Sehwag's field placement, our catching and fielding

Perhaps they practiced way less than they should have. The Indian team management thought they were better off staying back in Auckland than head to Napier. The Indian team only ended up in Napier about 18 hours prior to the start of the game. That said the pitch is a belter and India should bat fine as well but there was definitive lack of urge to improve prior to this match. I hope the complacency has not creeped and India has not taken the result for granted. If NZ go on to post over 500/600, India can only draw the game and cannot win. http://content.cricinfo.com/nzvind2009/content/story/396715.html
Ravi, yeah, the lack of practice really shows. But whether the pitch is a belter or not should not come into play. Out batting shouldn't hide our abysmal fielding/catching. It was never good to start with but yesterday, it was pathetic. When Munaf Patel is the only one who pulled off a dive, we ought to know something is wrong. Yuvraj was situated at deep point, and he didn't seem very agile at all. The cut shot came to the right of them, and he messed up just swooping and throwing it. First he didn't know where the ball went after his rather ill-timed dive. Then, he threw the ball after finding it and in process of recovering from the throw, he fell on his knee again. And that was just the beginning. It was quite terrible to watch. And everyone's slip-catching seems to have taken a beating. Damn. And tomorrow, when we're batting, watch them save a lot of runs due to brilliant fielding, and we'll have no response to that. Its a little frustrating for the fans, but I guess the team's not too concerned about this.
bete lal' date=' check the test record for our team in away series in the last 6 years - the pattern speaks for itself.[/quote'] Check our record over the last year and a bit, that speaks for itself Compare that to previous years and you should see massive improvements Its a flat wicket, so they were bound to score runs, but fielding was poor, especially from Yuvraj, a guy who you don't expect to be dropping thm

it was a bad day yesterday, but i am hoping that will make our boys perform better in this test..it was like a kick in the back, for taking NZ too lightly and not practicing that much before the start of the test..the boys needed this kinda day..they will come back for sure..no way are we losing this one..but to win this one we need to be on our top game right from the start of day 2 and if they can do that, it will be really great..a very good challenge for this young and aspiring number 1 team..

..it was like a kick in the back' date= for taking NZ too lightly and not practicing that much before the start of the test..
All that is good - the main thing is can Ind play out of their skins on day 2 session 1 to recover? They absolutely must keep NZ under 450 (now that damage is done, I dont see how NZ will miss out on minimum of 450). If NZ score 500-550-god forbid 600, then even if its good pitch to bat on, our batsmen will be under tremendous pressure since they have the runs on the board to attack us for a very long time.
All that is good - the main thing is can Ind play out of their skins on day 2 session 1 to recover? They absolutely must keep NZ under 450 (now that damage is done, I dont see how NZ will miss out on minimum of 450). If NZ score 500-550-god forbid 600, then even if its good pitch to bat on, our batsmen will be under tremendous pressure since they have the runs on the board to attack us for a very long time.
If Viru gets going, that total of 500 will soon be looking sub-par before you can say "WHINE". Also, on a true batting surface, I trust Yuvi to blast some scorching drives and rack up a big score. :icflove:
dint we win against Oz having conceded 550 in the first innings..and this team is much more stronger than that Indian team and NZ bowling is not that strong too..so even if NZ score 550+ i wont be surprised if we get a 1st innings lead..i have full faith in our batting..i wud only be surprised if we get bundled out less than 500 in our first innings..anyway u always think on these lines..so no use speaking to u..

^ huh, did I say we wont get a big score? I'm just saying despite our batting lineup in good form, there is the big pressure factor and our batsmen need to put something extra to overcome that. You just dont seem to think of that as an important factor. Sort of like "We are in good form, have a good lineup, so its a given that we'll get 500". Anyway, lets see how the next few days unfold.

^ huh' date=' did I say we wont get a big score? I'm just saying despite our batting lineup in good form, there is the big pressure factor and our batsmen need to put something extra to overcome that. [b']You just dont seem to think of that as an important factor. Sort of like "We are in good form, have a good lineup, so its a given that we'll get 500". Anyway, lets see how the next few days unfold.
i have watched test cricket long to understand wat u have said..but the Indian team rite now is on a roll..the pitch is flat..the NZ bowling is weak..so no matter what they score we shd get 500 irrespective of the pressure, because of the standards that the team has set in the past 2 years or so..
i have watched test cricket long to understand wat u have said..but the Indian team rite now is on a roll..the pitch is flat..the NZ bowling is weak..so no matter what they score we shd get 500 irrespective of the pressure' date= because of the standards that the team has set in the past 2 years or so..
I hope they do this.

Shocking fielding and catching effort. I've never seen a worse drop than the one Ishant dropped just few balls ago. He wasn't even looking at the ball. Most Indian players look disinterested and I don't blame them they have been in the field for nearly for 2 days. I think there is still a bit there for the bowlers particularly with the new ball. There were a few that moved around in the morning session. This test match will test the Indian batsmen.

Shocking fielding and catching effort. I've never seen a worse drop than the one Ishant dropped just few balls ago. He wasn't even looking at the ball. Most Indian players look disinterested and I don't blame them they have been in the field for nearly for 2 days. I think there is still a bit there for the bowlers particularly with the new ball. There were a few that moved around in the morning session. This test match will test the Indian batsmen.
And they have to pass that test without collapsing. They really must. Rare series win at stake.