Next coach?

Re: Next coach?

I voted for Mohinder Amarnath. From what I know he was a gutsy cricketer and took no ***** from the administration. India needs someone like him. Iif India goes on to hire a foreign coach and the team doesn't do well people simply will point to different culture as the reason for the coach not doing well. It is better take away that angle from the coaching point of view.
i wouldnt go for anyone from IND, mate. all these guys, kapil, sunny, jimmy, they are all freaks--they became IN SPITE OF the system. how are they gonna chisel a world-class team, unless u r going back on yr original thot--coach has little to do , it is a team game-which i totally buy. but a guy like jimmy, for instance, said, "here's my lap and if u see the upari (upper) surface, that's a laptop." PUH-LEASE. aint gonna work. u cant teach what u dont know.
Jesus, Why can't an Indian be the coach. Amarnath would be a great coach in my opinion. His tongue and cheek comment about "laptop" should not be taken out of context. Go and ask guys like Michael Holding ,Imran etc and they will tell you the courage and tenacity of Amarnath. Heck , he was the only guy who had the balls to go against management time and again and even called the selectors a bunch of jokers when he was wronged. He is a tough no nonsense guy who is beyond this Zonal BS that plagues our national team. And when your fav VVS was dropped from WC2003 ,guess who was the first one to speak in support of VVS. The only thing he lacks is experience and if Chappell can be selected for taking S.Australia down the drain , then pray tell me why can't an Indian like Amarnath be the coach.

Jesus' date=' Why can't an Indian be the coach. Amarnath would be a great coach in my opinion. His tongue and cheek comment about "laptop" should not be taken out of context. Go and ask guys like Michael Holding ,Imran etc and they will tell you the courage and tenacity of Amarnath.[/quote'] ...yawn. Amarnath's career as a PLAYER has no bearing on his ability as a coach. Chappell is one of the greatest batsmen ever but turned out to be a dud as a coach. I wish people would stop trying to justify a coach's credentials by referring to his performances as a player. Absolute garbage

Jesus' date=' Why can't an Indian be the coach. Amarnath would be a great coach in my opinion. His tongue and cheek comment about "laptop" should not be taken out of context. Go and ask guys like Michael Holding ,Imran etc and they will tell you the courage and tenacity of Amarnath.[/quote'] ...yawn. Amarnath's career as a PLAYER has no bearing on his ability as a coach. Chappell is one of the greatest batsmen ever but turned out to be a dud as a coach. I wish people would stop trying to justify a coach's credentials by referring to his performances as a player. Absolute garbage
I am not talking about player performance here. I am talking about character and coaching ability here which Chappell lacked. BTW, what was Chappell's credential when he was hired as the coach. Did you support that move during that time ?

I am not talking about player performance here. I am talking about character and coaching ability here which Chappell lacked. BTW' date=' what was Chappell's credential when he was hired as the coach. Did you support that move during that time ?[/quote'] Oh, and pray tell what "coaching ability" Amarnath has ? You cited his performances as a player by referring to his courage and tenacity as a batsman. As for Chappell; no he wasn't MY choice for coach back in the summer of '05 - i wanted Whatmore. That said, i still gave him a chance and supported him. Chappell did have some coaching experience, and he also picked the World Cup winning '87 Australian side - which gave me the impression that he had an "eye" for talent. That wasnt' much, but Amarnath has no such experience to speak of.

Re: Next coach? Choices 1.Whatmore - Based on past history and his sub-continent connection 2. Gavaskar - known for his closeness to a lot of players. Can have a good rapport wit hall of them 3. Wright - Experience with the team and refereshed brain 4. Viv - The man's attacking nature and respect he earns 5. Cheeka???? - i am going through his videos in cricketnext.com, surprisingly he has been consistently talking sensible stuff. any one game fo rthat

I am not talking about player performance here. I am talking about character and coaching ability here which Chappell lacked. BTW, what was Chappell's credential when he was hired as the coach. Did you support that move during that time ?
Character as a player has nothing to do with coaching ability. exhibit A: balcony dancer

Hasn't Amarnath coached any domestic Indian team? I know Chappell coached Aussie domestic team prior India.
Amarnath coached Rajasthan for a while, but it didn't last more than a few months. He also coached Bangladesh many years ago, but again - he didn't last longer than a month or two. If this guy can't make an impression with a small team how the hell can he handle arrogant, larger than life Indian cricketers ?

2. Gavaskar - known for his closeness to a lot of players. Can have a good rapport wit hall of them
Please, no Gavaskar. Remember as a batting consultant in the '04 Aussie series our batsmen went from being tigers to pussycats and have evolved into a yet to be identified species by now.

2. Gavaskar - known for his closeness to a lot of players. Can have a good rapport wit hall of them
Please, no Gavaskar. Remember as a batting consultant in the '04 Aussie series our batsmen went from being tigers to pussycats and have evolved into a yet to be identified species by now.
:hic: :hic: :hic: :hic:

You can't compare coaching a bunch of underconfident young boys in the bangla team(apologies to bangla supporters...i mean the team he took over....they are good enough to beat us now :wtg: :hmph: ).....to being the coach of the team full of demigods with gigantic egoes and simple words like attitude' date='fitness etc being banned words.[/quote'] behenji, IIRC, this same bhidu coached the Lankans to the 96 WC trophy. zara sochiye.
Bhaiyaji.......did they have demigods like ours.....one or two maybe....but the likes of sachin and gang.

I am not talking about player performance here. I am talking about character and coaching ability here which Chappell lacked. BTW' date=' what was Chappell's credential when he was hired as the coach. Did you support that move during that time ?[/quote'] Oh, and pray tell what "coaching ability" Amarnath has ? You cited his performances as a player by referring to his courage and tenacity as a batsman. As for Chappell; no he wasn't MY choice for coach back in the summer of '05 - i wanted Whatmore. That said, i still gave him a chance and supported him. Chappell did have some coaching experience, and he also picked the World Cup winning '87 Australian side - which gave me the impression that he had an "eye" for talent. That wasnt' much, but Amarnath has no such experience to speak of.
For God Sake , if Chappell can be given a chance even after sucking in his last assignment with S Australia , Mohinder Amarnath can also be a given chance. He is a home grown coach. You somehow deem him to be inferior to others. Heck , even Gaekwad was given chance. So why not Jimmy. He is a no nonsense guy who is above zonal politics.Plus he has shown that he is willing to take on establishment. We all know the kind of BS zonal politics that guys like Gavasker or even to some extent Kapil Dev used to indulge in during their tenure as player captain. His previous coaching tenure albeit short was not terminated because of bad performance. He was hired temporarily with Bangladesh. By using Amarnath , the opportunity for culture clash will be limited as Indian coach will be grounded in the realities of Indian cricket.All I am saying we should not be averse to the idea of hiring an Indian coach like Mohinder Amarnath or Sandeep Patil. Looks like our Prima Donna do not work well with high profile foreign coaches. So home grown coach could be a better choice.

:hic: :hic: Plus Pardon my french , Gavasker in my opinion is a slimy character. Remember the Mumbai lobby was alive and kicking during his captaincy and this fella is too political for my comfort.

Re: Next coach? someone here suggested Cheeka.... i am not quite averse to the idea.... he was a brilliant captain... albeit one series.... but he drew a series in its own backyard against a full strength pakistan side at its peak under imran which was challenging windies for nmber 1 spot....the only indian captain.... he realised the full potential of manjrekar, tendulkar debuted and such youngsters..... even a certain vivek razdan..... he was an excellent strategist too... like his experiment with chetan sharma promotion, where he scored a hundred... as an under 19 coach, he has brought a lot of success and is responsible for discovering pathan, aggy, bajji and ramesh etc... but, it doesnt look like he has thrown his hat in the ring, after narrowly missing out on the position to kapil dev in 1999