Time to Leave Australia ?

Desi Cartman

No, no no, stop, just stop and hold on for a moment :orderorder: :protest: I am sorry but if you're coming to another land out of your own free will for purposes of study, settling down etc, the land that you come to doesn't owe you any special favors and the impetus is on you to make a sincere effort to fit in by respecting the new lands culture, language and traditions
Can u please point out how does a person sitting alone on a station or in a train send vibes to an A-hole that he does not get along with aussies and doesnt have aussie friends ?
This issue is not a racism issue so I am at a loss to explain why people are of the view Indians are targetted simply because they're Indians.
When a bunch of 14 year olds spit on your face and tell u to **** off to India .. IMO that is racism ...
The problem can be summarized as follows: These attacks have taken place in the less affluent suburbs of Melbourne that already have a bad reputation, where the policing of thugs has proven a problem. The Indian students are seen as "easy targets" that carry around expensive equipment such as laptops, phones and ipods amongst other accessories. When attacked, the Indian students do not retaliate for fear of deportation from the immigaration authorities. In an attempt to crack down on the crime rate, police have asked Indian students to look the part, not draw needless and unnecessary attention to themselves and avoid dangerous train and bus stations at evening and night times
you are right ... al though some attacks have been outside werebiee but as I have said b4 most of the attacks were opportunistic crimes but what people have been experincing at least here in melbourne on the trains especially is racism ... listen to talk back radio around 9am on ABC and u will hear not only Indians but South africans as well as many other people have called in to tell that they feel insecure and they have been bullied on the trains
So this issue is in essensce a policing issue where students were repeatedly targetted for them being easy targets. How this was woven and spun into a racism issue where Australian flags are burnt is sickening and off the point
because some of the attacks have been racist
If you feel Australia is a racist country, please pack your bags and catch the first plane home. You cannot live in this beautiful land, enjoy the opportunities, the good life and degrade the country's name on the basis of few isolated incidents
Shouldnt international students be warned of this before so they dont spend so much money , take loans and come here ... for other people who are residents or citizens , they pay taxes like u do or Bradman does , they expect security and crackdown on racism .. can u explain whats wrong with that ?

Simple tell them- "We will as soon as you f*** off back to Europe" Cheek of the baskards! Atleast you entered the country legally their bapus and chachas muscled in killing the locals.
Fighting racism with racism is not the answer though. Just try and ignore it. Like the smart man said, they will probably reply with a knife. If they were bad enough to say that to the face of a 12 year old, seriously that is just sad.

Fighting racism with racism is not the answer though. Just try and ignore it. Like the smart man said, they will probably reply with a knife. If they were bad enough to say that to the face of a 12 year old, seriously that is just sad.
I know and most of the people going around shouting and harassing are teenagers.. btw I heard a physiologist talk about this on ABC today , her POV was interesting. According to her this generation grew up at the time of 911 , Bali bombing , iran , iraq wars .. so they have this fear of outsiders n these attacks r reflection of that fear

Exactly ! also I have seen kids misbehave so much off late. A sri lankan colleague was telling me that his son and his friends were asked to *** off back to India ... Im talking about 12 year old kids here ... There is something wrong bradman. I dont know how we can fix it but trust me if these things continue then many educated Indians will leave ... tourism will take a blow and the education industry as well .. can u imagine how many jobs will be lost .. BTW dont u think the Aussie govt issued too many visas in the last year or 2. Its very easy to create panic among locals if u grant 100000 visas just for students in a country that has 20 mil people ... These 100000 visas dont include people who became permanent residents, came here on skilled visas, spouse visas etc ..
Yeah the problem I see is that this news will only make these idiots want to do it even more, sadly. And yeah I do think Australia have issued too many visas lately and from an Australian point of view I suppose it could be frustrating seeing plenty of your own countryman unemployed and all these other people who have just come over taking there jobs because of cheap labour. But that's life.

If you feel Australia is a racist country, please pack your bags and catch the first plane home. You cannot live in this beautiful land, enjoy the opportunities, the good life and degrade the country's name on the basis of few isolated incidents

Yeah the problem I see is that this news will only make these idiots want to do it even more' date=' sadly. And yeah I do think Australia have issued too many visas lately and from an Australian point of view I suppose it could be frustrating seeing plenty of your own countryman unemployed and all these other people who have just come over taking there jobs because of cheap labour. But that's life.[/quote'] the jobs that international students take are usually the ones that Aussies refuse , I used to work at KFC in my student days and I never saw an Australian/white working during night shift ... Same with the cabs , who is stopping people from getting licenses ...these jobs have always been taken by immigrants since they are difficult. Now I work in IT and I see some of my colleagues arent exactly happy with Indians in India taking their business , Im also unhappy since I live here too and I dont want jobs going overseas but Im upset with the govt but some people confuse these things and start believing that Indians will take over the world. People who get upset with all this are the same people who go to centrelink every month and say "I dont wanna do dishes" . I will give u an example of misplaced anger : Telstra outsourced IT work to India and they paid less money to work during Indian business hours but most telstra employees criticize them for being late. Me thinks , govt didnt plan properly .... although most people forget that with aging population and low birth rate we do need more people in Australia .. PS: post more in match threads .. Im the only aussie here :P :isalute:

the jobs that international students take are usually the ones that Aussies refuse , I used to work at KFC in my student days and I never saw an Australian/white working during night shift ... Same with the cabs , who is stopping people from getting licenses ...these jobs have always been taken by immigrants since they are difficult. Now I work in IT and I see some of my colleagues arent exactly happy with Indians in India taking their business , Im also unhappy since I live here too and I dont want jobs going overseas but Im upset with the govt but some people confuse these things and start believing that Indians will take over the world. People who get upset with all this are the same people who go to centrelink every month and say "I dont wanna do dishes" . I will give u an example of misplaced anger : Telstra outsourced IT work to India and they paid less money to work during Indian business hours but most telstra employees criticize them for being late. Me thinks , govt didnt plan properly .... although most people forget that with aging population and low birth rate we do need more people in Australia .. PS: post more in match threads .. Im the only aussie here :P :isalute:
Yeah I suppose you're right on how they take the jobs people dont want, but there are a lot who also take good jobs as well. In a way, I feel happy for them because they've worked hard so they deserve levels of success but another part of me says what about the people they are taking the jobs from? I am all for giving people from various countries a chance to come here and live, but like you said, there probably has been a little too many in the past few years. But then again, as you said there are good things that come out of having these people come as well, with the aging population and low birth rate but I also like to mix with other nationalities, it's what life is about I reckon. PS: Yeah, I'm presuming most of them don't like the Aussie cricket team!

Yeah I suppose you're right on how they take the jobs people dont want, but there are a lot who also take good jobs as well. In a way, I feel happy for them because they've worked hard so they deserve levels of success but another part of me says what about the people they are taking the jobs from? I am all for giving people from various countries a chance to come here and live, but like you said, there probably has been a little too many in the past few years. But then again, as you said there are good things that come out of having these people come as well, with the aging population and low birth rate but I also like to mix with other nationalities, it's what life is about I reckon. PS: Yeah, I'm presuming most of them don't like the Aussie cricket team!
I think most people hate only ponting and Clarke cuz of the history .. U will find many threads about gili , hayden and of course Symonds :--D but anyway thats for another thread...

Can u please point out how does a person sitting alone on a station or in a train send vibes to an A-hole that he does not get along with aussies and doesnt have aussie friends ? Desi please, even Australians have apprehension about catching public transport from suburbs that have a tarnished reputation. Some people, such as these thugs, you just cannot be reason with. When a bunch of 14 year olds spit on your face and tell u to **** off to India .. IMO that is racism ... On the basis of such incidents by those who shame both the Australian and Indian communities, the entire country, one that celebrates multi culturalism, is labelled racist. Is such slander justified ? you are right ... al though some attacks have been outside werebiee but as I have said b4 most of the attacks were opportunistic crimes but what people have been experincing at least here in melbourne on the trains especially is racism ... listen to talk back radio around 9am on ABC and u will hear not only Indians but South africans as well as many other people have called in to tell that they feel insecure and they have been bullied on the trains Racist attacks happen everywhere. Singling out Australia is unfair. because some of the attacks have been racist ... and "some" is all they shall reman Shouldnt international students be warned of this before so they dont spend so much money , take loans and come here ... for other people who are residents or citizens , they pay taxes like u do or Bradman does , they expect security and crackdown on racism .. can u explain whats wrong with that ? Burning the Australian flag, or the flag of any other country for that matter, is an abhorent and shameless crime. I cannot bring myself to support such despicable actions against my adopted homeland, one that I am forever indebted to.

Desi please, even Australians have apprehension about catching public transport from suburbs that have a tarnished reputation. Some people, such as these thugs, you just cannot be reason with.
Yaar 5-6 years ago , it wasnt this bad .. maybe since u r not in melbourne so thats why u dont know how bad it has become for everybody especially Indians
On the basis of such incidents by those who shame both the Australian and Indian communities, the entire country, one that celebrates multi culturalism, is labelled racist. Is such slander justified ?
No I dont think so ... But someone has to do something ... I couldnt believe that in Aus we dont have many laws against hate crime.. we need those ... Im worried that if a lot is not done shortly then one day it will be labeled a racist country
Racist attacks happen everywhere. Singling out Australia is unfair.
I live here !
... and "some" is all they shall reman
I hope so ..
Burning the Australian flag, or the flag of any other country for that matter, is an abhorent and shameless crime. I cannot bring myself to support such despicable actions against my adopted homeland, one that I am forever indebted to.
I agree 100% ... In fact Indian media is making it worse ... al though the Aussie govt needed a kick ... these things have been happening for sometime but the govt hasnt done anything . BTW I was speaking with my cousin who finished B Tech and she was telling me that many people from her UNI have withdrawn applications to Aussie unis ... This thing will hit us hard ... many jobs in tourism & education will be lost

I agree with your post. If u look at the attacks its usually teenagers who are doing this.. the reason is what is highlighted in red above. The kids watch their parents talk about foreigners in a funny way and kids do not understand the difference between having a laugh & being racist .. they think its ok to pick on Indians since everybody does that ... As for the monkey chant and all .. guess how many Indians get called curry muncher everyday in Australia ... When it happened in India it was on news in Aus and now when indians are getting beaten up , stabbed etc the same media is saying "Indian media is over doing it" .. the worst and the lamest excuses I have heard are from talk back radio shows. People have blamed call centres , ,language , culture , jobs that Indians do , accent , not enough seats on the train and what not ... this is what worries me In the hindsight , I feel its a mistake that the Aus govt has made by letting around 100k Indians in a year. Maybe its a shock to the society when they see that 30% people walking the city are Indians these days or when they see that 90% cabbies are Indians ... but we cant blame students al though I think Aus wasnt ready for it
that is lame and disappointing and it is sad that there was nothing in aus media till it became a big deal in India.I do wonder though that unless its overt racism,how do you tell whether someone 's being rude to you because he/she is a miserable git whose mother never loved him or cause he/she doesnt like your race.

HULLO??????? http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Australian-cops-punch-stomp-on-peaceful-protesters/articleshow/4606057.cms Australian cops punch, stomp on peaceful protesters

MELBOURNE: Indian students were punched in the head and stomped on the chest by cops during the Melbourne protest rally on Sunday. They were threatened with capsicum spray. One was admitted to the hospital after his "thumb was broken during the police attack", an eyewitness told an Australian newspaper. ( Watch ) To add insult to injury, they also found themselves on the wrong end of the law. Around 18 protesters were detained for “breaching peace”. “I witnessed police officers stomp on a student’s chest. Other police officers repeatedly punched students in the face. A sitting protester was knocked unconscious by repeated punches to the head by a policeman,” Damian Ridgwell, Swinburne University Student Union president was quoted as saying in The Age. “At least one baton was used to smash a protester’s legs, while the front row of students was threatened with capsicum spray,” said Ridgwell. The protest rally was organised by the Federation of Indian Students of Australia. Banker Yogesh Malhotra said about 200 cops surrounded protesters and then moved in. “There was definitely excessive force by Victoria Police,” Malhotra told ABC Radio. “Six (cops) to one guy who was sitting down peacefully, who was punched and dragged.”
It is TOI, but still :dontknow:

HULLO??????? http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Australian-cops-punch-stomp-on-peaceful-protesters/articleshow/4606057.cms Australian cops punch, stomp on peaceful protesters It is TOI, but still :dontknow:
A march supposed to last for couple of hours turned into a protest where people blocked the main crossing in melbourne till monday morning. NO trams ran from Mid day sunday and i think they made their point and it was time to move on. Some people were getting drunk and stones were thrown towards the train station breaking glasses. The cops did give few warning and asked them to leave & when they didnt they had to use force. BTW couple of people wh got injured were whites I remember India's Lathi charge :icflove: I remember seeing 100s of people running away from the freozshah kotla .. Police was lathi charging every 30 mins to maintain order :dontknow:. This is where is find Indian press dishonest, I read another article on how an Indian came to Aus in 2007 and went back in 3 months ... I have seen 10s of students who were pampered at home and went back cuz they just couldnt cope up .. I read the article , its all BS it said he used to leave home at 4am to reach his uni at 8am since the college told him that he has to do his course from another campus... Plain simple BS .. check out how far these colleges are Map

All said and done, Australia is a beautiful country and I love it here. There were race riots in LA back in 1991; bombs, riots, terrorist attacks and what not in Mumbai but I still lived there and would not mind living in either places at all.

A march supposed to last for couple of hours turned into a protest where people blocked the main crossing in melbourne till monday morning. NO trams ran from Mid day sunday and i think they made their point and it was time to move on. Some people were getting drunk and stones were thrown towards the train station breaking glasses. The cops did give few warning and asked them to leave & when they didnt they had to use force. BTW couple of people wh got injured were whites I remember India's Lathi charge :icflove: I remember seeing 100s of people running away from the freozshah kotla .. Police was lathi charging every 30 mins to maintain order :dontknow:. This is where is find Indian press dishonest, I read another article on how an Indian came to Aus in 2007 and went back in 3 months ... I have seen 10s of students who were pampered at home and went back cuz they just couldnt cope up .. I read the article , its all BS it said he used to leave home at 4am to reach his uni at 8am since the college told him that he has to do his course from another campus... Plain simple BS .. check out how far these colleges are Map
Indian press over-hypes and over-sensationalizes everything .. it is known fact .. but they support people of India and fights for their rights and that is why Indians support them.. but they are of the type "paise ke liye kuch bhi karega" and that is wrong

All said and done' date=' Australia is a beautiful country and I love it here. There were race riots in LA back in 1991; bombs, riots, terrorist attacks and what not in Mumbai but I still lived there and would not mind living in either places at all.[/quote'] Just curious.......what made you move to Oz after living in the US for so many years??

Just curious.......what made you move to Oz after living in the US for so many years??
Marriage. Hubby is an Aussie citizen working in Melbourne. We've known each other since the time we were both living in Mumbai. I've always wanted to settle abroad and now I have the opportunity to choose to live between 3 different countries :)