Saina Nehwal upsets Wang In Indonesian Final to win her maiden Super Series title

Chandan

Saina becomes first Indian to win Super Series Dev S Sukumar / PTI Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:16 IST Email New Delhi: Ace woman shuttler Saina Nehwal today scripted history by becoming the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament after she clinched the Indonesian Open title with a stunning victory over higher ranked Chinese Lin Wang in Jakarta. Saina clinched her maiden Super Series title beating Wang 12-21 21-18 21-9 in an edge-of-the-seat thriller that lasted 49 minutes. Her triumph today is the best ever performance by any Indian woman and at par with All England Championship titles won by Prakash Padukone and her current coach Pullela Gopichand. In the thrilling final, world number eight Saina came from behind to outsmart world number three Wang and avenge her last week's Singapore Open Super Series loss to the same rival. Saina took time to get into the groove as she struggled to gauge the gameplan of Wang in the first game. Wang opened a 4-9 lead and rode on her smashes and better net play o pocket the first game as Saina was left to do the catchup act. But the Indian ace rallied her way back in the second game. Saina levelled the score at 5-5 and then moved together with her Chinese rival till 17-17 before surging ahead to pocket the second game 21-18. In the decider, Saina was in her attacking best besides displaying better nerves in crucial moments. After moving neck and neck till 7-7, Saina went berserk by engaging her rival in soft dribble and net play to widen the gap at 15-9 before reeling off six straight points to seal her place in history. Hailing Saina's victory as an important milestone in Indian badminton, Badminton Association of India announced a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh as a recognition of her feat. "It is a big moment in Indian badminton. We are proud of her achievement. We are announcing a cash reward of Rs two lakhs as an acknowledgment of Saina's hard work and achievement," BAI president V K Verma said. "It is a moment to cherish for Indian sports. Saina has put up a lot of hard work but I will also want to thank the Sports Ministry for their support and financial help," he added. _______________________________________ Wow! What a superb achievement! No Indian had ever done that. It indeed is a big moment for Indian badminton. Meanwhile Pulela Gopichand thinks that Saina's win will help her perform in World Championship I wish her all the best and hope that she breaks in top 5 in the world by the end of this year!

Not semi-seriously but do love to play badminton. Its one of my favorite sports. I used to be really good when I was young but haven't had too many opportunities to play since I moved to the US.
where do you live graphic? if you want I can tell you clubs close to where you live. i play semi seriously in the us, used to play seriously in India.

hey cricketics here you go, call the numbers and find out, hope you get to play somewhere. IF you do get to play and come for tournaments and such let me know, I go to most if not all tournaments in the east coast. Badminton 4 Us Private 15800 Quince Orchard Road Garthersburg, MD Saturday 3-6 pm YES 240-888-6231 Map Badminton Club At The University Of Maryland Private University Of Maryland College Park, MD M-W-F 7-10 PM $5 PER SEMESTER 301-405-1540 Map Loch Raven Badminton Club Public 1212 Cowpens Ave. Baltimore County, MD TUES. & THURS. 7PM-10PM; SUN. 6PM-10PM $40/YEAR 410-823-1898 Montgomery County Badminton Club Private 7100 Whitter Blvd. Bethesda, MD FRIDAY 8:30-10:30PM Gary Chao 240-506-0604

Shabash Triam.. Thanks for those links. Saved my time from googling all this. I need to get back to badminton. It's been yars since i last played it.. but with my cricket continuing, i am sure i won't be that bad still in badminton because of regular cricketing activitiy.

Shabash Triam.. Thanks for those links. Saved my time from googling all this. I need to get back to badminton. It's been yars since i last played it.. but with my cricket continuing, i am sure i won't be that bad still in badminton because of regular cricketing activitiy.
you are welcome cricketics, I am very passionate about badminton so glad to help another baddie lover.