Sachins 1998 RUN

Rajiv

58 MOM Awards http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;template=results;type=allround;view=awards_match In 1998 itself

player of the match 	95 	3 	45 	0 	0 		v Pakistan 	Dhaka 	14 Jan 1998 	ODI # 1276
player of the match 	8 	5 	32 	1 	0 		v Australia 	Kochi 	1 Apr 1998 	ODI # 1300
player of the match 	100 	0 	19 	0 	0 		v Australia 	Kanpur 	7 Apr 1998 	ODI # 1308
player of the match 	80 	0 	21 	0 	0 		v Australia 	Sharjah 	19 Apr 1998 	ODI # 1322
player of the match 	143 	1 	27 	0 	0 		v Australia 	Sharjah 	22 Apr 1998 	ODI # 1325
player of the match 	134 	0 	12 	0 	0 		v Australia 	Sharjah 	24 Apr 1998 	ODI # 1327
player of the match 	100* 	0 	4 	0 	0 		v Kenya 	Kolkata 	31 May 1998 	ODI # 1337
player of the match 	128 	0 	13 	0 	0 		v Sri Lanka 	Colombo (RPS) 	7 Jul 1998 	ODI # 1344
player of the match 	127* 	- 	- 	1 	0 		v Zimbabwe 	Bulawayo 	26 Sep 1998 	ODI # 1354
player of the match 	141 	4 	38 	1 	0 		v Australia 	Dhaka 	28 Oct 1998 	ODI # 1360
player of the match 	118* 	0 	4 	0 	0 		v Zimbabwe 	Sharjah 	8 Nov 1998 	ODI # 1369
player of the match 	124* 	1 	16 	1 	0 		v Zimbabwe 	Sharjah 	13 Nov 1998 	ODI # 1374

In April 1998 MOM on 1st April 7th Aprl 19th April 22nd April 24th April ( birthday ) such a purple patch

So zelfish. Couldn't he share the glory with some others? :winky: Nah, in all seriousness that 98 run was freaking amazing. As good as Sehwag is, as good as any of the young guns may be right now - Yuvraj or Raina or Dhoni on song may all be fantastic to watch, but I've not seen ANYONE that could compare to Tendulkar at his very best. And he was batting on a plane of his own in '98.

Guest Hiten.

Out of those 12 awards in 1998, 6 of them were against the Australians against who we struggled (more compared to other opponents). 5 out of those 6 awards came against the Australians, they surely must have hated him during that period of time.

i think I'd prefer games from those days' date=' were more competitive IMO - the run fest is awesome to watch with towering sixes but I miss some classic stroke play[/quote'] I think if you want to put more emphasis on classic stroke play, then this is the best era. yes the current era. Late 90z was all about sachin and few others.. after that it's today's era, where along with sachin, we have some beautiful master class players who are playing some fantastic shots. all players who were young and were in their nickers during sachin's 98 assault, have grown and matured as cricketers. you see, in this decade we have seen some fantastic stroke makers. Along with Tendulkar we have - Dravid, Laxman, ponting, sangakkara etc who have dominated this decade with some beautiful batting and fantastic shots. elgance etc.
Guest Hiten.
i think I'd prefer games from those days' date=' were more competitive IMO - the run fest is awesome to watch with towering sixes but I miss some classic stroke play[/quote'] Rajiv, with respect to that time period 272 was on the par score. So India chasing it meant that it was no less than a runfest compared to today's 800/game. I think batsmen were more reluctant during that time whenever a target of 250+ was set. These days, batsmen are actually confident in chasing any sort of target thanks to RSA's mammoth run chase vs Australia. Y'day, Mccullum and Ryder were actually manoeuvring the ball instead of going ballistic on every ball. More importantly, those days ICC were not too bothered about cricket's reputation and attracting fans. These days, these morons are trying to attract fans by making placid pitches where the scores of 500 look chaseable ... and they think they will attract more fans this way.
Rajiv' date=' with respect to that time period 272 was on the par score. So India chasing it meant that it was no less than a runfest compared to today's 800/game. I think batsmen were more reluctant during that time whenever a target of 250+ was set. These days, batsmen are actually confident in chasing any sort of target thanks to RSA's mammoth run chase vs Australia. Y'day, Mccullum and Ryder were actually manoeuvring the ball instead of going ballistic on every ball. More importantly, those days ICC were not too bothered about cricket's reputation and attracting fans. These days, these morons are trying to attract fans by making placid pitches where the scores of 500 look chaseable ... [b']and they think they will attract more fans this way.
They are right. For every purist who swears by test matches being the numero uno format, there are 10 fans too busy to follow anything more than a couple of hours of cricket. You really can't have the boring '20-40' over period as was the norm in the ODIs in 90s, when teams used to go at 4-5 rpo and be content.
I think if you want to put more emphasis on classic stroke play, then this is the best era. yes the current era. Late 90z was all about sachin and few others.. after that it's today's era, where along with sachin, we have some beautiful master class players who are playing some fantastic shots. all players who were young and were in their nickers during sachin's 98 assault, have grown and matured as cricketers. you see, in this decade we have seen some fantastic stroke makers. Along with Tendulkar we have - Dravid, Laxman, ponting, sangakkara etc who have dominated this decade with some beautiful batting and fantastic shots. elgance etc.
From Strokeplays POV - in todays date - its Yuvraj else I really dont know who to pick. From that time, another fav of mine was Aravinda De Silva and the noob Jayawardene

Perhaps better bowling quality and pitches also had something to do with that. Not to mention the extra power plays, and then the worst of all, the huge penalty for no balls. The ODIs are favoring the batsmen too much. It's not a surprise that there are far fewer good bowlers nowdays. No one in their right mind would wanna become a bowler.

Guest Hiten.
They are right. For every purist who swears by test matches being the numero uno format' date=' there are 10 fans too busy to follow anything more than a couple of hours of cricket. You really can't have the boring '20-40' over period as was the norm in the ODIs in 90s, when teams used to go at 4-5 rpo and be content.[/quote'] Why not have bowling machines instead of bowlers then ? There has to be a equal contest between bat and ball. Y'day's game was neither fun for the kiwi fans nor the Indian fans. Despite India scoring 392 runs, we were busy opening jinx threads whereas Kiwi fans were busy moaning about how their bowlers gave 392 runs and yet came to a touching distance of winning this one. It almost felt as if there was no bowler in yesterday's game :giggle:
Out of those 12 awards in 1998' date=' 6 of them were against the Australians against who we struggled (more compared to other opponents). 5 out of those 6 awards came against the Australians, they surely must have hated him during that period of time.[/quote'] I remember Kasprowich made some comment like I'm focking sick of this guy in Sharjah
Why not have bowling machines instead of bowlers then ? There has to be a equal contest between bat and ball. Y'day's game was neither fun for the kiwi fans nor the Indian fans. Despite India scoring 392 runs' date=' we were busy opening jinx threads whereas Kiwi fans were busy moaning about how their bowlers gave 392 runs and yet came to a touching distance of winning this one. It almost felt as if there was no bowler in yesterday's game :giggle:[/quote'] Are you saying the Indian bowlers and fielding were upto mark ?
Guest Hiten.
Are you saying the Indian bowlers and fielding were upto mark ?
Fielding, certainly not. But how can you measure the bowler's ability on a placid pitch and one of the smallest ground to go with ? Tim Southee is a much better bowler than (10-0-105-0).
Fielding' date=' certainly not. But how can you measure the bowler's ability on a placid pitch and one of the smallest ground to go with ? Tim Southee is a much better bowler than (10-0-105-0).[/quote'] Well, I don't think the bowlers bowled that well even accounting for easy batting conditions. Ryder was bowling lollies even club cricketers would have no problems hitting out of the park, Munaf was having a all too common off day, we were missing Ishant who is one bowler who makes it count even on lifeless pitches, and Kumar is useless if there is no swing. NZ were missing Vettori. I mean for ****s sake, bowlers have better RPOs in T20s than some of them had last night.
Set the record for runs scored in a single year' date=' almost 2500 runs in one year Tests and ODIs combined! Wonder how much Yousuf got in his record breaking year in 06[/quote'] Yousuf's runs should really be wvaluated against what the opposition got in the same matches e.g. 600+ runs by Pakistan vs. 413/1 by India in atest match Result Yousuf Epic fail!!!!!!