Australia in SA, 2009 : Build up

Feed

Ponting tries to pep-up squad before SA tour RICKY Ponting has compared the daunting task of his inexperienced South Africa touring squad to Australia's history-changing tour of the West Indies in 1995. More... Ricky Ponting likens South Africa tour challenge to West Indies 1995 By Malcolm Conn February 17, 2009 RICKY Ponting has compared the daunting task of his inexperienced South Africa touring squad to Australia's history-changing tour of the West Indies in 1995. Australia beat the West Indies despite a decimated attack to claim the unofficial title of world champion and has held that title virtually ever since, until challenged by South Africa this summer. Now rankings are official Australia, having lost 2-1 to South Africa this summer, will be battling to retain its No.1 Test status during the next month or so in the return series. Ponting will be mounting his defence without new ball bowlers Brett Lee and Stuart Clark, amongst others, in the same way Mark Taylor lost his opening pair of Craig McDermott and Damien Fleming through injury 13 years ago. "We're missing the experience of Lee and Clark in our attack, but (Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle and Doug Bollinger) showed in Sydney that they've got what it takes to be very good international bowlers and good enough to take 20 wickets for us to win in any conditions around the world," Ponting said before flying out to South Africa with the squad. "If you look back to a tour like the West Indies in 1995, that's where Glenn McGrath really stood up and made a name for himself when Craig McDermott and a few of the guys went down injured. "We've got a great opportunity for a Siddle, or a Ben Hilfenhaus or a Bollinger to really make a name for themselves and forge their own identity at international level." The attack will be led by a tireless Johnson, who has all of 18 Tests behind him and has played half of that quota over the past four months in India and at home to be Australia's standout bowler of the summer. Siddle has played just four Tests, Bollinger one and Hilfenhaus is yet to make his debut. Also yet to play his first Test is leg-spinner Bryce McGain, who turns 37 next month but is likely to be Australia's main spinner after making a strong recovery from shoulder surgery. Ponting believes that McGain could be the difference, depending on the type of wickets South Africa produces. "He's obviously come back from his injury very well and he's bowled well for Victoria in the last few games," Ponting said. "It's always nice to have a very good and highly skilled leg-spinner in your side, which is what Bryce is. "There's every chance that he could just be that X-factor that we need over there. "We know that over the years Warnie had a great record against South Africa, and at different times had them under a spell." Ponting is delighted with McGain's selection in the 14-man squad because, amongst other things, it means that Ponting, 34, is no longer the oldest player on tour, something he volunteers with a smile. The age difference between Ponting and his youngest player, 20-year-old opening batsman Phil Hughes, is 14 years - more than the 10 years between a young Ponting and his first captain, Taylor, when Ponting made his debut over 13 years ago. "Fourteen years difference between our opening batsman and our No.3 batsman, it's a lot of time, a lot of cricket and a lot of experience," Ponting said. Ponting said Hughes will be "jumping out of his skin". "He'll be pretty nervous and pretty excited," Ponting said. "Most of us older guys will probably have a good sleep on the flight, but I'd be surprised if he had a sleep. "He'll be up wanting to talk cricket. "I actually had a good catch-up with him at the Border Medal. "Justin Langer and I had a chance to have a drink with him that night and have a bit of a chat about his cricket and his batting. "It was good to learn a little bit about him and see what he's all about. "Obviously, he's a very driven and motivated young bloke who wants to be very successful for Australia. "He's certainly done that for New South Wales. "We hope he can be what we're looking for at the top of the order."

Aussies to face understrength A team THEIR opening match against a South Africa President's XI on Friday could be little more than a training run for Australia who will face something less than a second-string unit at Potchefstroom. More... South Africa forced to choose understrength A team for tour match From Greg Buckle in Potchefstroom, South Africa February 17, 2009 THEIR opening match against a South Africa President's XI on Friday could be little more than a training run for Australia who will face something less than a second-string unit at Potchefstroom. Cricket South Africa have named Alviro Petersen as skipper of a modest side, with selectors hamstrung by many key players taking part on the domestic Pro20 semi-finals this week. Australia are yet to name a side for the three-day game which will be their only warm-up for the first Test against South Africa starting in Johannesburg on February 26. Vice-captain Michael Clarke may be rested by Australia because of ongoing back troubles. “Because there are so many players still involved in the Pro20 semi-finals, and the fact that the prestigious final of this competition is also on Friday, it was impossible to name a South African A side which is our second-best team,'' Cricket South Africa chief Gerald Majola said. Chairman of selectors Mike Procter said players had been drawn from the Lions and Titans state sides. “There is some very exciting young talent in this team and I am confident they will give a very good account of themselves,'' Procter said. Petersen, 28, averages 41.33 in his five one-day international appearances. Batsman Vaughn van Jaarsveld, who made his Twenty20 and one-day international debuts in Australia last month, and Gulam Bodi, a left-arm spinner who has played two ODIs, are the other two players in the South Africa President's XI side with international experience. South Africa captain Graeme Smith is shaping up well for the first Test with two successful hit-outs for the Cape Cobras in the Twenty20 domestic semi-finals. Smith, who skipped last month's one-day series in Australia because of an elbow injury and fractured hand, made 32 and 33 in the two Pro20 games on Friday and Sunday. “The elbow is coming along nicely. I don't want to tempt fate, but so far it's going as well as I could have hoped. The medical team is very happy with my progress,'' Smith said on the supersport.co.za website. “I have not at all felt the pain I had been struggling with for the past six months.'' South Africa President's XI to play Australia on Friday in a three-day game at Senwes Park, Potchefstroom: Alviro Petersen (capt), Craig Alexander, Gulam Bodi, Imraan Khan, Heino Kuhn, Ethy Mbhalati, Blake Snijman, Imran Tahir, Roelof van der Merwe, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, David Wiese.

Australia in SA, 2009 : Build up

^ Philip Hughes has an odd technique ... However it is effective for him. He has quite a wide stance and high backlift and plays alot of cross bat shots. It will be interesting to see how he does against Dale Steyn (who gets that late outswing).
Dale Steyn no good against LHB as soon as the ball stops swinging. Ntini would be a better bet to knock off Hughes.

Tardy Bryce McGain misses the plane VICTORIA's Bryce McGain had the worst of possible starts to the South African Test series, missing the team plane. More... Tardy Bryce McGain misses the plane By Peter Lalor February 18, 2009 VICTORIA's Bryce McGain had the worst of possible starts to the South African Test series, missing the team plane. The leg-spinner apparently slept in on Monday morning and was only woken when his state teammate Andrew McDonald realised he was not at the airport and rang his home. A sheepish McGain made it to South Africa hours behind the rest of the team on another flight, but was at the Potchefstroom team hotel Tuesday morning. He is yet to play a Test, breaking down on the eve of his debut in India last year. McGain had a shoulder operation before the summer and completed a successful comeback after Christmas, which led to his selection in the squad for South Africa. A Cricket Australia spokesman said the leadership group would meet to discuss McGain's tardy start to the tour and decide whether he would be punished. McGain said later he had not been asleep when McDonald rang but was joking with his friend. He blamed the chaos at Melbourne Airport for arriving in South Africa nine hours behind his teammates. "It's amazing what 10 minutes late at one end can multiply out to at the other," McGain said. "My plane hadn't left Melbourne for Sydney when I got there and I said to them, 'Just let me on the plane, don't worry about my bags', but they wouldn't do it. It was about 10 to eight and they couldn't get me to Sydney by 10.30am. "Unfortunately there was a lot of kerfuffle around flights into Sydney that day and the next plane was delayed and so my solution was to fly via Hong Kong. It was interesting, I caught up on a bit of lost sleep and finally arrived here this (Tuesday) morning. I thought there was going to be all sorts of grief when I got there but it seems OK," he said. Andrew Symonds was sanctioned in the Caribbean for sleeping in one morning and missing the team bus. When the all-rounder later missed a compulsory team meeting in Darwin he was sent into exile by the leadership group. However, McGain's infringement is not expected to attract a serious punishment. Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch has said repeatedly that McGain's injury derailed Australia's plans for its spin bowling attack. Hilditch considers the 37-year-old to be the primary leg-spinner in the country. He and NSW's Nathan Hauritz will compete for the spinner's spot in South Africa.

South Africa to spy on Hughes? South Africa's plan to spook Hughes Will Swanton in Potchefstroom February 18, 2009 SOUTH AFRICAN coach Mickey Arthur has commissioned a spying mission on Phillip Hughes before the young New South Welshman makes his Test debut next week. Australia's only warm-up game is in Potchefstroom over three days, starting on Friday. Arthur told the Herald on Tuesday that South Africa's normally meticulous pre-series planning had stalled when it came to Hughes because they didn't have any video footage of him. Arthur's response will be to send a cameraman to Potchefstroom with the sole purpose of filming every move that Hughes makes. "We obviously know Phil Hughes is a very skilful and talented player but I'm going to have to send a spy down to Potch on Friday so we can have a proper look at him," Arthur said. "I don't have any video footage of him now but I certainly will have footage of him after this weekend. "Our video analysis chap will be hiding behind the sightscreen in Potch with his camera. If you see a guy behind the sightscreen getting some filming done, you know who it is. I am sending him down. Phil Hughes hasn't been around that long and we don't have a lot of information on him. There are some different faces in this Australian team, and Phil Hughes is the major one for us. I want to know some more and I will by Sunday." Hughes and Simon Katich will open for the tourists against South Africa A in a game also likely to feature leg spinner Bryce McGain before his likely Test debut against the Proteas in Johannesburg. Arthur said he had more knowledge of McGain, but only by chance. "When we were in Australia, we had only just finished training at the MCG, it must have been after the Test match or maybe the Twenty20, and I recognised this guy who came walking into the nets," Arthur said. "He introduced himself and it was Bryce McGain. "He came in with a whole bag full of balls and wanted to have one net to himself out on the side. He went over and went through his routines, did his practising. I recognised the face when he started walking over and when he said his name was Bryce McGain, my ears *****ed up a bit. I actually went and stood behind the net and watched him for about 15 minutes." Arthur didn't have a camera, or access to a camera-wielding spy, but those 15 minutes were committed to memory. "I thought he looked quite useful," Arthur said. "He looked like he could control a game or be an attacking option. He bowled a good googly. I was impressed, to be honest." If Australia want a tough game in Potchefstroom to warm them up for what is going to be a ferocious Test series, they might be disappointed. Domestic commitments in South Africa have ruled out a host of fringe Test players, leaving South Africa A more like D or E. "It's only going to be an invitation team we put out," Arthur said. "A lot of major players are tied up with their franchises and as it stands right now we don't know which two teams are going be in our domestic final on Friday. "There are four teams left, so players from all the franchises are out of the running for South Africa A. Only players from the teams not in the semi-finals are eligible. There are a couple of players you have heard of in that game for South Africa A but by and large there won't be a hell of a lot, to be honest." For Australia, Michael Clarke's back condition is still being monitored. It's a recurring problem and a worry at his relatively tender age. Australia's players were given the day off on Tuesday to recover from their flight. The team hotel backs onto a golf course, where the majority of them were to be found. Potchefstroom has outstanding training facilities, which the visitors will hit from Wednesday before they name the side for the tour opener. All eyes - and one camera - will be on Hughes. ____________________________________________________________ Just can't stop laughing! Spying on a 20 years old debutant? What on earth did they do to Siddles or Bollinger or McDonald? If those newcomers couldn't stop them even a bit, how do they think that Hughes will stall their preparation? This series is really going to be interesting. So many factors are there--SA probably might be playing as favourites for the first time against Australia. How will they handle it? There are so many new comers in the team--how will Ponting handle them? Who'll be the superstar for Australia as Duminy was SA? I'm really looking forward to this series.

Michael Clarke likely to miss first Test against South Africa A SERIOUS back injury has ruined Michael Clarke's preparations for the first Test against South Africa. Admitting for the first time to spasms and discomfort, he is in grave danger of being ruled out of Thursday's game. More... Pup may miss opening Test Will Swanton February 22, 2009 A SERIOUS back injury has ruined Michael Clarke's preparations for the first Test against South Africa. Admitting for the first time to spasms and discomfort, he is in grave danger of being ruled out of Thursday's game. Instead of playing in Australia's only tour match before the first Test, against a South African Board President's XI at Senwes Park, he gingerly had a couple of net sessions. His unavailability for the Johannesburg Test would be a savage blow as Australia enter a brutal three-match series to decide the top of the pecking order in world cricket. "It's getting there - slowly," Clarke said. "I don't know exactly how it happened. I guess it's a sprain. I had a lot of inflammation and spasm. Since we arrived … it's improved slowly every day. "I'm getting plenty of treatment from the physio. I'm working into more batting every day and hopefully I'll be able to have a field, have a bit of a run around. Fingers crossed, I guess. Hopefully it continues to improve." Asked whether he could have played a Test this weekend, Clarke replied: "I don't think I've done enough. I don't think I've batted for long enough. I haven't done any running. I haven't done any fielding. We're pretty lucky that from landing in South Africa until the first Test, we've got a good amount of time. So I think that's why we're trying to not rush back into it." Part of Clarke's immense value has always been his ability to chip in with his left-arm off spinners, but forget about him bowling for the foreseeable future. "At the moment, for me, bowling is probably the last thing I'm concerned about," he said. "It's more making sure I can bat, I can run between the wickets, I can field, hopefully hang onto a couple of catches as well. It would be very unlikely I would bowl a ball before the Test match." Clarke was ruled out of limited-overs and Twenty20 matches against New Zealand at the end of the international season in Australia with a lower back problem, but says: "This is higher up in my back. It's sort of behind my ribs so I get it across and it comes into the front of my chest. It's completely separate to what I've had." He will be placed in cotton wool when the Australians arrive in Johannesburg tonight. They will leave Potchefstroom shortly after stumps to prepare for those three consecutive Tests that will decide the world No. 1 ranking. Australia desperately need him to be available. Clarke has been Australia's most damaging Test batsman of the past 12 months. He will be given until the last moment to declare his availability.