Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar

King

'Australians want to demolish our heroes' Press Trust of India Posted online: Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 1913 hours IST Updated: Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 1924 hours IST Sachin Tendulkar New Delhi, March 31: Ian Chappell's advise to Sachin Tendulkar to think in terms of retirement from the game touched off a furious debate with several former players saying that it was too early for him to call it a day. Advertisement Former captain Ajay Jadeja said it was all very well for Ian Chappell to give such an advice but the answer has to come only from Tendulkar. Chappell should remember how Tendulkar has achieved his greatness and carried the weight of expectations of a billion people since the age of 16, Jadeja said. He said former Australian captains Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh were not going great guns long before they announced their retirement. "Australians don't treat their heroes badly but they come here and want to demolish our heroes," he said. John Wright, the former New Zealand batsman who had also coached the Indian team, said Tendulkar still has some ?good cricket in him?. Taking part in a television programme, Wright said, "I think he still has some good cricket in him. There are another 4 or 5 batsmen who have not done well. In any case, it's upto him to decide if he wants to continue playing". Ian Chappell, who was sitting beside him, interjected ?provided he is playing for the right reasons?. Another former Indian cricketer Ashok Mankad felt Chappell's comments about Tendulkar playing only for records were uncalled for as the little champion was known to be a team man and motivator. "I don't think Sachin has that kind of mindset to play for statistics, he is far above all those petty things." "Having worked with him for three years and followed his career, I found that he is a positive energy and always puts in and expects hundred percent from himself and others," Mankad said. In his column for the Mid-Day newspaper, Chappell stirred a hornet's nest by saying Tendulkar has become a shadow of his former self in the last three or four years and has looked like a player trying to ?eke out a career?. Former India stumper and current Maharashtra coach, Chandrakant Pandit said Tendulkar has played the game for long to judge himself and decide on retirement. "Sachin Tendulkar is good enough to know his ability and approach towards the game. He is an experienced player and knows how long he should carry on playing," Pandit said. "With his experience, he knows what is required at that level, he is very much aware. He can judge himself better than anybody else. I don?t think anybody should advice him whether to continue or not," he added. Former Indian skipper Ajit Wadekar also felt that India's disastrous World Cup campaign could not be blamed on Tendulkar and it's not time for the Mumbaikar to call it quits. "We cannot blame Sachin for the debacle. It's not right. He still has two to three years of good cricket left in him," Wadekar said. Legendary spinner Erapalli Prasanna felt Tendulkar did not need any advisory on his retirement plans as he was mature enough to make the decision. "Tendulkar is such a mature player he must be aware what he wants. I am sure he knows where exactly he stands in the game today and the decision on his retirement should be made by him and not by anybody else," he said. Prasanna's views were echoed by former captain K Srikkanth, who said India's World Cup flop show should not be the reason for any retirement plans of the little master as he was good enough to continue for another couple of years. "In my opinion, Tendulkar has one or two years of cricket ahead of him. He is such a committed player and if he has a lean phase in the World Cup, it does not mean that he has to call it a day." "The whole team could not come up to the expectations and it should be left to Tendulkar himself to take any such decision," Srikkanth said. Former stumper Syed Kirmani also felt at least two more years of cricket are left in Tendulkar, who is experienced enough to know when to call it quits. "I think Ian Chappell has given his opinion. But such a decision rests in the hands of Tendulkar only. I see a couple of more years of cricket in him. He may play more time than that period depending on his fitness level. He is not a player to wilt under pressure and he knows his own strength. I feel and hope he will live upto the expectations of cricket lovers of the country. There are no achievers like Sachin Tendulkar in Indian cricket," Kirmani said.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar That is for the emperor himself to decide. He knows when its time to go.. No smart-ass needs to tell him that... This horse-shit chappell needs to shut his mouth up.... seriously..

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar Interesting OP. But the CNN IBN poll suggests the opposite Ravi. Out of 60 former cricketers polled, 86% wants Dravid to continue as captain. 9% said no. On Tendulkar: 33% said he shud retire from both forms of cricket 56% said retire from ODIs only 11% wants his to be dropped from the team

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar Drop him and pick who ?? Suresh Raina ?? Venugopal Rao ?? You guys fail to understand.. Sachin at his best is the best batsmen in the world. Sachin at his worst will be 10th best batsmen in the world. that is what he is right now. Its almost as if people have been waiting for an oppurtunity to get at him and the world cup fiasco has given them that chance.. Sachin is unfortunate victim of his own high standards. Has there even been a player in the modern era who has been as consistent as him for so long in their career ?? In a matter of three matches , people have started debating his batting , his place , his ambitions etc..

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar When Sachin Retires, he will retire from both forms of the game. He has too much pride to quit one part, most importantly he would like to play as much as he can to get his touch back; be it any form Isn't it with everyone in the world, the more people try to put you down, the more you want to prove! I feel this WC debacle will be a good wake up call, as Indian cricketers have reached the niche of disappointment. TV Ads, public pressure, god-like personalities should come down to earth and they can go and play the sport called cricket, not the business

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar

Drop him and pick who ?? Suresh Raina ?? Venugopal Rao ?? You guys fail to understand.. Sachin at his best is the best batsmen in the world. Sachin at his worst will be 10th best batsmen in the world. that is what he is right now. Its almost as if people have been waiting for an oppurtunity to get at him and the world cup fiasco has given them that chance.. Sachin is unfortunate victim of his own high standards. Has there even been a player in the modern era who has been as consistent as him for so long in their career ?? In a matter of three matches , people have started debating his batting , his place , his ambitions etc..
Everything u say about him, is true in general. But he cannot sit on those stats forever. We questioned Ganguly's place in the side not too long ago & he was rightly dropped for non-performance. To his credit, SG has shown that he has the mental strength & hunger to fight his way back into the team. SRT must be treated the same way. SRT will do well to remember that he broke into the team as a 16 year old sensation. How did we unearth such a prodigy at 16 ? Am sure some senior at that time, had way better stats than this kid ? SRT must consider it his responsibility to vacate his spot for grooming a junior (atleast in ODIs). Otherwise, some day, all our seniors will hang their boots together & we'll have so many vacancies to fill without any replacements ready enuff. Thats a frightening scenario, if u consider that we dont have too many youngsters in the pipeline who are READY

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar Burdening with captaincy will be a big mistake, he's already under a lot of pressure. BTW this guy just had a good run in the ODIs before the WC if not mistaken, couple of bad matches and the same chant begins again. As I said before, IC should write about the coaching success of his bro first.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar

Drop him and pick who ?? Suresh Raina ?? Venugopal Rao ?? You guys fail to understand.. Sachin at his best is the best batsmen in the world. Sachin at his worst will be 10th best batsmen in the world. that is what he is right now. Its almost as if people have been waiting for an oppurtunity to get at him and the world cup fiasco has given them that chance.. Sachin is unfortunate victim of his own high standards. Has there even been a player in the modern era who has been as consistent as him for so long in their career ?? In a matter of three matches , people have started debating his batting , his place , his ambitions etc..
Marir, Everything you say is correct. But is there any point in Sachin continuing to play the useless number of ODIs which no one will remember? We have to rebuild a team for the next WC because that is the only tournament when ODIs matter. And Sachin surely won't be playing till then? So why not look at the larger picture, preserve himself for the real test ie, test cricket and do least damage to his already injury plagued body? I think Sachin will have to take a hard decision for himself here. There is still plenty to achieve in test cricket but nothing at all in the ODI cricket.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar remember an article in sports star. Young Sachin had been selected into the 15. But there was doubt to select him for the final 11 or not. Kapil send down a few overs to both sachin and the man whose place was under threat. The liime master send the ball to all parts of the ground. However in the final call the more experienced peron was chosen. His reply The fastest century by an Indian 100 of 62 balls by Mohammad Azaruddin.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar This talk of rebuilding the team baffles me.... Do you re-build at the expense of your best batsman ? and is it not fair enough to say that it is toooo early to think about the next world cup ?? let alone try to build-up a team for it ... And because Sachin has been playing for so long , 33 seems to be an old age.. It is simply not. Lara is 37 and some of his best innings have come after 33 and so is the case for many other players. Just look at the Australian Team.. Hayden, Langer , Gilchrist , Steve Waugh etc... If we apply the same rebuilding logic to Aus , will hayden be dropped after this world cup ? It simply isnt prudent to drop a player just for the sake of restructuring for something you hope will happen. We are used to Sachin dominating the bowlers so much that when me makes comaprtively sedate score , he seems out of form. And to an extent numbers dont lie. Below i have given the career summary sachin and ponting in their last 100 matches. The supposed period when ponting has been in the best form and sachin his worst.. Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St Sachin 100 3808 152 43.77 10 22 46 5/50 35.78 1 23 0 Ponting 100 3925 164 44.60 10 26 - - - - 55 0 Sachin is still our best batsmen guys. You dont drop your best batsmen and rebuild the team.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar i have no idea why Indian act so stupid at times. I mean its ian chappels opinion thats where it ends. whts the need for anyone to debate with him. Just because ponting couldnt keep his mouth shut after sunnys comment doesnt mean we have to give a fitting reply everytime an aussies player says something about indian players or cricket.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar All he needs is to step back and try to adjust himself. I mean the Indian team has played most ODI's than any other team since last year, if BCCI continues to do this, it will surely result in disaster. Give the players more room to breath. I hate comments by Sunil Gavaskar who said: "I wouldnt miss any opportunities to play for my country." Thats not logical at all because some of the players if not all would want to play and represent their country but their fitness restricts them. But I still think that there should be revision in Indian team by bringing some new and young talent.

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar Everybody seems to be complicating this matter way too much. Forget what Chappell thinks, forget YOUR EXPECTATIONS of Sachin hitting a ton or ending world hunger, or whatever ... ... just realize that he is still immensely talented and that any ostensible replacement would be LESS TALENTED. If you want to get rid of Sachin, then you must prove you have a "Sachin II" waiting in the wings who has all the talent SRT has plus something else. We don't have that, ... so he stays (in both ODIs and Tests) (By the way, ... I no longer believe he is a match winner, and so I won't hold him to that. My more sobering assessment is that on average, he is an excellent batsman, and thus deserves a place even though more times than not, he fails in meaningful games).

Re: Former cricketers rally around Tendulkar WHY the DOUBLE-STANDARDS re; Tendulkar. IF the lard-ball isn't scoring runs, drop him. Who gives a sh*t how great he was throughout his career; put the past behind and let's move on. The situation has worsened to the extent that Tendulkar's presence in the side is now hurting India, as he continues to block the path for young talent and isn't doing enough to hold down a place in the squad. He is no longer as indispensable as he once was. The sooner our BCCI tools realise this, the better.