Recuperating Harbhajan raring to lead spin attack in NZ

Feed

Harbhajan Singh said he is regaining full fitness and is looking forward to spearhead India's spin attack in New Zealand. More... Recuperating Harbhajan raring to lead spin attack in NZ Agencies Posted: Feb 04, 2009 at 1514 hrs IST New Delhi: Recuperating from a hamstring injury that kept him out of the Sri Lanka tour, off-spinner Harbhajan Singh said he is regaining full fitness and is looking forward to spearhead India's spin attack in New Zealand. "My injury has healed considerably. I have resumed training and bowling at nets. I still have enough time before that and I expect to play a part in the New Zealand series," said the spinner, who has recently been conferred with the Padma Shri award. Following veteran leg-spinner Anil Kumble's retirement, Harbhajan is the senior most bowler in the slow bowling department and the spinner said he was ready to shoulder the responsibility. "Whenever I played, I have always taken responsibility. Now, after Anilbhai's retirement, I know I have to take the responsibility in New Zealand and I am ready for that," he added. India will leave for New Zealand later this month for a full series there. Despite Harbhajan's absence, the Indian team has clinched the five-match ODI series in Sri Lanka with their unassailable 3-0 lead over the hosts and Harbhajan felt the batsmen had sorted out Sri Lanka's enigmatic spinner Ajantha Mendis. "The success in Sri Lanka is a result of team effort. We played great cricket there, specially the batsmen are tackling Muttiah Muralitharan and Ajantha Mendis pretty well. During last year's tour, Mendis was no doubt a real threat to India but our batsmen have now sorted him out," Harbhajan said during a promotional event of a sports good company in New Delhi. He also heaped praise on young left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha for his impressive performance in the three matches played so far. The 28-year-old spinner credited self-belief for the team's consistent show in recent times. "The present team has self-belief which is the reason behind the team's success. Every players is ready to take challenges and knows how to deal with it. The team now has the self-belief to chase even 350 runs against any side," he said. Harbhajan also lauded Gary Kirsten, saying the coach played a major part in Team India's success. "He (Kirsten) has a big role behind India's success. Under him, the dressing room environment has become positive. There is always a jovial atmosphere in the dressing room, even in tense situations. He shares a lot of suggestions and gives tips to each and every player," he said.