Australia's Ashes squad named.

really?what has Watson achieved in test cricket which is so noteworthy and irreplaceable?
It's not to do with what he's done but more with the potential that he has. It's a shame he's so crippled with injuries, I really felt this could be his series to put in some solid perfomances and get himself back up again but no injured again he is. Even if it's just for the 1st games, it's becoming a joke now.

North has plenty of potential as well, don't sell him short. At the end of it, North is far more likely to deliver with bat and ball in the series. Plus playing him allows for him to shoulder the spinning load with Katich, and allow four seamers to play (preferable to Horrorwitz).

North has plenty of potential as well, don't sell him short. At the end of it, North is far more likely to deliver with bat and ball in the series. Plus playing him allows for him to shoulder the spinning load with Katich, and allow four seamers to play (preferable to Horrorwitz).
I'm sure he does, he's form has been pretty poor lately though. I'l be watching him closely in this series. Hauritz is a one day bowler at best.

You're very kind. Hauritz is a club bowler who makes Ashley Giles look penetrating. That's about as low as you can go. They really should give a more attacking guy like Krezja a better chance. Australia's selectors have been diabolical in their treatment of spinners. The best way to nurture spinners is to keep giving them a chance. Krezja turned in a very impressive debut performance against India, then got dropped. Played another game later, got dropped. McGain played a game, got dropped. Etc, etc. They should take a lesson from the selectors a decade and a half ago. Warne got picked; got belted all over in his debut. They stuck with him, allowed him to grow into his role and gave him more than just one or two matches to show what he could do. 700 wickets later... As for Watson; his career to this point has been about a lot of potential and promise and very little in terms of real performance. The IPL-obsessed idiots will moan and point to his performance in one of the circus editions in between their usual moronic trolls, but in tests and ODIs he's done very little. Not much with bat and almost zero with ball. North has potential as well but he's already delivered a fair bit.

Watson is the new Bruce Reid. Body held together by sticky tape. Disclaimer: Reid at least pieced together a decent enough international career, and won a few Tests and ODIs for Australia (notably v England and India @ MCG in 1990/91 and 1991/92 respectively). But of course everyone remembers Allan Lamb bashing him for 18 in the final over of a one-day match.

Keep this topic bookmarked, and keep some good Aussie Shiraz aside to wash down your words with once North has a killer Ashes series. :winky: Either way - regardless of who's picked at #6, I'd like to see them do well against the Poms. (But I strongly feel the odds are much better if it's North.)

I am eating a lot of words right now. Lee is bowling very, very well with the old ball. Utter rubbish with the new ball, but if they have the brains to trust Johnson and Siddle with the new ball, pick Clark as the steady hand and Lee as the strike bowler with the old ball, things could be pretty good. Hauritz of course is ****ing ****.

I am eating a lot of words right now. Lee is bowling very, very well with the old ball. Utter rubbish with the new ball, but if they have the brains to trust Johnson and Siddle with the new ball, pick Clark as the steady hand and Lee as the strike bowler with the old ball, things could be pretty good. Hauritz of course is ****ing ****.
i would have Johnson n Hilfy with new ball,Siddle n Lee with old ball.