Our neighbours are getting a new captaan

Kartikey

I did consider Malik a bad captain. But I have sympathy for him now. Pakistani cricket is so full of politics and dirt right now that there is no difference between a good captain and a bad one. There was some story from a Pakistani news channel/newspaper that a large part of the team had been intentionally under performing to ensure that Malik was thrown out soon so that they could have a go at the captaincy. It included YK, Afridi and Shoaib. On the other hand, Malik backed players like Khatmal whose best day is when he drops only one sitter. So he had a team of under performers- whether on his side or against. Now, if thats true, thats not going to change if YK becomes captain. There will always be two groups in the Pakistani team playing games with each other and mostly the good players who fancy captaincy will be against the captain and the bad players who desperately need the captain's backing to hang on to the position in the team will be supporting the captain. In the end, cricket will be screwed. And then there will always be PCB who have no goals or objectives, but by instinct they indulge in dirty games. Who is worried about cricket? No one.

I did consider Malik a bad captain. But I have sympathy for him now. Pakistani cricket is so full of politics and dirt right now that there is no difference between a good captain and a bad one. There was some story from a Pakistani news channel/newspaper that a large part of the team had been intentionally under performing to ensure that Malik was thrown out soon so that they could have a go at the captaincy. It included YK, Afridi and Shoaib. On the other hand, Malik backed players like Khatmal whose best day is when he drops only one sitter. So he had a team of under performers- whether on his side or against. Now, if thats true, thats not going to change if YK becomes captain. There will always be two groups in the Pakistani team playing games with each other and mostly the good players who fancy captaincy will be against the captain and the bad players who desperately need the captain's backing to hang on to the position in the team will be supporting the captain. In the end, cricket will be screwed. And then there will always be PCB who have no goals or objectives, but by instinct they indulge in dirty games. Who is worried about cricket? No one.
If this is indeed true then Younis Khan is a scum bag. I did find it very suspicious that he so quickly accepted the captain's job after what has to be called a knee jerk reaction by the PCB. Surely if YK supported Malik he wouldn't have been so quick to take the job when it's not entirely Malik's fault. Also, I thought this clown was offered the captaincy after the WC disaster and he refused? If he's only manuvering to get the job now then that's pretty duplicitous of him.

I'm reminded of an interview Younis gave not long ago. In response to a question regarding his reluctance to lead the team, he said some like (it's in quotes but I'm paraphrasing/translating from Urdu): "I love playing cricket, and that's what I want to do. Being in the national team is a great honour. I can take not performing in the field and being criticized for it, but I don't like the politics of the whole thing. If I walk down the street and someone says to me 'Hey, how come you got out for a duck?' I can take that. But 'Hey, why was Player A not picked' is what I can't stand."

I'm reminded of an interview Younis gave not long ago. In response to a question regarding his reluctance to lead the team, he said some like (it's in quotes but I'm paraphrasing/translating from Urdu): "I love playing cricket, and that's what I want to do. Being in the national team is a great honour. I can take not performing in the field and being criticized for it, but I don't like the politics of the whole thing. If I walk down the street and someone says to me 'Hey, how come you got out for a duck?' I can take that. But 'Hey, why was Player A not picked' is what I can't stand."
But isn't it true that Pak skippers have no say at all in the selection of the team, not even in the final XI? If that is true, how can they be blamed for picking/not picking certain players?
But isn't it true that Pak skippers have no say at all in the selection of the team' date=' not even in the final XI? If that is true, how can they be blamed for picking/not picking certain players?[/quote'] I'm not certain but I believe the new selection committee has taken on the policy of leaving the final XI up to the captain. Regardless, even beforehand, I think it would be pretty naive to believe the captain wasn't involved in selection. My impression of Younis Khan is that he despises the politics of Pakistan cricket. I don't think he doesn't want to be a captain. In fact, I think he aspires to be a leader for the team. But he wants that confined to the playing arena...it's all the bull**** he doesn't like. That's why I'm especially interested to see how this goes. Because not only is he now captain, but he is coming in at a time when the team is very fluid. There are very few automatic selections and plenty of young players are knocking on the door.

Just before the SL series the 'Pak Think Tank' read 3 doofuses and a stray dog unanimously decided that Malik was the best available and he would be persisted 'indefinitely'. 'Indefinitely ' in Pak speak of course means, till you guys play like a club team and get mauled by another (which pretty much means Yoonus Ken will be on the chopping block if they lose to Australia).

I dont think Younis wants be captain; I think the captaincy was forced on to him Remember after the 2003 wc, Pak made a lot of noises about brining youngsters? They did, but brought the old farts 6 months later What about the 2007 wc? The team now is practically the world cup team except that the heavyweights with injuries / suspensions are included and the good ones have defected to the ICL

I thought Malik was doing ok as the captain. Younis Khan is a very cheerful personality on and off the field. Whether that translates into a successful tenure is still to determined. However, Younis does give the confidence of a captain on the field. The only trouble for Younis would be how he fares in the shorter version of the game now that he is the captain. Perhaps a bit hard on him, but I've had my reservations about him being an ODI batsman. Perhaps, this new role will strengthen him mentally to overcome the flaws.

Doesn't matter whom you appoint as captain Pakistan will get nowhere. Where are the players that can win games? They hardly play any international cricket these days and you don't quite expect to win anyways. Look at the Aussie team, Ponting was hailed as the best captain in the past but look at him now. He struggles to win a game let alone a series. Fleming was a shade of himself as a captain just before he quit as captain because he lost a bunch of good players and wins deserted him too. Captain and coach are extremely over-rated in cricket. The team if sucks cannot be fixed by a captain. Younis Khan won't last more than a blumoon going by the history of PCB administrators. Younis Khan may be the only legit choice for captaincy in Pakistan but he can do squat.

I thought Malik was doing ok as the captain. Younis Khan is a very cheerful personality on and off the field. Whether that translates into a successful tenure is still to determined. However, Younis does give the confidence of a captain on the field. The only trouble for Younis would be how he fares in the shorter version of the game now that he is the captain. Perhaps a bit hard on him, but I've had my reservations about him being an ODI batsman. Perhaps, this new role will strengthen him mentally to overcome the flaws.
I never follow domestic cricket india or pakistan. But Younus khan had ever been leader in any format? If yes, how was the team performance? But he is the best available solution for pak team. Good new for india, He is the best player against us and i hope he will fail now because of pressure of kaptaani.. :two_thumbs_up:

Excellent news!! Malik is an amazing cricket player but just doesn't posses what it takes to lead a team. He's uninspiring, lacks tactics, usually clueless about fielding and very defensive. While Yonus is a complete opposite of Malik. Yonus captaining won't bring miracle changes in the team, but its a good step forward towards building a strong unit and bringing that old spark back. Best of luck Yonus Khan! :two_thumbs_up:

From 2007 till now: Woolmer Died; Aloo resigned in disgrace Malik and Lawson took over Lawson sacked; Inkithab takes over Malik Sacked; Younis Takes over Younis wanted Inkithab sacked: Deliver and become long-term captain, PCB tells Younis Khan Wednesday, January 28, 2009 By By our correspondent KARACHI: Pakistan's cricket chief Ijaz Butt has candidly told new captain Younis Khan that only an improved performance from his team in the coming matches will help him earn a long-term tenure. A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official informed 'The News' that Butt offered the captaincy to Younis during a one-to-one meeting at the Gaddafi Stadium on Tuesday. But contrary to speculations that Younis laid down his conditions before accepting the assignment, it was the PCB chief who did most of the talking. According to the official, who requested anonymity, Younis was eager to accept the job and assured Butt that he would make all out efforts to bring the best out of the under-performing Pakistan team. "Younis never put forward any conditions (before accepting the offer)," said the official. "The PCB chairman is not the sort of man who would give in to such things," he added. "He (Younis) was keen to take over the team's command because he believes that Pakistan can be transformed into a world class team." Younis, 31, has quite a reputation as he has rejected the captaincy offer on a couple of occasions in the past mainly because the Board did not agree to give him sweeping powers. There was a whispering campaign in the national cricket circles on Tuesday that Butt succumbed to Younis's list of demands that included the sacking of Pakistan coach Intikhab Alam. However, the PCB official rejected the possibility of Intikhab's removal. "Intikhab took over as Pakistan coach less than three months back," he pointed out. "You cannot blame him for all of the team's problems. Intikhab needs time to bring a change and the Board is willing to do that." Intikhab, 67, began his current stint as Pakistan coach with the three-match One-day International series against the West Indies in Abu Dhabi last November. Pakistan blanked Chris Gayle's men 3-0 in the series. But Pakistan's 234-run loss against Sri Lanka in their ODI series finale in Lahore on Saturday has changed the script. According to the official, the PCB top brass firmly believes that Pakistan need to do a lot of hard work to come to par with the leading teams of the world. "The bitter truth is that we are a weak team," said the official. "Our batting is weak while our bowling is also below-par with only Umar Gul being a world class bowler. It is quite evident that we have to do a lot of hard work to bring a significant improvement." http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=159423 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How long till Younis gets the sack?

Excellent news!! Malik is an amazing cricket player but just doesn't posses what it takes to lead a team. He's uninspiring, lacks tactics, usually clueless about fielding and very defensive. While Yonus is a complete opposite of Malik. Yonus captaining won't bring miracle changes in the team, but its a good step forward towards building a strong unit and bringing that old spark back. Best of luck Yonus Khan! :two_thumbs_up:
Pakistan cricket needs a Wasim Akram now....yeah yeah, the same guy that you abuse and make fun of calling him an Indian. He was the last captain that could keep the team together and made them play good cricket. But Alas, you have no Wasim Akram to fall back on now.

I think Pak is actually better off without a captain...that way they will all co-operate instead of instigating intrigues. They should give it a try. And if it works, they should also get rid of the PCB...no control is better for Pak cricket. No control, no dramas...plenty of "let's all do our own thing" cricket...hmmm..that is the same as now...but no dramas will be involved...no one to blame...