Javed Miandad resigns as PCB director general

Pakistan cricket board director quits 26 minutes ago KARACHI (AFP) — Pakistan Cricket Board director general Javed Miandad quit Wednesday following disagreements with the crisis-hit governing body of the country's national sport. "The PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) wanted to restrict me to domestic affairs and I don't want any interference in my work. I have therefore resigned," Miandad told AFP. His resignation comes just a day after the PCB replaced Shoaib Malik with Younus Khan as captain of the Pakistan team following a humiliating defeat to Sri Lanka that sparked huge criticism in the cricket-mad country. ...... more to follow Miandad resigns as PCB’s General Director Islamabad, Jan 28: After expressing discontent on Shoaib Malik’s sudden sacking as Pakistan cricket team’s captain, Javed Miandad resigned from his post of Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) General Director on Wednesday. In an interview to a Pakistan news channel, Maindad had said that he did not appreciate others’ interference while discharging his duties nor he can take any dictation in this regard. He claimed that the PCB had asked him to look after and sort out all cricketing matters but was later restricted to domestic cricket only. Miandad added that his main aim was to serve cricket by all possible means but he wasn’t given the appropriate environment and the opportunity to do so. However, he said that President of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari placed him on the governing board of the PCB and he would continue to work as its member. Miandad was quoted by a Pakistan newspaper earlier in the day claiming that Shoaib Malik should not have been sacked as the team’s skipper and that he should have been given more time to sort out issues within the team. http://cricket.zeenews.com/fullstory.aspx?nid=17104 Miandad quits as PCB director Javed Miandad has resigned as director general of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), bringing to an abrupt end his fourth stint with the board since retiring as a player. At a little over two months, it was considerably shorter than any of his three tenures as coach. Miandad resigned after differences emerged over the exact scope of his role.There was always a lack of clarity over the exact nature of his work. He spoke openly of it as being a troubleshooting role of sorts, delving into whatever areas needed fixing. He unveiled grand plans for domestic cricket, but talked of removing ICL bans and played an active part in arranging the Sri Lanka tour of three ODIs. He was also known to have said that he would don a tracksuit and get out on the field to coach if needed. But in the contract the board offered to him yesterday, which defined his role for the first time since he took over, he found that only domestic affairs were within his ambit. "The PCB wanted to restrict me to domestic affairs and I don't want any interference in my work. I have therefore resigned," Miandad told AFP. Though Wasim Bari, the director of HR and administration, refused to confirm the news, another board official said that Miandad wasn't happy with the contract. "He didn't like what he had been offered," the official told Cricinfo. "The scope of the role was that he look after domestic cricket, infrastructure growth and work with the games director at the National Cricket Academy and be based in Karachi. He wanted more." Though Miandad was one of the few men not in favour of the captaincy change that saw Younis Khan replace Shoaib Malik - it wasn't the personnel as much as what he saw as the panic-stricken reaction to defeat which he objected to - it is understood that had nothing to do with his final decision. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/388113.html