Who is your favorite commentator?

Forgot Boycott. The way he rips in to teams and players is unmatched. He especially loves slamming the english team. Bob Willis is also good to listen to if england have just lost as well!
Absolutely Legendary Seriously if you haven't Bob Willis when England lose, you guys don't know what you're missing out on.

I was listening to the T20 final on 5 live radio and thought Aggers and Tuffers were pretty good. Better than most TV comms Nasser Hussain is very irritating when India play- he really dosent like us. Kumble states the obvious A LOT i find.

I agree with Don in that Pommie Mbangwa is a very underrated commentator. Top 3 for me are; 1. David Lloyd 2. Ian Smith 3. Jeremy Coney Generally English commentators are annoying although I quite like Hussain. He makes some good points. The less said about Lankan and Pakistani commentators, the better.

Mike Atherton. The man has a matter of fact way of expressing well thought out opinions without the slightest hyperbole. I am going to follow the Ashes just to listen to him. Nasser's a very good commentator as well. He is extremely enthusiastic, brings some amazing insights, and never ever sits on the fence. David Lloyd is rubbish. He rambles on and states the bleedin' obvious. The commentator I really dislike is Harsha. He's like a teenager who's been let loose on the unsuspecting public with a mike, his inferiority complex (because he's never played serious cricket, and is usually sharing the box with a legend who makes him feel like a wet rag) shows in the way he tries to cover up his lack of technical knowledge by speaking too much. He sets my teeth on edge.

Mike Atherton. The man has a matter of fact way of expressing well thought out opinions without the slightest hyperbole. I am going to follow the Ashes just to listen to him. Nasser's a very good commentator as well. He is extremely enthusiastic, brings some amazing insights, and never ever sits on the fence. David Lloyd is rubbish. He rambles on and states the bleedin' obvious. The commentator I really dislike is Harsha. He's like a teenager who's been let loose on the unsuspecting public with a mike, his inferiority complex (because he's never played serious cricket, and is usually sharing the box with a legend who makes him feel like a wet rag) shows in the way he tries to cover up his lack of technical knowledge by speaking too much. He sets my teeth on edge.
David Lloyd is hardly rubbish, Dhondy. He's a brilliant commentator. Perhaps you've caught him in an off game. I will have to disagree with Nasser. Atherton is a fine commentator, but Nasser Hussain gets on the nerves far too often.
David Lloyd is hardly rubbish' date=' Dhondy. He's a brilliant commentator. Perhaps you've caught him in an off game. I will have to disagree with Nasser. Atherton is a fine commentator, but Nasser Hussain gets on the nerves far too often.[/quote'] Brilliant? In what way? I have lost count of the number of times I've heard Nasser call correctly the next decision a captain on the field was going to make, or point out one that should have been made with coherence and persuasion. I have never heard David Lloyd do this on a single occasion. He usually goes with the flow, and overstates the feats of subcontinental players to win popular acclaim. He is looking over his shoulder. He'll be the next SKY commentator to go after the likes of Bob Willis and Paul Allott if Michael Vaughan makes an entry into the commentary box.

I hope you are not judging the quality of the commentary by how many correct predictions are made. In the Indian tour of England in 2007, his commentary was quite good, he conveyed a load of relevant history, IIRC, he also had a session when Sidebottom was troubling Tendulkar quite a bit, and that was an exciting period in the test match, only bettered by Lloyd's talk. As a speaker, he can induce a level of energy into the game should there be a need for it, or as you said, he will go with the flow if the opposition are doing well. I feel that rather than talk about the field placements/captaincy decisions, Bumble is more interested or rather, more experienced, in the administration part of the game, and his insights there are far greater than what Atherton or Hussain could offer. Very often I've found him talk about an incorrect selection based on the performances in the county circuit or how the crowd was mismanaged or how a particular tournament was held well. Hussain has a tendency to call out on the fielding captain's decisions far too early, and I've seen him have egg on his face very soon after he makes his rant. I think he is very egotistical, and holds himself above all others in the game. On the field, as a captain, Tendulkar has admitted to Hussain's captaincy being sharper than all others he's faced. But barring that, I don't like him as a player or a commentator. He's very boring, and does not have an open mind.