Now women cricketers want their own IPL

Guest gaurav_indian

Guest gaurav_indian

Now women cricketers want their own IPL

New Delhi: Completely bowled over by the glitz and glamour of the cash-awash Indian Premier League, country's leading women cricketers now want a similar Twenty20 extravaganza for themselves. The trio of Anjum Chopra, Amita Sharma and Reema Malhotra said women's cricket was improving by leaps and bounds and such a tournament would do them a world of good. "Cricket is developing continuously and Twenty20 is a part of it. Women are also associated with the game and one such event is needed for women cricketers," Chopra said. Chopra, who has played 12 Tests and 116 one-dayers, felt putting up a good performance in next month's Women's World Cup would brighten such a prospect. "The way BCCI has adopted women cricket and encouraging us, I feel we can see this tournament happening in future. Regarding the question of having this tournament in India, I think it is imperative that we win the World Cup. That will increase the popularity of the women cricketers," said the veteran player. Medium pacer Amita Sharma said women cricketers must play Twenty20 to master the format first hand, rather than watching their male counterparts in action. "I feel women players desperately need an IPL for them. We cannot learn just by watching on TV. It will be better if we ourselves get to play in a similar tournament and learn," she said. Middle-order batswoman Reema Malhotra believes once the IPL firmly established itself in global calendar, BCCI would consider starting a similar women's league. "The second edition of the IPL is on and when it will become an integral part of the global cricket, I hope such a tournament will be organised for women players too," she said. "Women cricket is developing fast. First it got merged with the International Cricket Council and BCCI also took us in in their fold. Now that we are getting good facilities, I hope we will get a Twenty20 event as well," she added.
http://cricketnext.in.com/news/now-women-cricketers-want-their-own-ipl/40588-27.html I guess Women's IPL will be more successful than Men's.:eyedance::eyedance:Only difference will be cheerleaders.Men will be the cheerleaders.:hysterical:

Don't think it will come anywhere close to the men's version in terms of success as evidenced by similar attempts in other sports. That said, they do need a chance to prove themselves, so I am all for it.

Don't think it will come anywhere close to the men's version in terms of success as evidenced by similar attempts in other sports. That said' date= they do need a chance to prove themselves, so I am all for it.
Agreed.