Who will be the most successful IPL captain this year ?

gaurav92

Most successful for me isn't even about winning the most matches - that would be the most successful team. The most successful captain for me would be someone who makes the best use of his resources, reads the situations correctly on most occasions, has flexible strategies according to them, knows which XI to play where etc.

Most successful for me isn't even about winning the most matches - that would be the most successful team. The most successful captain for me would be someone who makes the best use of his resources' date=' reads the situations correctly on most occasions, has flexible strategies according to them, knows which XI to play where etc.[/quote'] Hmm, how would you judge whether the captain is using all his resources to the best extent if they are not delivering proper results ?

Subjectively......captaincy cannot be classified in W/L ratios.
Perhaps, but the W/L ratio gives an idea of how successful some of the more radical strategies/ideas were in helping the team win matches. The ultimate goal of a captain and his strategies is to win the matches. Obviously, some of the times they're thwarted by even more brilliant batting/bowling on the other end. But generally, I'd feel that the W/L ratio does give an idea into the success of a captain.

Perhaps' date=' but the W/L ratio gives an idea of how successful some of the more radical strategies/ideas were in helping the team win matches. The ultimate goal of a captain and his strategies is to win the matches. Obviously, some of the times they're thwarted by even more brilliant batting/bowling on the other end. But generally, I'd feel that the W/L ratio does give an idea into the success of a captain.[/quote'] That's assuming every captain has the same resources to work with - I personally rate Fleming very high as a captain even though his W/L ratio compared to Ponting would be pitiful. Now given similar resources Dhoni has been able to deliver better than Kumble, so he is a better captain.