Test cricket in danger of succumbing to glitz and glamor of T20 and IPL

fineleg

Sentiment echoed by Ricky Pwnting

Australia captain Ricky Ponting has warned of a "really dangerous" future for Test cricket. "I gave the Bradman Oration last year and I stated that what I want for the next generation of Australians is to do what I've done: play 150 Tests and represent their country for a long time," Ponting told the Wisden Cricketer. "But something in the back of my head says that their focus could switch from that to being attracted by the glitz and glamour of Twenty20 and the money that might be around." Interestingly, a survey conducted by the Australian Cricketers' Association earlier found that the majority of centrally-contracted players were not convinced that representing Australia will be the pinnacle of their sport in a decade's time. The results appeared to confirm Ponting's statements: the financial rewards from Twenty20 could, for many players, prove more enticing than the prospect of national selection. Though Ponting had already decided not to turn out for Kolkata Knight Riders in the forthcoming IPL season due to his Australian commitments, many of his team-mates are expected to take part in the tournament, even as doubts persist over player security and the tournament schedule. Ponting was also alarmed about the lack of concern shown by the top execuitives of world cricket, who he believed did not understand the impact of player burn-out. "Administrators just don't see burn-out," he said. "Players are the only ones who know when they can get themselves up to 100%. As an international sportsman you don't want to be playing when you're not at your absolute best. "In the last few months quite a few of our players have been on the edge of not being able to get themselves up to 100% all the time. Someone like Mike Hussey would have played as much as anybody around, I reckon." Australia played 17 Tests, 18 ODIs and two Twenty20 internationals in 2008, and the count already stands at three Tests, 10 ODIs and three Twenty20 internationals in a little over three months in 2009. Once finished with the three Tests and five ODIs on the tour of South Africa, Australia are scheduled to play five ODIs and a Twenty20 against Pakistan in the UAE in April-May. They then head to England to defend the Ashes, where they will also play seven one-dayers. They arrive in India next, in October, for a seven-match ODI series before ending the year with Test series at home against Pakistan and West Indies.

He has a point but he will go all guns blazing against the IPL now that he isn't participating in IPL. A lot of these blokes are exaggerating the IPL effect. Hasn't the test cricket quality gone up since the last IPL? West Indies have picked up their performance, Saffies beat the Aussies and Indians beat the Aussies. Is this bad for test cricket? There is more competition in test cricket than there ever was. Most IPL players are doing very well in IPL as well. I don't reckon IPL will hamper test cricket but it could do a bit a damage to ODI format. People may not want to sit long enough to watch a 50 over one sided game. So far in the NZ vs India series all the games have been pretty one sided. The two Twenty20s India and NZ played were very close though.

Test cricket is overrated from audience POV 5 days of work with often no result, 20- 20 rocks; exciting, thrilling and over in 3 hrs so I can accomplish bigger and better things than watching cricket:two_thumbs_up:
+1 Test cricket is great to watch, fun, drama, and all that. But in this day and age nobody has the time to watch a game for 6 hrs a day on a weekday.
The only thing that will bring the downfall of tests is flat pitches
This is the biggest reason why Test matches are boring. If the pitches were neutral, then a lot of boring batsmen would be rid of their misery by getting out. It'll make test matches what they're intended to be: testing the players.
IMO tests face danger because People want to watch t20 and its a matter of demand and supply ...
There are lots of us who want to watch Tests if only they get scheduled more often. However, there is the small matter of weekdays and not having much time, that is true.

i have never experienced more thrill in cricket than watching exciting Test matches and i doubt ODIs and t-20 will bring such excitement(they will always be fleeting to me) but these are in danger because of our obsession of getting a full 5 days out of the match which is reducing the overall quality of test matches and making some bowlers look real silly.

The only thing that will bring the downfall of tests is flat pitches
Guess you haven't really watched most of the on-going Test series b/w South Africa and Australia. They got wonderful pitches in SA, and even with intense bat and ball competition, you barely see people showing up to watch. Had this been T20, it would have been jam packed. It's not just flat pitch, but more and more T20 will kill Test cricket a lot more quicker. Within few years even India will stage most of the Test series at home around empty stands just b/c of IPL. If T20 bug isn't controlled then it will eventually take over Test and even ODIz.
Guess you haven't really watched most of the on-going Test series b/w South Africa and Australia. They got wonderful pitches in SA' date=' and even with intense bat and ball competition, you barely see people showing up to watch. Had this been T20, it would have been jam packed. It's not just flat pitch, but more and more T20 will kill Test cricket a lot more quicker. Within few years even India will stage most of the Test series at home around empty stands just b/c of IPL. If T20 bug isn't controlled then it will eventually take over Test and even ODIz.[/quote'] lol at this whole response.when you prepare such a tripe of a pitch for tests against lanka where they were more security than spectators then you dont a leg to stand on.
Test cricket is overrated from audience POV 5 days of work with often no result, 20- 20 rocks; exciting, thrilling and over in 3 hrs so I can accomplish bigger and better things than watching cricket:two_thumbs_up:
agreee... Test Cricket is OVERRATED ... its a fact that people dont like Change... when ODIs were introduced, ppl called it a Circus Cricket...i think T20 is going through the same phase...i bet most of the folks here only watch Indian batting innings in Tests... only for few spells, i dont think its worth wasting 7*5 =35 hours of life for 1 match... ppl talk how they want to see more Test Cricket but most of stands are empty during the Test Matches... if ICC wants more countries into serious Cricket, they have to advertise and play more T20...
agreee... Test Cricket is OVERRATED ... its a fact that people dont like Change... when ODIs were introduced' date=' ppl called it a Circus Cricket...i think T20 is going through the same phase...i bet most of the folks here only watch Indian batting innings in Tests... only for few spells, i dont think its worth wasting 7*5 =35 hours of life for 1 match... ppl talk how they want to see more Test Cricket but most of stands are empty during the Test Matches... if ICC wants more countries into serious Cricket, they have to advertise and play more T20...[/quote'] Cricket will have no meaning without Test Matches. I hope and think that they will still form the core crux of cricket in the future. I'd hate to see ICC reduce the # of Test Matches to get more nations into Cricket by playing more T20. But I can only hope. We have a bunch of incompetent fools running cricket.
agreee... Test Cricket is OVERRATED ... its a fact that people dont like Change... when ODIs were introduced' date=' ppl called it a Circus Cricket...i think T20 is going through the same phase...i bet most of the folks here only watch Indian batting innings in Tests... only for few spells, i dont think its worth wasting 7*5 =35 hours of life for 1 match... ppl talk how they want to see more Test Cricket but most of stands are empty during the Test Matches... if ICC wants more countries into serious Cricket, they have to advertise and play more T20...[/quote'] you dont have to watch the whole of the test match to enjoy it-by all means promote T20 but the ICC knows and more importantly the players know that the ultimate in cricket will always be test cricket.what more do you want ?.do you how much t20 we are playing this year?.anything more would just be silly .