Selectors must ignore IPL lottery performances

No Sharma is no IPL lottery player. He has done very well for India in loads of odis previous to IPL, just like Raina. Also Sharma is class. You need to forget the numbers of IPl, which he did well in as well. But look at how he plays, it has class written all over it. Use the cricket eyes chaps. This guy is the real deal and is no lottery player like the Jadejas and Nehras.

dsr, i would disagree, with your claim about Jadeja making the Team on the basis of the IPL performance, it was the FC season which earned him the spot and he deserves a long rope. He aint a Yuvraj/Raina when it comes to batting talent, but don't fool yourself by telling "Talent" is everything when it comes to cricket. Rahul Dravid and Steve Waugh were prime examples of "Work Ethics" having a place in modern day cricket. dsr, you simply can't write off a cricketer after 3 ODI's, he may not be good enough to make the cut atm but he has age on his side and surely can make an improvement. Class is not everything when it comes to Cricket, you sometimes have to put in the hard yards too, even though i am from Mumbai i won't be biased, Rohit has the talent, we have seen it in most of the innings in the past, in FC matches for Mumbai, but off late, it seems from the outside he is taking his place in the side for granted, it has been around 12 months since he has scored a fifty, he lacks the application atm to even make it to the eleven, however i hope he sorts it out (domestics) and gets things into perspective.

Er..... I have seen no signs of Jasuriya in Jadeja. I have a feeling you will be dissapointed. VERY DISSAPOINTED
you don't have a clue. your uneducated guesses are not worth serious consideration. informed cricketing pundits will know he is a serious talent.that's all matters.
No Sharma is no IPL lottery player. He has done very well for India in loads of odis previous to IPL, just like Raina. Also Sharma is class. You need to forget the numbers of IPl, which he did well in as well. But look at how he plays, it has class written all over it. Use the cricket eyes chaps. This guy is the real deal and is no lottery player like the Jadejas and Nehras.
what?? loads of ODIs ???? :cantstop::cantstop:
Indeed some highly repected pundits see him as the new Jasuriya of world cricket!
" We have someone like Ravindra Jadeja with limited international experience but with high talent" -Dhoni “Jadeja would be a superstar of Indian cricket†"we identified as a special talent right away"- - Shane warne

Jadeja needs to go! my fear is that by selecting a handful of players based on IPL results for international matches may put team india in trouble!! many of our players seriously need to grooming to international standards! Raina i have some hopes on but jadeja?? naaaaaah doubt it

Jadeja needs to go! my fear is that by selecting a handful of players based on IPL results for international matches may put team india in trouble!! many of our players seriously need to grooming to international standards! Raina i have some hopes on but jadeja?? naaaaaah doubt it
CG, http://stats.cricinfo.com/ranjisperleague2008/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=4478;type=tournament http://stats.cricinfo.com/ranjisperleague2008/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=4478;type=tournament
dsr, i would disagree, with your claim about Jadeja making the Team on the basis of the IPL performance, it was the FC season which earned him the spot and he deserves a long rope. He aint a Yuvraj/Raina when it comes to batting talent, but don't fool yourself by telling "Talent" is everything when it comes to cricket. Rahul Dravid and Steve Waugh were prime examples of "Work Ethics" having a place in modern day cricket. dsr, you simply can't write off a cricketer after 3 ODI's, he may not be good enough to make the cut atm but he has age on his side and surely can make an improvement. Class is not everything when it comes to Cricket, you sometimes have to put in the hard yards too, even though i am from Mumbai i won't be biased, Rohit has the talent, we have seen it in most of the innings in the past, in FC matches for Mumbai, but off late, it seems from the outside he is taking his place in the side for granted, it has been around 12 months since he has scored a fifty, he lacks the application atm to even make it to the eleven, however i hope he sorts it out (domestics) and gets things into perspective.
agree about Jadeja,disagree about Rohit.i think he is being misused.he is a finisher n clean hitter.he is not used to facing the new ball,as a result of which he is struggling.also i think his main problem is shot selection.but i dont think there is any lack of intent or hes taking his place for granted.hes a languid sort of character but i'm sure he works hard enuf on his game

Right. He's working hard and stuff by going for a ball about 3 feet away from him, and trying to cover drive it when you've lost 2 wickets in the first two overs. Brilliant hard work being shown. He's got so many not outs in his career so far and has an awesome average of 28. Talent alone doesn't make you great - hard work has to go with it, and so far, there is little evidence that he does not take his place for granted.

I'll say it again. IPL will eventually kill Indian cricket. The Sachins, Dravids, Sehwags & Laxmans are being replaced by the IPL generation- the Rohits, the Rainas, the Jadejas, the Yousufs- millionaires in the first flush of youth, no hunger, no hard knocks, reared on a bikini version of the game and developing sunburns in the harsh glare of international cricket. One thing common to all of them- no idea how to play fast bowling- expose them to short pitched stuff, and they are toast, giving excuses to commentators to dig up old stereotypes. The situation has got to the stage where Mike Wedderburn of WI descent on SKY asks ironically, "Where does this Indian team stand in international cricket?" You want to know Mike? Third in the Test table by a couple of points behind SA, and joint second in ODIs. Not bad for a side who can't play short pitched bowling, huh? I'll let you in into a little secret though. We didn't get there playing with the muppets that you see in the current side. Take a good look, because you are not going to see them much longer.
:hail::hail::hail:
Right. He's working hard and stuff by going for a ball about 3 feet away from him' date=' and trying to cover drive it when you've lost 2 wickets in the first two overs. Brilliant hard work being shown. He's got so many not outs in his career so far and has an awesome average of 28. Talent alone doesn't make you great - hard work has to go with it, and so far, there is little evidence that he does [i']not take his place for granted.
Well. but at least he had his front leg coming out of off stump line (though he played quite away from the line of his feet) But then look at Gauti...absolutely rubish.... not knowing the line of the ball and slicing it way way out side the off stump.... Viru, Raina, Rohit, Gauti, Dhoni and Yuvi all struggle on the lively wkt. KKD really got a beauty...very few like RD judge those and play 'em properly on the square leg. Trouble is most of these Chaddi cricket champs do not know where their off stump is...
Well. but at least he had his front leg coming out of off stump line (though he played quite away from the line of his feet) But then look at Gauti...absolutely rubish.... not knowing the line of the ball and slicing it way way out side the off stump....
The ball that Gambhir got out on should have been thrashed to the point fence. He didn't get on top of the bounce.
Viru, Raina, Rohit, Gauti, Dhoni and Yuvi all struggle on the lively wkt.
Gambhir has done well on seaming wickets before this - back in Australia, during the night chases, and in New Zealand, and in Mohali, etc. He's done well. He looks exhausted. Sehwag is a freak. He can do well on any wicket against any type of bowler. The difference being that these guys have experienced a tremendous amount of success in the Test and ODI forms of the game in the last 2 years (and have been awesomely consistent - including Yuvraj and Dhoni). Rohit has shown none of that. His dismissals have been lazy wafts, pulling balls that are over his head, etc.
KKD really got a beauty...very few like RD judge those and play 'em properly on the square leg. Trouble is most of these Chaddi cricket champs do not know where their off stump is...
Who are the 'Chaddi' ones here? None of the names above can be included in that group.

Only Chaddi cricket allows the cross bat shot what GG played in first 1-2 overs... w/o having much of a judgment of the bounce, movement on/off the pitch. Either in 50-50 or Test.. you need your openers, 1 down to give others good idea of the conditions in the middle. Players like GG starts to play shots like that then what do you expect from those who are following. If you are losing more than 5 wkts in the first 10-15 overs, the blame needs to go to the openers... period...If i were at the non-striking end looking at the way KKD got out, i will get fair amount of idea how the pitch is....Anyways, we support performers..... even after they make stupid mistakes....in my view Rohit Sharma did exact same mistake what GG did.

Only Chaddi cricket allows the cross bat shot what GG played in first 1-2 overs... w/o having much of a judgment of the bounce, movement on/off the pitch. Either in 50-50 or Test.. you need your openers, 1 down to give others good idea of the conditions in the middle. Players like GG starts to play shots like that then what do you expect from those who are following. If you are losing more than 5 wkts in the first 10-15 overs, the blame needs to go to the openers... period...If i were at the non-striking end looking at the way KKD got out, i will get fair amount of idea how the pitch is....Anyways, we support performers..... if after they make stupid mistake....in my view Rohit Sharma did exact same mistake what GG did.
I'm sorry. I won't subscribe to that theory. That was a short and wide delivery that deserved to be cut. It was the right shot to be played. True Gambhir screwed it up, but then how many times in the past 2 years has given an excellent start for the team? Rohit Sharma has done jack compared to what Gambhir has done. And that was a terrible shot to play no matter how you describe it. He had to reach really far for that ball. And he didn't even bother moving his feet or leaning in.
Right. He's working hard and stuff by going for a ball about 3 feet away from him' date=' and trying to cover drive it when you've lost 2 wickets in the first two overs. Brilliant hard work being shown. He's got so many not outs in his career so far and has an awesome average of 28. Talent alone doesn't make you great - hard work has to go with it, and so far, there is little evidence that he does [i']not take his place for granted.
That can be put down to inexperience.he may have been expecting the short ball n hence feet didnt move as well.Also Dhoni admitted at post-match presentation that they misread the pitch.they thought it was a belter n you can play your strokes.Rohit was going by instructions