Dhoni's quip at toss

flamy

Have you guys heard Tendulkar talk likewise? Does that make him a siss or does it mean he hasn't the confidence? Just look at South Africa as an example. When they played in Australia there was no talk, just action and you saw the result. Saffies got carried away and talked heaps before the Aussies could visit South Africa. Now you have seen the result. You can be confident without being arrogant. At least wait till India is through with the series. India hasn't won a test series in NZ for quite some time. By chance India struggles these comments will come to bite back big time. The Aussies were criticized plenty here when they were arrogant but now an Indian does it you guys call it great stuff. I don't quite understand this. If you can admire Dhoni for his comments then you can admire Ponting for his arrogance too. Don't you think?
Fair point. But I don't I've ever criticized for saying, "We usually get our game up for the big games, and it should be no different this time" or that Hayden is probably one of the greatest openers of the game, etc. I think he was criticized heavily for making comments like "He had a good game against us. That's strange for Zaheer." and then next game, Australia were pwned by Zaheer and Ishant. Then, at the beginning of the last tour, said, Ntini never bowls above 140kmh, and he was bowled (or caught behind) at a 140kmh ball that swung back in. There's a difference between arrogance due to confidence and then arrogance under the name of mental disintegration (or some crap like that). Viv Richards several times said things that you would count as arrogant but he was able to back his words up. Ponting never can. That said, I'd also wait until the end of the tour to say anything though.
That said, I'd also wait until the end of the tour to say anything though.
Yes, better to finish the tour and talk. The performance talks for itself, 3-0 - there is no need to say too many things now, just wrap up the Test series also, and that will speak for itself. What MSD said at the toss is not a big deal. But certain other statements that folks like Bhajji say, those can be toned down - let Bhajji get a couple of 5-fers or 4-fers in the New Zealand Tests -- make the statement with your bowling and by getting Test wickets.

Yes graphic said it quite nicely. PWNTing was criticized for making ridiculous statements like: "I think they play old-school cricket" "I think they are a soft sort of people" "It's a surprise Zaheer had a good game" I would not have any problem if he would say "we are going to whitewash this series". That's just gamesmanship. And until, Dhoni or any other Indian cricketer comments on a player's talent level, his mental attitude, his style of play, I'm very proud of them. And anyways, we are not even talking about expansive statements here. Dhoni said what was on everyone's mind (even regarding Pak), adn Sehwag just replied bluntly to the questions asked. Since when is saying the truth something to be ashamed of?

Fair point. But I don't I've ever criticized for saying, "We usually get our game up for the big games, and it should be no different this time" or that Hayden is probably one of the greatest openers of the game, etc. I think he was criticized heavily for making comments like "He had a good game against us. That's strange for Zaheer." and then next game, Australia were pwned by Zaheer and Ishant. Then, at the beginning of the last tour, said, Ntini never bowls above 140kmh, and he was bowled (or caught behind) at a 140kmh ball that swung back in. There's a difference between arrogance due to confidence and then arrogance under the name of mental disintegration (or some crap like that). Viv Richards several times said things that you would count as arrogant but he was able to back his words up. Ponting never can. That said, I'd also wait until the end of the tour to say anything though.
Zaheer Khan has had his share of foot in mouth too. We can never forget 2003 WC can we? Harbhajan has made so many statements he must have forgetten pretty much everything. Sreesanth is a legend in making statements. Munaf never shuts up. There are a lot of loose cannons in the Indian team as there was/is in the Aussie team. Just that we don't see them because they are Indians. Ponting has backed up his comments many a times. In fact I haven't known many captains that have led the team to thumping wins after a major series loss. Every time we write off the Aussies, Ponting has led them back with victories. Return tour of England to Australia after their Ashes win resulted in 5-0. Now the Saffies have been defeated 2-0 and it could end up 3-0 as well. Not many gave Australia a chance but they have won. McGrath, Richards, Ponting, Warne are a few that have had a touch of arrogance and have backed it up in the long run. I hope Dhoni does it too. Ponting has over 10,000 runs in test cricket and Hayden has been one of the best openers in test/ODI cricket but we call them arrogant. They may have failed few times but they have backed up their statements too. We call them arrogant because they piss us by being cocky. When Dhoni does it we call him Captain courageous. We obviously do that because this is an Indian cricket fans website and we need to back our blokes. Indians have never had a chance to be arrogant because they never won consistently enough :winky:. I'd still wait for the series to be over and if India goes on to win it hands down they will deserve to be a bit cocky/arrogant.

What Dhoni said is no way as cocky as what others have said in the past. Bhaji was extremely cocky in saying we'll win 5-0, but I guess we've backed that up with some good performances. Sehwag has always spoke bluntly. He doesn't mean to offend, but he just hasn't grasped the English language fully

Didn't expect India will lose that badly last night but sure they did. With a high octane batting India has there are going to be times when India will go all out to score and in the process they will fall apart. They had that in the first Twenty20 as well. This is where you can hold your arrogance till the time you get extremely consistent. 5-0 as per Bhajji didn't happen. With regards to Dhoni, so much for NZ not knowing setting the taget, it took no more than 23 overs for NZ to complete the chase. A champion team like India was thrashed to put it mildly. Moral of the story : Let the actions do the job for you and don't count the eggs before it's hatched.