau ninyanavey, do wicket ke nuksan par".. I was like WTF is ninyanavey!!! Satellite TVs like Star and ESPN changed all that with little or no hindi commentry, although Star experiemented with on demand hindi commentary during late 90s and failed. Here I have to admit that even before the satellite channels came to the fore, the bi-annual sharjah tournament used to have a decent commentator by the name Henry Blofeld (not sure whether I spelt it right). He shot to fame by commentating not on cricket but the ear rings of the ladies in the sharjah balconies. He was the first foreign commentator whom I knew by name... In the 90s, satellite channels introduced so many new faces but one man's rise was phenomenal and I dont think he has had any serious competition from any other indian commentator till date. The name is Ravi Shastri, the man who had a very mediocre cricketing career but a very successful one as a commentator. Gavaskar always turned out to be a next door uncle who goes nostalgic every now and then... During this period, Kapil Dev, Srikanth etc tried their luck but never really made it big, due to their lack of command over the english language, although I feel Srikant, with a little bit of hard work could have become a better commentator than he ever managed. Then there was Charu Sharma, Sanjay Manjrekar, Arun Lal and the latest being Laxman SRK. Well well... Siddhu during the late 90s and early 2000s was defintely fun listening to. I dont know why so many ppl are agaist him. But I definitely loved his commentary, not because of its technical content, but for the comedy. When you can put up with Mandira Bedi in the name of Glam quotient, why not Mr. Singh for his comic quotient??? So, if I have to pick my favorites it would be like... Indians - Ravi Shastri, Harsha Bhogle, Sunil Gavaskar (simply for the way he dishes it out to Aussie's in the box), Siddhu Non-Indians - Geoffrey Boycott, David Lloyd, Micheal Holding, Tony Greig (Sharjah, Tony and Sachin centuries are LEGEND), Wasim Akram (simply for the quality of English - that too coming from a Pakistani mouth) Least favorites (the ones whom I want to :whack: if I get a chance) Indians - M L Jaisimha, Lxman SRK, Charu Sharma, Mandira Bedi (if I can include her here :-) Non-Indians - Richie Benaud (although people world over think that he's the best thing to happen to television commenatry, I somehow can never stand his old fashioned, very diplomatic and often saying the obvious things on AIR), Ian Chappel (this guy never smiles and always speaks with some sort of pain in his bums), Ricky Ponting (anything Punter does or will do in the future would be hated by me), All Sri Lankan commies (who spk English like Sinhalese, Sanga when he turns commentator could be an exception), Ian Botham, Nasser Hussain, Mike Atherton Pat Symcox, Robin Jackman, Tony Cozier

Laxman SRK is definitely one of the most annoying. His constant cries of 'it doesn't get any better' really need to be limited...
Imagine a commentary team comprising of LSRK, Ranjit Fernando, Pameez Raja, Arun Lal and Waqar Younis :haha::haha: Star Cricket almost had such a team during last Asia Cup !!

Mark Nicholas is an Ozzie plant, hes a 'dhanda chor', chumma BSes about Australia till Kingdom Come. I like Tony Greig because he always shows a pair when everyone else toes a line, e.g his immediate defense of Harbhajan when Michael Slater was going on and on about something that might have been said. Greig retorted to Slater about his own misbehavior to which of Slater shut his gob. Gower - Like him for his flowing commentary in very crisp Upper crust English. Of all the Desi commentators: I like Shastri for his stern positions and unwavering support of India, Gavaskar is a yawn away from sleeping. Axcellent doesnt make sense half the time, just goes through the motions, Rameez is too sarcastic to be serious. L SRK .... the less said abt him the better, I am happy he's been taken care of though, I thought he suffered great injustice in his playing years.

Surprised that none of you even mentioned Bill Lawry as your favorite :dontknow: He's my all time favorite commentator coz no-one calls the cricket better than Lawry :hatsoff: He may not be that popular since he's seldom seen out side Channel Nine. But he is undoubtedly one of the finest television commentators. An instinctive,entertaining,natural story teller. Add to that Bill is the most unbiased (not so when MCG comes in to picture :winky:) Australian commentator along side Richie Benaud. Put Bill Lawry in a T20 match, he can be as exciting and energy filled as David Lloyd or Tony Greig. Bill's half hour stint will even enliven the boring mid-innings of an ODI match. He's nowhere near terse knowledge of a Richie or blunt words of Chappel. Yet Bill has been an integral part of Channel Nine test team with famous phrases like "its all happening at the MCG", " bang..ripper!","Got him, yes!"
:hatsoff: Lawry's one of my favourite commentators. Even a boring passage of play gets more entertaining to follow when he's on the mic; a hallmark of a top commentator. As far as the C9 team goes, I'll also add a nomination for Mark Nicholarse when we're talking about 'most irritating'.

When I see Tony Greig commentating in Aussie series', I somehow get the impression he's deliberately trying to be Anti-Aussie. Its quite obvious that even within the commentating team, its mostly Greig vs the Rest. I dont if this a conscious decision take by Greig himself or the broadcasters themselves wanted it to be this way so that it spices up the commentary a bit.

interesting reactions .... on a side note, I sometimes really wish Gavaskar would tone down his anti Australian rhetoric. I can never forget how during the seond ydney test, during the breaks, sunny comes into the channel 9 commentary box and openly blasts all the aussie commentators who were giving the indians a hard time throughout that test and of course, it was just magical wathing him shred ponting to pieces after he took that dodgy catch

Non-Indians - Richie Benaud (although people world over think that he's the best thing to happen to television commenatry, I somehow can never stand his old fashioned, very diplomatic and often saying the obvious things on AIR), Ian Chappel (this guy never smiles and always speaks with some sort of pain in his bums), Ricky Ponting (anything Punter does or will do in the future would be hated by me), All Sri Lankan commies (who spk English like Sinhalese, Sanga when he turns commentator could be an exception), Ian Botham, Nasser Hussain, Mike Atherton Pat Symcox, Robin Jackman, Tony Cozier
benaud; when eveyone gets hysterial, this guy's as ool as a cucumber, a really admirable trait, imo ian; he atually is an exellent ommentator; not afrad to dish it out who the opposition is ponting; well, I hope this lown never goes never a ommentary box for an example of a true grumpy old fart, hek out rodney hogg. This guy is under the delusion that Australia are still the "dominators"; I remember him sproting rubbish about the indian team before their tour down under. When we had that shok victory in perth, you should've seen his face when he provided post match analysis on the "inside cricket" show, shown on fox sports