India against relocating matches | Neutral venues ruled out for 2011 World Cup

Feed

di di LAHORE - The Indian cricket board has expressed its resentment over the relocation of the World Cup matches. Reports from various sources suggest that the idea of shifting the World Cup has irked the BCCI and it is likely to oppose the suggestion in the coming ICC meeting. The International Cricket Council will hold a meeting of the original hosts of the 2011 World Cup - India, Pakistan , Sri Lanka and Bangladesh - in London to find, what it says, a lasting solution to the Sports?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Sports?i=mH1qnhaGSbU:Qs1pqHjqza8:V_sGLiPBpWU mH1qnhaGSbUMore... India against relocating matches Published: June 17, 2009 LAHORE - The Indian cricket board has expressed its resentment over the relocation of the World Cup matches. Reports from various sources suggest that the idea of shifting the World Cup has irked the BCCI and it is likely to oppose the suggestion in the coming ICC meeting. The International Cricket Council will hold a meeting of the original hosts of the 2011 World Cup - India, Pakistan , Sri Lanka and Bangladesh - in London to find, what it says, a lasting solution to the imbroglio over hosting issue. With Pakistan aggrieved after being stripped of its right to host the tournament, the ICC is looking to find a way to satisfy the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), which has been demanding that it be allowed to host its quota of matches in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The BCCI is not too keen on relocating the matches to West Asia. It is likely to vehemently oppose any such move by the ICC. "How can we agree on such a move? How can Pakistan ask to host its matches in another country?" a top BCCI official said. The Indian Board's stand is rarely overturned at the ICC forum. But since India has an old habit of bullying around and has in fact got used to treating with contempt other parties legitimate rights - be it brazenly backing off from its commitments to the world on geographical entities since partition, or blackmailing the ICC over illegally shifting the World Cup matches when the issue was not even on the ICC agenda. But Pakistan had played equaled part in lobbying and winning the hosting rights for them. The meeting comes following the PCB's decision to pursue legal action against the ICC, which had relocated the matches to be played in Pakistan because of the security concerns in the country, particularly since the Lahore attacks. The ICC, however, will be hard pressed to find a middle ground that will satisfy all the parties. One of the speculated solutions is to give the PCB its share of hosting fees and have its members in the organising committee. ICC has fixed $750,000 per match for the hosts. There are 49 matches in the tournament and the PCB was originally allotted 14 matches. The present arrangement will see India hosting 29 matches, Sri Lanka 12 and Bangladesh eight.The BCCI will be represented by president Shashank Manohar. ICC president-elect Sharad Pawar will be hooked over phone during the conclave at Lords. Pawar, it may be noted, is also the chairman of the organising committee. Also in attendance will be ICC president David Morgan and chief executive Haroon Lorgat. "I hope that through discussions we will be able to reach a resolution on this matter as soon as possible. It is a matter that is diverting resources and energy that could be spent elsewhere as, with less than two years to go before the event, we need to be conscious that time is passing," Morgan said.

Check out how the media contributes to the animosity between the two countries. The author does not reckon it is not a viable solution to have world cup spread over continents but has a go at BCCI. If playing the WC in Abu Dhabi, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh is an option then whats stops the WC being held partly in Australia, South Africa, England and Sub Continent. How can it even be a viable option to hold all the games that were allocated to Pakistan in Abu Dhabi? If a sane question like this is asked the Pakistani media calls BCCI a bully and treating others with contempt. Not one word against the PCB's failure to even protect the players. If the Lahore fiasco did not transpire how would have Pakistan lost it's right to host the games in the very first place?

Its a Pakistan news paper, what else do you expect? It makes no sense to shift matches to UAE since its not even a part of the Subcontinent and the native arabic people aren't that big followers of cricket but Pakistan will pretty much do whatever is needed to get that 750,000$ X 14.

ICC just needs to be strong here. World Cup is HUGE, spanning 2 months long, all the flying around with immense pressure on getting rest and warmup will be stressful by itself. They'll be flying a lot of Emirates though so the Umpires will be happy :haha:

The BCCI is not too keen on relocating the matches to West Asia. It is likely to vehemently oppose any such move by the ICC. "How can we agree on such a move? How can Pakistan ask to host its matches in another country?" a top BCCI official said. The Indian Board's stand is rarely overturned at the ICC forum. But since India has an old habit of bullying around and has in fact got used to treating with contempt other parties legitimate rights - be it brazenly backing off from its commitments to the world on geographical entities since partition, or blackmailing the ICC over illegally shifting the World Cup matches when the issue was not even on the ICC agenda. But Pakistan had played equaled part in lobbying and winning the hosting rights for them.
Was he crying when he wrote that?
pakistani newspapers are not meant for reading..they can be effectively used as toilet papers.
Although I am no fan of Pakistan, read some real Pakistani papers, unfortunately they can put some of the biggest Indian papers to shame.
Although I am no fan of Pakistan' date=' read some real Pakistani papers, unfortunately they can put some of the biggest Indian papers to shame.[/quote'] Really? How did you get to read this real pakistani papers? There was a site, probably a NGO site. which used to translate local language papers into English. Some paki papers suggested that it was a conspiracy to keep Paki uneducated by sending the Indian team to tour pakistan back in 2004 during exam time. Real pakistan papers indeed!!
Really? How did you get to read this real pakistani papers? There was a site, probably a NGO site. which used to translate local language papers into English. Some paki papers suggested that it was a conspiracy to keep Paki uneducated by sending the Indian team to tour pakistan back in 2004 during exam time. Real pakistan papers indeed!!
English language papers, like Dawn. I find that Dawn covers a lot more of hard news than say, TOI or Hindustan Times. Of course, I am not saying that any of the Pakistani papers are at the level of something like The Hindu.
Really? How did you get to read this real pakistani papers? There was a site, probably a NGO site. which used to translate local language papers into English. Some paki papers suggested that it was a conspiracy to keep Paki uneducated by sending the Indian team to tour pakistan back in 2004 during exam time. Real pakistan papers indeed!!
But they got educated in Cricket
English language papers' date=' like Dawn. I find that Dawn covers a lot more of hard news than say, TOI or Hindustan Times. Of course, I am not saying that any of the Pakistani papers are at the level of something like The Hindu.[/quote'] So only dawn and its better than the toilet papers of India? I have never read TOI and Hindustan times print edition but i thought their online edition was nothing but a tabloid.
Guest gaurav_indian
Although I am no fan of Pakistan' date=' read some real Pakistani papers, unfortunately they can put some of the biggest Indian papers to shame.[/quote'] +1 I know its hard to accept.
So only dawn and its better than the toilet papers of India? I have never read TOI and Hindustan times print edition but i thought their online edition was nothing but a tabloid.
Friday Times is pretty good too. And what you call the toilet paper of India is the largest selling english newspaper in the world. So I stand by my initial comments of some Pakistani papers being better than some of the biggest Indian papers. Considering that India is a democracy with stronger liberal traditions than Pakistan, that's not something we should be happy about.