Test players who need rest (or protection from injury) for dead rubber ODI-5

fineleg

We have Test series coming up - no need to risk any injury to key players. Rest Zaheer Khan, Virender Sehwag and/or Sachin Tendulkar for ODI-5 Let all bench/fringe players play in ODI-5. - KKD, Ojha, Rohit Sharma, Irfan Pathan Test team is crucial, and we have to protect as many as we can. Actually even MSD should rest (play KKD as keeper) and Yuvraj can rest. But then we have to field 11 players :giggle:

And then nominate someone else to stand behind KKD to pick up the ball every few minutes when Karthik misses it.
i know, Parthiv Patel, KKD all will be very average or below average keepers. But ODI-5 is dead rubber anyway - important Test series coming up so keep our key players incl Dhoni fresh is vital. For next away series( or even Indian series during dead rubber situations): We should find a backup keeper - Wridhiman Saha or who else is doing good now? (instead of dropthiv and dropthik)

Hey there is an idea ... Play 2 keepers ... Karthik and Patel and have them stand one behind the other ... Yes it means 1 less fielder but it gives New Zealand a chance ... also it allows MSD the chance to rest I can just picture it now ... Sharma to McCullum, 4 byes, line and length ball outside off stump, Karthik makes an absolute meal of it and dives to the leg side. Parthiv, not watching the ball, decides to follow Karthik to leg side, only to watch in horror as the ball races through to the boundary.

Yeah I agree that there is no point playing the important test players in the final ODI ... but it is a limited squad so we need to be careful about who we rest Sehwag (needs to rest) MSD (maybe) Zaheer (needs to rest) Ishant (needs to rest) Sachin (id like to see him keep his form going) only 3 need to rest I rkn.

Yeah I agree that there is no point playing the important test players in the final ODI ... but it is a limited squad so we need to be careful about who we rest .
Actually, its ok as long as we dont care much abt the result of ODI-5. Put the focus on Test series, and just go with that. Get these 5 guys in: 1. Irfan Pathan for ZK 2. Ojha (if u rest Sehwag- just go with extra bowler, big deal) 3. Munaf Patel for Ishant Sharma 4. Rohit Sharma for Tendulkar 5. Dinesh Karthik for Dhoni Captain: Yuvi Yuvraj can try to position so he can bat when Vettori bowls in odi5 to get some more practice against him.
Actually, its ok as long as we dont care much abt the result of ODI-5. Put the focus on Test series, and just go with that. Get these 5 guys in: 1. Irfan Pathan for ZK 2. Ojha (if u rest Sehwag- just go with extra bowler, big deal) 3. Munaf Patel for Ishant Sharma 4. Rohit Sharma for Tendulkar 5. Dinesh Karthik for Dhoni Captain: Yuvi Yuvraj can try to position so he can bat when Vettori bowls in odi5 to get some more practice against him.
ishant needs to play. he looked rusty ...

Players need to be rested when they are really tired, not just for the heck of it. Fast bowlers I understand coz it takes a lot out of you. I don't agree resting batsmen and spin bowlers esp playing in the cooler environs of NZ. The players who look like they need a game off .... Zaheer, Dhoni .. Sachin is injured anyways .... Don't see the need to rest Yuvi and Viru. And the priority should always be to maintain the momentum and to win the match. Its an international match !! Gambhir Sehwag Raina Rohit / Jadeja Yuvi + Karthick Y Pathan I Pathan Bhajji P Kumar I Sharma

Ishant needs to play for sure... Dhoni definitely needs to rest, so does SRT and Zak. We CAN play Sehwag, but I think he should rest too. My dead rubber match team - 1. KKD (wk) 2. GG 3. Yuvi © 4. Raina 5. Rohit Sharma 6. Yusuf 7. Irfan 8. Ojha/Bhajji 9. PK 10. Munaf 11. Ishant
Players need to be rested when they are really tired, not just for the heck of it. Fast bowlers I understand coz it takes a lot out of you. I don't agree resting batsmen and spin bowlers esp playing in the cooler environs of NZ. The players who look like they need a game off .... Zaheer, Dhoni .. Sachin is injured anyways .... Don't see the need to rest Yuvi and Viru. And the priority should always be to maintain the momentum and to win the match. Its an international match !!
well said.