Is Dhoni too defensive as a captain ?

Is Dhoni too defensive as a captain ?  

1. 1.

With a gun under the head of Vettori while he sent his team to bat in the second inings he would have desperately wanted India to bat as much as they can b4 declaring their second innings and setting up a target for the N Zelanders But Dhoni missed a trick there :(( Some points about Dhonis defensive techniques 1) Having a deepcover in place while bhajji was attacking 2) Having only a slip and a gully when guptill and taylor looked attacking and ishant was the sufferer :giggle: 3) Batting for no reason till day 4 which cud have easily have been declared once India reached 450 or may be 500 as he knew that rain can play spoilsport 4) Indians have been a bit complacent in their fielding but neways we are not bothered says Dhoni as we ave already won the series :yay: BUT IN MY OPINION DHONI IS A DEFENSIVE CAPTAIN Have a look at his records and look technically at ityou will find that even in his wins, we have been gifted those by some gr8 bowling by our bowlers and some ordinary batting by our opposition 1st match was vs affers @ Kanpur We won that bcoz it was a dead turner track which breakdown on day 3 and bhajji was unplayable and we all now that saffers cannot handle good quality spin :giggle: So it wasnt Dhoni magic it was Bhajji magic 2nd match was against Aussies at Mohali That too was a defensive captaincy by MS Dhoni he declared after setting a target of 515 for the aussies....that was unbelievable.....The aussies were all set to draw this match but Ishant bowled a charging sell and won the game for us and zaheer also bowled beautifully 3rd Match vs aussies at Nagpur This match was won by India bcoz of some great batting by Sehwag Sachin and Dhoni himself and he also used a good plan that was meant to rampage the aussies...He used the 8-1 field to hussey and katich who looked to block every ball .....:hatsoff: to that plan but overall it was the desperation of aussies to score fast in second innings to level the series that won the game for us...NOT DHONIS CAPTAINCY :eyedance: 4th match vs England at Chennai We won that bcoz of heroics of sachin and sehwag along with Yuvraj.....we chased down a manmoth 387...No Dhoni here too :(( 5th match vs England at Mohali We were in a position to win but the tactics of putting forward personal milestones ahead of the vicory of the team lead the match to a draw......poor captaincy :finger: 6th match vs New Zeland at Hamilton We won that bcoz of our good batting performance especially by Sachins....160 :hatsoff: Our bowlers too did a fabulous job there zaheer ishant and bhajji did good job and finally we won that game and now this one...Dhoni is a very defensive captain and m sure after watching this you may have a say at this :two_thumbs_up:

For me a sad day today. It was almost like being back in the 60/70/80's when India would win one test and then go for boring draws for the rest of the series. Yes India won the test *series* but they could have easily won the test match as well. (Dhoni did exactly the same against England in the last test match where India went on to bat until lunch-time last day). Yes, I also know that India did not have the full two days to bowl out Nz but one would have guessed that after seeing the weather conditions. 550 at the end of 3rd day was more than enough - this is not Aus you are taking on and expecting them to score 500+ in the 4th innings of a test match. A big opportunity missed. He is certainly a defensive captain if he has won a test match early on. But, everyone will say look at his record etc but his record could have been almost perfect by winning this and the match against England. He has a chance to go down as a greatest Indian captain ever (he may well still do that) but this defensive approach does not suit him.

lucky man but i think soon he will be shown the red card...:giggle: i mean not out of the team but out from the captaincy :winky:
Yea, dude and eventually out of team too, I should think. Who do you think will be made captain? I vote for Ashish Nehra. He got married, so he can take out all his frustration on the field and be more aggressive.
Yea' date=' dude and eventually out of team too, I should think. Who do you think will be made captain? I vote for Ashish Nehra. He got married, so he can take out all his frustration on the field and be more aggressive.[/quote'] And what sin has balaji done?
Yea' date=' dude and eventually out of team too, I should think. Who do you think will be made captain? I vote for Ashish Nehra. He got married, so he can take out all his frustration on the field and be more aggressive.[/quote'] :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: flamy u r quite funny yaar....ashish shud not be a part of delhi team...fuhget about india..:giggle: i think we shud move forward and make somebody like zak or even for that reason bhaj as captain coz both are experienced enuff to do the job....i cant say viru bcoz i dont want him to be under any sort of ressure....he is best when not undr pressure :winky: but ashish nehra :still laughing:
And what sin has balaji done?
balaji shud be the captain of the team when u have the following 11 murali vijay karan goel ajinkya rahane pujara dinesh karthik rajat bhatia piyush chawla Irfan pathan ajit agarkar balaji nehra :haha: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
balaji shud be the captain of the team when u have the following 11 murali vijay karan goel ajinkya rahane pujara dinesh karthik rajat bhatia piyush chawla Irfan pathan ajit agarkar balaji nehra
I can not see whats the problem in that. Balaji will be a brilliant captain. If we have to make some adjustments to the team to get him, so be it. Note: Agarkar can be made vice captain.
Well then Parthiv Patel qualifies' date=' doesnt he? He can also replace Dhoni as keeper.[/quote'] and what about dinesh karthik.......:hysterical: :hysterical: he can be the next man to break dhonis record for the most no. of catches he has in his career in just one match

One extremely lucky bugger he is in terms of not getting stick from the media. If Sehwag or Rahul Dravid or Kumble or even Tendulkar had done what Dhoni did they would have been crucified. Lucky India had already won the series. Extremely defensive leadership it was. I thought he was better than Rahul Dravid in this aspect but he seems to be from the same school. Sehwag was blasted in the last match for his bowling changes and field settings but it was no better this time around from Dhoni either. It was shocking some of the bowling changes and field settings. The fielders were so lethargic and the number of drop catches in this test match did no good either. There was some great fighting efforts from the likes of Zaheer, Gambhir, Rahul, Tendulkar and Harbhajan that went absolutely waste because of Dhoni. I'm not saying he's a bad captain but he's not great as he is made out to be. He's definitely better than Rahul Dravid or Tendulkar but not in the top ranks as yet. The amount of hype he gets he should do better than this. That said there is no better candidate than Dhoni to lead this team though, he gets the results no matter what. BTW I also know the OP was intending to be a thread contemplating bashing of Dhoni and making mockery of that but I had to express my anger at missing out on winning a test match in a town Indians haven't won.