The DilScoop Is A Losing Proposition

Isn't it ironic that the first stroke of this T-20 Final was exactly the same as the very last shot played in the last final two years ago? Both ended in disaster- the first by Misbah, the second by Dilshan. The shot was in fact invented by Douglas Marillier of Zimbabwe, who played it far more successfully than either of the later exponents. He singlehandedly won an ODI against India in India almost purely on the strength of that shot. You got to get it right, and it's amazing when you do. But if you don't, it's curtains. A WC final is certainly no place for it.

Guest gaurav_indian
Isn't it ironic that the first stroke of this T-20 Final was exactly the same as the very last shot played in the last final two years ago? Both ended in disaster- the first by Misbah, the second by Dilshan. The shot was in fact invented by Douglas Marillier of Zimbabwe, who played it far more successfully than either of the later exponents. He singlehandedly won an ODI against India in India almost purely on the strength of that shot. You got to get it right, and it's amazing when you do. But if you don't, it's curtains. A WC final is certainly no place for it.
Yeah i remember that match Sir Aggy was also playing in that match.
Guest Hiten.

Out of all the players', I think tendulkar plays the scoop shot to perfection or maybe it is because he does not over use this particular shot. It's a very difficult shot to execute because you have to judge the bowlers' length very early and get into the position to play this shot. I have not seen SL's game in the T20, so I am not aware of how well does he actually play this shot.

Difference was Australia won that final by 7 runs whereas Pakistan were more comfortable in this match. Agreed though- is a stupid shot to play under real pressure situation. Misbah could have hit Sharma's medium paced pies anywhere yet decided to play that. Ok, Jogi deceived him in lack of pace but he should have hit it anywhere really! But kudos to Jogi. Aamir's was different, he was too quick to handle in that over.

Difference was Australia won that final by 7 runs whereas Pakistan were more comfortable in this match. Agreed though- is a stupid shot to play under real pressure situation. Misbah could have hit Sharma's medium paced pies anywhere yet decided to play that. Ok, Jogi deceived him in lack of pace but he should have hit it anywhere really! But kudos to Jogi. Aamir's was different, he was too quick to handle in that over.
No Kudos to Jogi- if Misbah had just stuck with his regular shots ( he was in roaring form and just hit a straight classical boundar) Pakistan wud have won Misbah could have been a hero if the shot worked- it didn't work and proved to be his disaster but Jogi was a non-factor IMO
I have tried the playing the scoop shot in club cricket and it is very difficult indeed. Either it can be easy boundary or scoop right into the fielders hands. :cantstop:
Why Dilshan tried that against Paki team and SL's srategy against Pakistan is very puzzling indeed for a usually thoughtful team like SL Pakistan's bowling and not batting had been the strength throughout the tournament; it was obvious that even a moderately challenging total could have worked against Pakistan so consolidation first and accelearation based on pitch, bowling and situation was the need of the hour Add to that Dilshan was the top form player- could have easilymanipulated the innings later SL did lose big time on strategy

I bet most of us would have tried that shot in gully cricket, I certainly have. In my neighbourhood the boundary straight down the wicket used be some 50m long while the boundary behind the stumps was just 10m, that's when the scoop comes into play.That shot was first introduced to me by a Sri Lankan friend. He used to play that really well. He used to go down on one knee and play the scoop instead of going to the offside and scooping it, just like Dilshan. I can remember a lot of scoops played over the years Dougie Marllier, Baz (against Lee, the flying Sinclair match), SRT, etc but this one certainly stands out. It is darn difficult! Edit: Baz's was against Lee and not McG

I bet most of us would have tried that shot in gully cricket, I certainly have. In my neighbourhood the boundary straight down the wicket used be some 50m long while the boundary behind the stumps was just 10m, that's when the scoop comes into play.That shot was first introduced to me by a Sri Lankan friend. He used to play that really well. He used to go down on one knee and play the scoop instead of going to the offside and scooping it, just like Dilshan. I can remember a lot of scoops played over the years Dougie Marllier, Baz (against Lee, the flying Sinclair match), SRT, etc but this one certainly stands out. It is darn difficult! Edit: Baz's was against Lee and not McG
I remember I used to turn around and sort of pull the ball over the keeper whenever the leg spinner pitched it short. Its very effective when the boundary is short....and of course the bowler is not that good. There was no use placing a fielder behind the keeper at the boundary line because the boundary was so short that almost every such shot went for six.....even when its top edged. :dance: