Does anyone else think that Australia may have lost on purpose?

Sounds crazy but hear me out ... Here are the reasons why I think Australia might not have wanted to advance into the latter stages of the tournament: * Ashes series is more important to them, especially Ponting - For Ponting, he knows that losing another Ashes series would almost certainly mark the end of his captaincy, and winning it in England would be one of the few things he has left to achieve. * A few extra weeks of preparation would certainly help them for the Ashes. * Clarke, Ponting & Johnson (arguably their 3 best players) pulled out of the IPL. Wouldnt that have been ideal preparation for a World T20 tournament? Furthermore, Ponting pulled out of the Pakistan series. * In the crucial stages of the last match, Brett Lee was given the ball ahead of Mitchell Johnson despite the fact that MJ is in career best form over the past year and Lee had barely played any cricket. Furthermore, Lee got smashed in his early overs worse than Johnson and has had problems with no-balls. * Ponting would not want to risk an injury to one of his key players and might have felt that a fast paced game like T20 would be a risk (OK, thats a poor point I know because one could also get injured at training) * Ponting, who has fought tooth and nail to keep Symonds in the side before (like for the WC2003), was seemingly very quick (along with Clarke and co.) to send him home. Say what you want about Symonds but the whole world knows just how good he is at this format. Obviously I cant prove this, but this is just a sneaking suspicion and I wonder if others have it too.

By saying this you are discrediting the likes of Gayle, A Fletcher, Mendis, Murali, Sanga and others. If you had watched Gayle take Bret Lee to the cleaners or Mendis bamboozle Aussies you wouldn't have started this OP. Make no mistake Aussies were clueless against Gayle and Mendis. Even if Aussies wanted or Bret Lee tried harder he wouldn't just be able to go for 27 runs in an over. Which bowler would like to be smacked for 27 runs in an over? Even Jadeja, Azhar, Cronje, Manoj Prabhakar, Salim Malik or Wasim Akram wouldn't have been able to conceed 27 runs in an over.

I did watch the game ... both games in fact. Its not that they were trying to lose, but Im thinking maybe (and im not saying this with any certainty, because it does seem farfetched), that they didnt really care that they lost. If they were serious about winning the tournament, why would their best 3 players not participate in the IPL? It seems like the ideal preparation for the T20 world cup if you ask me.

Sounds crazy but hear me out ... Here are the reasons why I think Australia might not have wanted to advance into the latter stages of the tournament: * Ashes series is more important to them, especially Ponting - For Ponting, he knows that losing another Ashes series would almost certainly mark the end of his captaincy, and winning it in England would be one of the few things he has left to achieve. * A few extra weeks of preparation would certainly help them for the Ashes. * Clarke, Ponting & Johnson (arguably their 3 best players) pulled out of the IPL. Wouldnt that have been ideal preparation for a World T20 tournament? Furthermore, Ponting pulled out of the Pakistan series. * In the crucial stages of the last match, Brett Lee was given the ball ahead of Mitchell Johnson despite the fact that MJ is in career best form over the past year and Lee had barely played any cricket. Furthermore, Lee got smashed in his early overs worse than Johnson and has had problems with no-balls. * Ponting would not want to risk an injury to one of his key players and might have felt that a fast paced game like T20 would be a risk (OK, thats a poor point I know because one could also get injured at training) * Ponting, who has fought tooth and nail to keep Symonds in the side before (like for the WC2003), was seemingly very quick (along with Clarke and co.) to send him home. Say what you want about Symonds but the whole world knows just how good he is at this format. Obviously I cant prove this, but this is just a sneaking suspicion and I wonder if others have it too.
good post now listen to this song [ame=
- Ande ka Funda - Jodi No. 1[/ame] B->B->B->

Yes they did lose on purpose. They didnt want to meet india in the super 8s because they got intelligence information that the indians are going to make racist jokes on them and stab them to avenge the indian students in australia :agree: Thats the reason symonds fled even before the tourney started lest bhajji should do some more "teri maankey" spots on him.

Yes they did lose on purpose. They didnt want to meet india in the super 8s because they got intelligence information that the indians are going to make racist jokes on them and stab them to avenge the indian students in australia :agree: Thats the reason symonds fled even before the tourney started lest bhajji should do some more "teri maankey" spots on him.
:--D:--D
Guest Gunner
By saying this you are discrediting the likes of Gayle' date=' A Fletcher, Mendis, Murali, Sanga and others. If you had watched Gayle take Bret Lee to the cleaners or Mendis bamboozle Aussies you wouldn't have started this OP. Make no mistake Aussies were clueless against Gayle and Mendis. Even if Aussies wanted or Bret Lee tried harder he wouldn't just be able to go for [b']27 runs in an over. Which bowler would like to be smacked for 27 runs in an over? Even Jadeja, Azhar, Cronje, Manoj Prabhakar, Salim Malik or Wasim Akram wouldn't have been able to conceed 27 runs in an over.
Actually that has already happened. Uncle Sanath Vs Prabhakar '96. Ring a bell?