India's campaign at the 1983 World Cup: News reports

Hi ICF'ers, I have been meaning to put up these images since a week, but have been very busy. Anyhow, here's the match report from the India-Zimbabwe game. Link to Scorecard I'll put up a few scans I have right now. For closer shots of the reports, I'll hopefully find some time during the weekend to scan them. Hats off to Kapil's Devils :isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute: Enjoy!

Deccan Herald's page#1 headline on June 26, 1983! This is sure to give a lot of joy to all Indian fans. What a headline! Considering that this was a world cup victory, it's very surprising to see the amount of usual politics in there. I guess our print media weren't as cricket-fanatic back then. Link to scorecard...not needed. Every self-respecting Indian fan knows! :isalute::isalute::isalute:

Sports page of Deccan Herald on June 26, 1983! As with the first page, there is just a match report on there, followed by other sports/local news - Wimbledon, Hockey etc. I hope to put up the closer scans of the match reports over the next few days. If you are very keen, you can still read the report in the attached image - albeit with magnifying glasses. Match report also speaks about Doordarshan's ineptness..nothing has changed since on that front. :giggle:

Sports section on June 27th, 1983. Probably before he totally lost it, Bedi is actually quoted as praising Indian players. Like everyone else here, I'm so proud of Kapils Devils! They really took Cricket to a higher level in India and also inspired other countries in the sub-continent to do well. That's all I have for now. I'll update the thread with other images, when I get around to scanning them. Let's celebrate this memorable day/occasion. :isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute:

Sports section on June 27th, 1983. Probably before he totally lost it, Bedi is actually quoted as praising Indian players. Like everyone else here, I'm so proud of Kapils Devils! They really took Cricket to a higher level in India and also inspired other countries in the sub-continent to do well. That's all I have for now. I'll update the thread with other images, when I get around to scanning them. Let's celebrate this memorable day/occasion. :isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute::isalute:
Incredible articles. But an interesting side article from this clip, "India bids for 87 WC". So a day after we won the WC, we bid for the next one. That's how history worked and cricket became huge.

Kapil's Devils - Always the Legendz. :isalute: I was lucky enough to watch the match. Well my dad says I was staring at the TV for most part of the match and when the final dismissal took place. I was only a year old then.:P Then I was customarily flung in the air about three times before my mom saw my dad getting a little overjoyed and took me away. :cantstop:

Awesome work Indus Army :adore: I can imagine your passion of having collected and kept these paper cuttings all these years. We dint have TV in our home at that time. There was one next door. My dad and his neighbour were friends. But the neighbour was not coming back home before the start of the match. So my dad, who planned o come back home early to watch the match, collected the keys of their home so that he can watch the matc hfrom ball one. I was there watching the match.. but I dont remember anything.. not even the celebraton. I guess I must have gone home and slept before the match ended :crying: My first available memory of watching india play that i can recollect is the 1986 world series in australia.. where were beaten badly.. but my fellow neighbourhood friends who were a couple of years older than me used to say India are the world champions.. i used to think they were joking. By the time Reliance Worldcup came to India, I was old enough to play and follow cricket.. Even at that time West Indies were a formidable side... we used to chat among friends the many reasons for West indies being so strong, fast in bowling, powerful in hitting etc.. guys older than me used to say.. the people of west indies eat al sorts of meat to make themselves strong.. this and that.. oh.. and we'll listen to all those stories with jaws dropped...