Piyush Chawla signs for Sussex

After Sussex bid an emotional farewell to leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed last year, the most successful county side in the English league in recent times had a task at hand — to find a replacement for the proven match-winner who had helped them capture three county titles in the last six years. And they finally zeroed in on Indian Piyush Chawla to replace the bowler who grabbed 600 wickets over the last six seasons. The 20-year-old Chawla, speaking to The Indian Express before flying out to England, said he knew the expectations from him would be huge. “I know I’m replacing a legend who had done wonders for Sussex. I will try to do my best,” he said. Chawla had got a call from the club’s agent during the IPL, in which he was representing King’s XI Punjab. “When they offered me a contract, I said yes straight away. Since I wasn’t in the World T20 squad, I would’ve had to sit at home after the IPL. This was a great opportunity,” he added. Besides bowling to county players, Chawla may also get a chance to bowl against Australia, who will open their Ashes tour with a match against Sussex. “The last time I toured England, the conditions were pleasant but bowling in one-day cricket is different from the five-day game. It’ll be a new experience for me, but I hope my performance in county cricket will be noticed back home,” he said. The best part about the assignment for him is that he’ll get a chance to interact with Mushtaq, who is coaching the side for three months starting from June. “He is my idol, so I’m looking forward to spending time with him. Once he sees me bowl, I’m sure he’ll give me advice if he spots something,” he said. “His arm goes high up, and from there he can bowl both leg-spinners and googlies perfectly. That’s what I want to learn from him.” http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Piyush-steps-into-Mushtaq-s-shoes/473257

Guest Hiten.
The last I heard' date=' BCCI weren't allowing bolwers to come and play in England. Don't know how Piyush managed to come and play here[/quote'] That's because ICL is done and dusted with.

More people should head to these counties. Its an excellent opportunity to get realtime test match experience in phoren conditions. Especially the upcoming batsman need to test and prove they are suitable for all conditions on those sorts of pitches. If the likes of pujara and rahane could even get into a county plate or second XI that is.

will Manish Pandey also get a chance in county cricket etc... that is good test match cricket and I want him to be gaining good experience all thoughout his career BTW how many foreign players are allowed in each county side
I think it is one, previoulsy it was two I guess. But nowadays you have a lot of Kolpak and overseas players on British passport representing the counties, who are not counted as foreign players.
Guest gaurav_indian

Piyush Chawla smashes maiden ton for Sussex Piyush Chawla smashes maiden ton for Sussex

The young India legspinner, Piyush Chawla, smashed a brilliant maiden hundred to give his adopted county Sussex a record total at which to declare, leaving them in dominant position on the third day against Worcestershire at New Road. Chawla was unbeaten on 102 - his second fifty took a mere 28 balls - as Sussex declared on 620 for 9, the seventh-highest total in the club's history, and the largest total Worcestershire have suffered in 13 years. Chawla, who signed this week as a temporary replacement for Pakistan's Yasir Arafat, batted at No.9 and cracked seven fours and six sixes in 95 minutes of exhilarating hitting. To cap a fine day, he then won lbw decisions against Vikram Solanki and Ben Smith, as Worcestershire went to stumps on 120 for 3, seeking a further 212 to win.
http://www.cricinfo.com/countycricket2009/content/story/408826.html