Captain Timid

Atleast in T20 I'd think. Gayle thrashed Lee and Johnson in their first overs, any other caption would have thought about changing the bowlers, maybe try changing the pace for Gayle. But not Ponting, he gave both the bowlers another over each; lee gets murdered in his second over too and guess what, Skipper Punter takes a massive punt and gives him a third straight over..which went for the maximum! The game was over after 5 overs of murderous batting, daft bowling and suicidal batting. How often has Ponting proven that he is a terrible captain when the going gets tough!

Atleast in T20 I'd think. Gayle thrashed Lee and Johnson in their first overs, any other caption would have thought about changing the bowlers, maybe try changing the pace for Gayle. But not Ponting, he gave both the bowlers another over each; lee gets murdered in his second over too and guess what, Skipper Punter takes a massive punt and gives him a third straight over..which went for the maximum! The game was over after 5 overs of murderous batting, daft bowling and suicidal batting. How often has Ponting proven that he is a terrible captain when the going gets tough!
Yup. He is a bad captain who was lucky to have a good team around him - McWarne, Hayden, Langer, Gillespie (when he was on the top of his game), etc. His team always sorted him out. Now that he doesn't have good players around him - he is struggling. He is especially bad when things are not going for him. For example, where SA scored 430 odd to win that game. He had one bowler going for over a 100 & he kept him bowling. Lee had 2 or 3 overs left by the time the match ended.

Although I dont like Ponting , I think you are being a bit harsh here ... 170+ on English wickets in 20 overs is no easy task and I think Ponting would have been thinking, ok Gayle is taking some risks here, if he takes one too many then we can get him out early. Unfortunately it didnt pay off this time. I think Ponting does struggle at times when the opposition really go on the attack, but I think this was just some great batting from Gayle

Although I dont like Ponting , I think you are being a bit harsh here ... 170+ on English wickets in 20 overs is no easy task and I think Ponting would have been thinking, ok Gayle is taking some risks here, if he takes one too many then we can get him out early. Unfortunately it didnt pay off this time. I think Ponting does struggle at times when the opposition really go on the attack, but I think this was just some great batting from Gayle
I dont agree Bharat, the captain's job is to be pro-active, try and induce mistakes, create opportunities and not just to sit back and hope that a rampaging batsman will make a mistake. Look at what MSD did yesterday, he brought on YP in the 3rd over and that unsettled the bangle's opening batsmen and possibly contributed to Tamim's dismissal.
No quite Bharat. He could have brought on somebody after 2 overs from Lee which went for so many. The guys loses it when somebody attacks Aus. In the past, every opponent have gone against Aus with fear and reluctance. This make captaincy easy when the opposition is not attacking you. As a captain you have to be bit more pro-active.

I am not sure who else he could have gone with in the Powerplay apart from Lee maybe Bracken but no Hopes (James i.e).He didn't have any spinning option either apart from M Clarke and D Hussey. I am not sure if they are good enough to bowl in Powerplay . Watson is back after an injury and he too would have struggled coz he is mainly hit the wicket sort of bowler and both the bowlers were T-ing up for that sort of bowling. So apart from Bracken he didn't have many options btw Bracken too is a risk.

I am not sure who else he could have gone with in the Powerplay apart from Lee maybe Bracken but no Hopes (James i.e).He didn't have any spinning option either apart from M Clarke and D Hussey. I am not sure if they are good enough to bowl in Powerplay . Watson is back after an injury and he too would have struggled coz he is mainly hit the wicket sort of bowler and both the bowlers were T-ing up for that sort of bowling. So apart from Bracken he didn't have many options btw Bracken too is a risk.
That even worse, if as a captain you are getting in to a match with no Plan B as far as bowling is concerned!
That even worse' date=' if as a captain you are getting in to a match with no Plan B as far as bowling is concerned![/quote'] Ok who you would have gone with in the third over? I am not saying Ponting is a great captain just that he didn't have any other option apart from Lee in the Powerplay. Moreover Lee went for 10 runs in the first over, that ain't that bad a start in T20.
No quite Bharat. He could have brought on somebody after 2 overs from Lee which went for so many. The guys loses it when somebody attacks Aus. In the past, every opponent have gone against Aus with fear and reluctance. This make captaincy easy when the opposition is not attacking you. As a captain you have to be bit more pro-active.
If you actually watch the 2nd over by Lee ... besides the last ball, many of the other ones were just air-swings or mishits by the batsman. Any of those could have been a wicket.

Collingwood, McCullum (stand in for yday and full time for KKR), ShoaibMalik (when he was capt), Dhoni (few instances when he bats first and screws up the batting order), Ashraful - all can give competition to Ponting for this award... But inspite of all the tough competition, Ponting will always come out with flying colors and be the undisputed king in this category.

Captain Timid Best baller Johnson gets 2 overs. Keeps in a slip for the slogger Mubarak and keeps mid-off up. Keeps persisting with Brett Lee after Michael Clarke and other spinners have done well on the same pitch. Can't sledge.

Best baller Johnson gets 2 overs. Keeps in a slip for the slogger Mubarak and keeps mid-off up. Keeps persisting with Brett Lee after Michael Clarke and other spinners have done well on the same pitch. Can't sledge.
Dude, please dont say "baller" like our stupid neighbors other than that I agree with the rest