Yuvraj Singh

Anakin

Yuvraj has great reserves of mental strength? So far' date=' in the test matches, I've been unable to see him give an hour to the bowlers, and not score for more than 20 balls. His technique hasn't been great to have 20 successive dot balls. He needs to find a balance - because a 0 on the flat pitch by driving on a up and edging to slip is not the way you can show that you can play test matches.[/quote'] Sarchasm:winky: my avatar should have told you as much.
Sarchasm:winky: my avatar should have told you as much.
Ah, couldn't tell. The reason I thought you weren't sarcastic is because he has shown a lot of character when wickets fell around him several times in LOI formats. Sehwag thinks spin bowlers shouldn't exist, but Yuvraj thinks bowlers shouldn't exist and should be on top of them all the time - it might not be true at all but thats the way I feel when I see replays of that dismissal.
He has great reserves of mental strength...but he keeps holding it in reserve also...that's the problem. I suppose he is saving for a rainy day...but no one plays cricket on rainy days...someone has to have a word with him. :cantstop: Nah...he will come good...wait and see.
No he won't come good in the long run.Has a faulty driving technique and backfoot driving is virtually non-existant. I always judge the calibre of a batsman by how well he drives through covers/point off the backfoot. He might get away wih this in the subcontinent but not outside.If you analyse his dismissals you'll see that more often than not he gets caught behind(tests and ODIs). It would be interesting to compare the % of dismissals caught behind of the various left handers.
No he won't come good in the long run.Has a faulty driving technique and backfoot driving is virtually non-existant. I always judge the calibre of a batsman by how well he drives through covers/point off the backfoot.
Interesting point...though there are a number of successful players on the scene even now that are predominantly front-foot cover drivers. Ponting may be considered one of them...though I have seen him cut and square drive on the back foot too...but I have seen Yuvi do that too...but he like Ponting, likes to get on the front-foot. But I will watch Yuvi more carefully next time bearing your point in mind and see.
all that stems from horrible footwork and it hasn't improved at all.
I find that his footwork is non-existent early in his innings...a bit like Ponting actually, though he moves better than Yuvi, most vulnerable then...and then he gets out and we don't get to see Yuvi at his best.
Interesting point...though there are a number of successful players on the scene even now that are predominantly front-foot cover drivers. Ponting may be considered one of them...though I have seen him cut and square drive on the back foot too...but I have seen Yuvi do that too...but he like Ponting, likes to get on the front-foot. But I will watch Yuvi more carrfully next time bearing your point in mind and see. I find that his footwork is non-existent early in his innings...just like Ponting actually...and then he gets out and we don't get to see Yuvi at his best.
Though, Ponting does like to come on the front foot, he has a relatively good defensive technique (Ishant's recent exploits notwithstanding). He can be devastating too when he's on the top of the bowlers but does give the bowlers their hour if they're bowling really well. And, like you mentioned, he can cut, pull, drive square, etc. extremely well.
Interesting point...though there are a number of successful players on the scene even now that are predominantly front-foot cover drivers. Ponting may be considered one of them...though I have seen him cut and square drive on the back foot too...but I have seen Yuvi do that too...but he like Ponting, likes to get on the front-foot. But I will watch Yuvi more carefully next time bearing your point in mind and see.
I should have put that more clearly..i was not suggesting that he is a bad backfoot player.Infact he is very good at hooking/pulling the ball.I was talking more about the drive off the backfoot. You can see this Sachin(those cover drives off the backfoot today were awesome) and Dravid(two off our very best). Its just that 40% of the time in Test cricket the ball is on this length..you got be able to play this shot to be a top notch batsman.Infact i would say thats the difference between a 50+ average player and a 40+ one. And Sachin,Dravid separate themselves from Ganguly and Laxman in this regard.Mind you still have to be good off the frontfoot and cuts etc.. to avg above 40.
No, for me, Ponting's pull shot shows that he has a LOT of time when he's waiting on his back foot. The same confidence isn't evident in Yuvraj.
True...but he has time because he picks the length early and shifts the weight on to the backfoot for the swivel...however playing to off through square drives/cuts are different from pulls in that the body is moving away laterally in different directions. And yes, now come to think of it...seeing Yuvraj pull a few times...I recall a few times it's been on the front foot where his hands flow through and he sort of folds in half to get the shot through...meaning he is instinctually going onto the front foot too eagerly. So you do have a point...he is not shifting his weight according to the ball but triggering forward and then reacting, more through hand speed than weight transferal.

Guys pulling/hooking isn't the issue..you can get away with it if you have good evasion technique.Anyways bowlers don't predominantly bowl that length throughout. Another good example of what i was saying is Sehwag and GG(again avg above 50). These guys are again good at picking runs off deliveries on the length which i was talking about.Whereas Sachin and Dravid(to a lesser extent) might prefer the cover area, Viru and GG prefer the point area.Viru is especially quick to latch onto that lengh..cuts evn when there isn't sufficient width.

He delivered! Played his part in getting the draw. Its just he is such a nervous starter. More then any other batsman he needs that one shot to hit the middle of the bat and race to the boundary. Gets in to double figures and he is a different batsman. Today nervous twitchy start, then smoked a four and was then majestic. Well done yuvi thats 2 4th innings knock of great worth now as he delivered against england with Sachin as well

He delivered! Played his part in getting the draw. Its just he is such a nervous starter. More then any other batsman he needs that one shot to hit the middle of the bat and race to the boundary. Gets in to double figures and he is a different batsman. Today nervous twitchy start, then smoked a four and was then majestic. Well done yuvi thats 2 4th innings knock of great worth now as he delivered against england with Sachin as well
Agree...his start was really twitchy today...but after that...sweet as... It's a confidence thing too...I think with a few good innings of note under his belt, he will feel that he belongs there and the pressure that makes him nervous will ease. Note too, that it was the new ball when he came in to bat. Good innings by Yuvraj...I hope this spurs him on to his full potential...which is massive. Come on Yuvi!

Well. So he scored a fifty at last, so he is fit for tests??? Forgot about his technique, flat pitch etc. He don't have a mental strength to play in a test matches. If he/team is under pressure and has to play defensively, he simply can't play. In this inning, He is not under pressure, its almost a T20. I mean only 20 hours left.

Its funny how differently commentators view Yuvraj Singh, when he is playing ODIs and test matches. If he walks in to bat during an ODI, there's plenty of fear-filled admiration of Yuvraj. The same Ian Smith, Mark Richardson and Martin Crowe were waxing lyricals about UV's amazing hitting power and his match-winning capabilities as an ODI player. Come to the tests, all that respect and fear is replaced by mocking comments about his technique and how he looks at all at sea against the moving ball. Its like commentating to two different players. :D