Dravid takes a shot at Viru - or is it Laxman?

Gambit

enuf said....12 runs off 96 balls when we needed quick runs.... I guess dravid couldn't adapt to the situation and change his natural game in that innings...
Well said. Viru can play slow for a change. Dravid however can not change his game. But lets not bash either. They both have their roles to play and they play them well. But they should respect each other and refrain from saying such things in the open.
enuf said....12 runs off 96 balls when we needed quick runs.... I guess dravid couldn't adapt to the situation and change his natural game in that innings...
comments like these can be thrown at every player e.g. surviving 42 minutes and 21 balls when we needed to survive 2+ days and 1000+ balls they have their respective strengths & limitations so comments kike these cannnot be used to devalue one against the other citing 1 incident
comments like these can be thrown at every player e.g. surviving 42 minutes and 21 balls when we needed to survive 2+ days and 1000+ balls they have their respective strengths & limitations so comments kike these cannnot be used to devalue one against the other citing 1 incident
Agreed. Let's not bash anyone especially greats like dravid and viru :two_thumbs_up:
I dont think he was bashing Dravid. He just pointed out that changing your natural game is easier said than done. Even Dravid has not been able to do it himself.
Ok lets clarify this once for all Veeru is no Afridi- playing blind shots and with zero sense is not his natural game His game is being aggressive, dominant and using a lot of talent including the proper cricket shots, great eye-hand coordination, seeing the ball early and being able to whip the opponents into surrender. Now with this kind of game there does come the risk of losing his wicket too and that should not be a problem for his team or his fans who expect all these good things from him. But he is not so devoid of talent that he cannot play a non-aggressive shot following a boundary delivery from an innocous bowler like Jeetan Patel on a flat pitch that it was when only a few overs are remaining in the day ; I am sorry to say that it was not his "natural" game but rather loss of his mental faculties. If you all defending that shot can't see that Veeru could have plundered the bowling using his natural game rather than falling into obvious traps then you all are lesser fans of Veeru than I am; maybe that is Dravid's frustration with him too. He does not expect Sehwag to become a "wall" suddenly but a player of his talent could not restrain himself off 2 successive balls; come on!!! that has got to be frustrating.

if Dravid had mentioned these comments in response to any specific questions like-" did you play your nattural game or were you given any instructions to play cautiously"- then he is justified in making these sort of remarks. other wise i wish these are discussed in team meetings. how ever i agree with his point of view. all those who support Sehwag's criminal shot selection in the 1st innings and hara-kiri at the closing stage when following on in the 2nd innings, putting #3 in a tough situation, plz realise that even Viv Richards wud not have done that. I have watched Viv play brutal shots and treat the best of bowlers as if he is in net practice. but he had a situational awareness that guided him thru tough and challenging period of play.now, dont tell me Sehwag is greater than Viv Richards ever was. As a captain, he shud have certainly played more sensibly. there is absolutely nothing wrong if he had showed more respect to the bowler in the situation the team was in. even if he had pulled it off, it would have been a cracking 6 but he was living dangerously , surviving a lucky 4 the previous ball in the 2nd innings.he has handled far better bowlers than Vettori and Jeetan Patel comfortably. a bit of patience would not have been out of place considering the psychological advantage, if he was unbeaten going in to 4th day. India could have even fancied an opportunity to for a win, if he had played for couple of sessions. he missed out on a big double hundred here, in both innings. Having said that, i think you would see a determined Sehwag in the 3 rd test who will bat more sensibly against the spinner(s), but he has to survive the swing from the seamers first up.

Ok lets clarify this once for all Veeru is no Afridi- playing blind shots and with zero sense is not his natural game His game is being aggressive, dominant and using a lot of talent including the proper cricket shots, great eye-hand coordination, seeing the ball early and being able to whip the opponents into surrender. Now with this kind of game there does come the risk of losing his wicket too and that should not be a problem for his team or his fans who expect all these good things from him. But he is not so devoid of talent that he cannot play a non-aggressive shot following a boundary delivery from an innocous bowler like Jeetan Patel on a flat pitch that it was when only a few overs are remaining in the day ; I am sorry to say that it was not his "natural" game but rather loss of his mental faculties. If you all defending that shot can't see that Veeru could have plundered the bowling using his natural game rather than falling into obvious traps then you all are lesser fans of Veeru than I am; maybe that is Dravid's frustration with him too. He does not expect Sehwag to become a "wall" suddenly but a player of his talent could not restrain himself off 2 successive balls; come on!!! that has got to be frustrating.
nicely said :hatsoff:
if Dravid had mentioned these comments in response to any specific questions like-" did you play your nattural game or were you given any instructions to play cautiously"- then he is justified in making these sort of remarks. other wise i wish these are discussed in team meetings. how ever i agree with his point of view. all those who support Sehwag's criminal shot selection in the 1st innings and hara-kiri at the closing stage when following on in the 2nd innings, putting #3 in a tough situation, plz realise that even Viv Richards wud not have done that. I have watched Viv play brutal shots and treat the best of bowlers as if he is in net practice. but he had a situational awareness that guided him thru tough and challenging period of play.now, dont tell me Sehwag is greater than Viv Richards ever was. As a captain, he shud have certainly played more sensibly. there is absolutely nothing wrong if he had showed more respect to the bowler in the situation the team was in. even if he had pulled it off, it would have been a cracking 6 but he was living dangerously , surviving a lucky 4 the previous ball in the 2nd innings.he has handled far better bowlers than Vettori and Jeetan Patel comfortably. a bit of patience would not have been out of place considering the psychological advantage, if he was unbeaten going in to 4th day. India could have even fancied an opportunity to for a win, if he had played for couple of sessions. he missed out on a big double hundred here, in both innings. Having said that, i think you would see a determined Sehwag in the 3 rd test who will bat more sensibly against the spinner(s), but he has to survive the swing from the seamers first up.
Excellent post Rajan and Suraj For folks defending this shot selection in 2nd innings..you are being a lesser admirer of him defending that shot Sehwag is NOT a mindless cricketer...he is an exceptional talent who can make good balls bleed runs. He need not take such dumb risks seeing the situation of the game No one is bigger than the game and this was a test match where the team was in deep trouble, no excuses for that shot .period That shot could easily put him in the Afridi league. We don't want Sehwag to look like Afridi any moment