Worrying about Indian batting

A recurrent feature of the Indian cricketing landscape, especially since the Azhar-three spinner era of the early 1990s, has been the optimistic expectation of a New Dawn in Indian cricket following a win or two, perhaps in a series, perhaps in a solitary game. Such optimism (whether journalistic or fan-based) has, ever since the first Indian Test win (Chepauk 1952), never flagged in its timing or its hopefulness. And nowhere is it more manifest than in the period immediately following a home season that has gone well for the Men in Blue (or White). We are in a similar period now, following the Test wins at home over Australia and England. Sure, no one is going overboard in their claims (leaving aside some suggestions that the Indian bowling attack was the most varied or the most incisive or whatever, in the cricketing world). But the feel-good vibe is present, with the twin Test series (and the 5-0 ODI thrashing of England) putting a convenient distance between the team and its recent past. But the anxiety that underwrites this bluster has, for me, been most intriguingly revealed in the discussion over whether Dravid should remain in the Indian team, especially for the forthcoming tour of New Zealand. For the central claim of the pro-Dravid camp in this regard is that Dravid is needed in Kiwiland, on its spongy, seaming, pitches. That without him, the Indian middle-order will be at the mercy of those dreaded seamers, cutters, swingers that are the hallmark of the New Zealand attack. On the face of it, there is something very odd about this claim. The Indian cricketing world is currently glowing in the glory of its new opening pair (confidently proclaimed by some to be the best in the world); we have rediscovered the glories of Tendulkar and Laxman; and only one batting retirement, that of Ganguly, has taken place. The Indian team has not replaced its entire middle order and the New Zealand team is judged by most folks to thoroughly deserve its position in the Test cricket rankings table. Given the bluster about India and the brick-batting of New Zealand, it would be plausible to claim that India should do just fine and win comfortably (we do have a very effective pace attack, after all). Whither this anxiety then? Will the replacement of Dravid by a relative newbie (and not necessarily at No. 3) do such damage to the Indian team, if it really is poised for greatness? I think what this argument reveals is that there is considerable worry about the Indian batting. Most of Gambhir's heroics have come at home; Yuvraj remains untested overseas as well; Laxman might be going off the boil; and you can insert your favourite worries about Sehwag (loose cannon) and Tendulkar (will age catch up soon?) here. (I only worry about Yuvraj and Gambhir but I sense insecurity about the entire order out there). The caution that pervades the latest spell of boosterism for the Indian team is appropriate. Much needs to be done: the Holy Grail of away wins over South Africa and Australia will only come when the batting order can do well there and if the quicks can remain injury-free and turn in consistent match-winning performances over an extended period. For what its worth, I cannot make up my mind on whether Dravid should stay or go. But the arguments made on his behalf have been very revealing of the justifiable guardedness the Indian fan has at this point in Indian cricket. http://blogs.cricinfo.com/diffstrokes/archives/2009/01/worrying_about_indian_batting.php#more Bold: He echoes my sentiments exactly

I think Dravid is surely struggling, and is a big worry. IMO, he should focus on domestics now for a while. Not to say, that he cannot suddenly score a big 100 in NZ - but selectors will have to take a leap of faith. The main issue is GG untested in such pitches, and Yuvi is a question mark still (in non-Indian conditions). Sehwag ofcourse you cannot predict. But if you have GG (untested), Yuvi (question mark), some newbie instead of RD (Badri or Rohit or ...again untested in Tests in such conditions) - thats where the worry is still there - 3 out of top 6 are "?" (except VS, SRT and VVS).

I have absolutely no worries and no concerns. The talent is there in Sharma, Yuvraj, Jaffer, etc etc. The problem is not lack of talent, it's the fact that domestic pitches are all slow and low without a whole lot of swing so ineviteabely it takes any Indian batsmen time in the international circuit to get used to those conditions and develop his game. If there is a worry it's that the dinosaur that is the BCCI is far too slow and bureacratic to make swift changes to the domestic conditions that will help the young batsmen play better against the short pitched stuff and bowler friendly conditions. It's the same with Australia. For all the talent, and class guys like Hayden, Ponting etc have they were done in the first couple of test by deliveries that didn't bounce as high as they do in Australia and their technique wasn't built to expect and instinctively handle the consistent low bounce. Eventually they did adjust but it was too late. At a time when we have genuince fast bowling talent and a great batting line up the spin department is no longer the factor it was once in the Indian team but the stupid BCCI is too slow to react to this.

I don't think bouncy tracks can be prepared in India because of the different weather conditions. The only way to prepare our batsmen for such tracks is by sending then to Australia, SA, England and even NZ on A tours. BCCI has simply forgotten about the A tours. If they'll delay those, we'll land into trouble. But does BCCI care?

I don't think bouncy tracks can be prepared in India because of the different weather conditions. The only way to prepare our batsmen for such tracks is by sending then to Australia, SA, England and even NZ on A tours. BCCI has simply forgotten about the A tours. If they'll delay those, we'll land into trouble. But does BCCI care?
They do. But what do they care about? Its making more money for their pockets.
They can. It has to do a lot with the type of soil/foundation and how much care is taken.

I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. Stats / strike rates / figures don't count squat at this stage as the kid is only 19 and is just at the beginning of the yellow brick road. however, interesting to read some of the sentiments on other boards, particularly aus / pak ones, where they are quick to undermine his achievements because he's expensive Well, I guess stats cover the fact that he's got ponting / clarke close to half a dozen times in test match cricket ..... almost his bunny

Anybody who can work over a batsman the class of Ponting the way he did in Perth has talent in spades. He continues to get the BIG wickets and breakthroughs. That's the bowler you want. In time, his economy will improve...but I prefer a bowler who get's the critical breakthroughs but concedes a few extra runs rather than the economical one who can't get a wicket when it is needed.

Zak is a changed bowler now...fittter, stronger, releasing the ball superbly, swinging the ball beautifully and is also mentally much stronger than he was back then. He has learnt a lot and has a lot of aggression in his bowling too. I am very impressed with him and his comeback in such a big way.

i think there is little to worry about till sachin,dravid n VVS are there.for future we have talented guys like sharma n kohli.vijay also looks good.sharma in particular. i think we should take him to NZ just for experience.badrinath is a waste of time IMO. the only worrying thing is failure of yuvraj n dhoni in testing conditions.they really have to correct it for us to be no.1.other worry is an allrounder.bhajji is doing quite well with the bat atm,but vwe cant rely on him too much

^^ zaheer khan of the 2003 wc final was neither economical nor threatening what a surprise this guy is killing them in the tests a couple of years later
Yes, I would rate that as one of his most disapointing performances but Australia had been unbeaten going into the final and India had just lost once up to that point. Up to the final Srinath/ZK were doing a very good job and bowling with accuracy and control and were among the best new ball pairings.