Australia in SA, 2009 : Build up

Feed

YOUNG Cricketer of the Year Phillip Hughes and leg-spinner Bryce McGain will be part of the Australian Test team to tour South Africa after being named in the 14-man squad. More... Hughes, McGain in the Test team February 05, 2009 12:40pm YOUNG Cricketer of the Year Phillip Hughes and leg-spinner Bryce McGain will be part of the Australian Test team to tour South Africa after being named in the 14-man squad. The 20-year-old is set to become Australia's youngest Test debutant since Craig McDermott played his first match as a teenager against the West Indies in December 1984. Sources told The Daily Telegraph that Hughes was elated and "doing laps of excitement'' in his inner-western Sydney apartment when he received the news by phone last night. Hughes has been rewarded for an excellent season in the NSW side, when he scored 891 runs at 74.25, including four centuries and a highest score of 198. This morning The Daily Telegraph reported that spin guru Terry Jenner had tipped that McGain would be the shock bowling weapon selected in the team. Australia are desperately searching for the X-factor at the top of the order and with the ball following the retirement of Matthew Hayden, injuries to spearheads Stuart Clark and Brett Lee, and the ongoing void left by Warne. Jenner believes Victorian McGain has the tricks and the temperament to torment the Proteas as Warne did in taking 61 wickets at 24.31 in 12 Tests across the Rainbow Nation. Australia's first Test against South Africa is in Johannesburg starting on February 26. West Australian Marcus North has emerged as the bolter in the squad, the left-handed batsman rewarded for his toil at domestic level with the bat and his off-spin bowling. Phil Jaques has missed out on selection, the national panel deciding he had not played enough cricket since returning from back surgery. The No.1 spin bowling gig is still up for grabs with both Bryce McGain and Nathan Hauritz named in the squad. Hughes fills the vacancy at the top of the order caused by Matthew Hayden's retirement last month. Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said Hughes had been handed a tough start to his international career against the might of the Proteas' pace attack. "I don't suppose the introduction could be any tougher for a young opening batsman, but he will be surrounded by experienced batsmen and we are confident he will meet the challenge,'' Hilditch said in a statement. Hilditch said North had been picked because of his ability to not only score runs, but contribute with the ball. "Marcus North gets his long-awaited chance to join an Australian squad,'' he said. "Whilst Marcus is still a young man, he has had over eight years of first-class experience. He has been added to the squad both because of his strong (Sheffield) Shield batting form this year and his ability to bowl off-spin, which adds greatly to the flexibility of the squad. "This is consistent with our approach since 2005 in having batsmen in the top six providing quality overs to support the bowling group. His addition, together with the retention of Andrew McDonald following his successful debut in the Sydney Test, gives the squad great flexibility.'' Australia were unable to call upon the services of sidelined pace duo Stuart Clark and Brett Lee, while Andrew Symonds has been granted time to put his off-field life in order. Australia fly out to South Africa on February 16 and have a practice match against South Africa A in Potchefstroom from February 20-22. Australia's 14-man squad for the upcoming tour of South Africa. Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phillip Hughes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Andrew McDonald, Bryce McGain, Marcus North, Peter Siddle.

Hope SA gives a beating to Aus.
Yes, and I think we'll get our wish with McDonald slated to bat at six, and Siddle and Bollinger carrying the attack (along with Johnson*). Weakest looking Australian bowling line-up since about the mid 80s. Good luck to Phil Hughes and Bryce McGain (and Marcus North if he gets a game) all the same. Good to see some more new blood in there. In particular the 20-year old Hughes, who has been in dominating form for NSW this season. Will be the youngest debutant for Australia since Craig McDermott nearly 25 years ago. * If they didn't have him, they'd probably be completely stuffed.
Hughes is a legend in the making. Well done selectors. Finally you get something right.
Correct. Hughes is an exellent choice. They took their time. Do not know about McGain though. Krezja was better than they think he was. He took wickets against the best players of spin in the world...and he is no where in the equation? That's called sh*it for brains selection!

Krezja couldn't apparently make the Aus test team right after that, despite the only competition being Nathan Hauritz - or as Jeff Thomson dubbed him, the QLD refugee. :haha: The treatment of the spinners has been diabolical. Hell, what did Casson do wrong on his debut to get dropped? White got picked for four consecutive tests despite sucking immensely, yet Casson and Krezja got dropped straight after solid performances. But I won't argue with McGain, as long as they don't pick him in the first test and drop him right after for someone who can hold a bat a bit better. At least they got one thing right with Hughes at the end of it, so I'm thankful (even if it was too late... Hughes should have played at home v. RSA IMO)

F**** em! I am glad the aussie selectors are stupid. Let them learn a little humility. I have lived in this country for 20 years but not a single day could I support the Oz team. Unless I was pretending...or a ball carrier as someone on this thread. When the Windies were dominant...everyone loved them. Because they lifted peoples spirits...who loved the aussies? They wanted so bad to be like the Windies in the 80's....hah...yeah right...go for the records...but people are not stupid. Arrogance is not loved. They recognise real champions...and pretenders. Let us hope that humility will transform aussie sport. Knowing what I know...I am pessimistic! :hysterical:

Taylor was and is a good, honest bloke. But the aussie cricket team have always had a bad culture going through them. I have seen the clean innocent, good natured faces from shield cricket, turn into ugly, unsporstmanlike caricatures of themselves on the international stage. Somewhere between Bradman and now, something bad happened. The aussie cricket culture is f*ucked and it must be defeated. For the very spirit of cricket.

Hughes is a legend in the making. Well done selectors. Finally you get something right.
Correct. Hughes is an exellent choice. They took their time. Do not know about McGain though. Krezja was better than they think he was. He took wickets against the best players of spin in the world...and he is no where in the equation? That's called sh*it for brains selection!
I'm also eager to watch him play. I've read a lot about him. Cochise, McGain looked as an excellent bowler when he had come to India to play for Australia last year. He had also taken three quick wickets before he crocked himself. I think he'll do well.

Watched a bit of Hughes on the Aussie domestic circuit and though he did not score much in any of the matches I watched, I was impressed by his ability to read the length quickly and play equally comfortably forward or back. That is crucial for any batsman, but even more so for an opener. I think he certainly has the goods to deliver. As for their spinners' choice they are all crap anyways, what does it matter whom they pick.

Australia in SA, 2009 : Test Squads 7 years and scenario is sooooooo different!! Though SA doesn't have the marauders like what Australia had then, but it is quite a steady batting line up against the ordinary attacks that every team serves up now. Even then, I'm quite eager to watch the new batsmen like Phil Hughes. Series in SA saw the rise of Duminy. Hope we get a new star.

7 years and scenario is sooooooo different!! Though SA doesn't have the marauders like what Australia had then, but it is quite a steady batting line up against the ordinary attacks that every team serves up now. Even then, I'm quite eager to watch the new batsmen like Phil Hughes. Series in SA saw the rise of Duminy. Hope we get a new star.
^ Chandan, you should be able to watch Aussie domestics on TV in India. I think Star Cricket shows the Ford Ranger Cup live and shows highlights of the Sheffield Shield - at least they did in November when I was there.

McGain is a decent spinner, but hardly excellent. He's steady and at the same time is a better wicket taking option than Hauritz. Good control, a little variation but very consistent and capable of plugging away while taking some wickets. Still, probably the best option in domestics right now and the most deserving, so I'm glad to see him go on the tour. Andrew McDonald meanwhile has no place in this squad. His bowling's Paul Collingwoodesque, and his batting isn't good enough for him to even bat ahead of Mitch Johnson.

South Africa's squad for the test series against Australia at home Batsman Ashwell Prince fails to regain his place in the South Africa for the forthcoming Test against Australia. More... Prince left out of S Africa squad South Africa batsman Ashwell Prince has failed to regain his place in the squad for the two-Test series with Australia despite recovering from a hand injury. JP Duminy, 24, is retained after impressing as Prince's replacement in the 2-1 series win in Australia. Fast bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe, 24, has been added to the 12-man squad. Selectors are confident wicketkeeper Mark Boucher will recover from a foot injury for the first Test in Johannesburg, starting on 26 February. Boucher fractured his left big toe after he was struck on the foot by a yorker from Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait in the third one-dayer in Sydney in January. South Africa's selection convener Mike Procter said: "We are monitoring Mark Boucher's recovery from injury and we are confident that he will be fit to play by the time the series starts." Prince was the vice-captain before he had to withdraw from the tour of Australia after breaking his thumb during a nets session. The most gratifying thing about South Africa's successful tour of Australia has been the stellar impact of the youngsters in the team The 31-year-old left-hander, who has joined Lancashire on a short-term contract, was in fine form in 2008, scoring 900 runs at an average of 64.28. But Duminy took his chance down under, hitting an unbeaten 50 on his Test debut in Perth in December and followed that with 166 in Melbourne as South Africa took an unassailable 2-0 series lead. The left-hander also shone in the one-day series against Australia, which South Africa won 4-1 to top the one-day rankings. Procter said it was a "difficult decision" to leave Prince out of the squad. "We are in the fortunate position of having seven world-class batsmen competing for six positions. It is a very healthy position for South African cricket," said Procter. "Ashwell is understandably bitterly disappointed but he appreciates that he has not had the opportunity to play much cricket since his injury." Eastern Province's Tsotsobe, who made his one-day debut in Perth earlier this month, has yet to make his international bow at Test level. Procter said: "Tsotsobe performed very impressively from limited opportunities in Australia and he gives us extra bowling variety and depth." The teams will travel to Durban for the final Test at the Sahara Stadium which starts on 6 March. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Africa squad: Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe