ICC Champion's Trophy : Dravid in probables...

ICC Champions Trophy Dravid among Champions Trophy probables Cricinfo staff July 6, 2009 Text size: A | A Rahul Dravid's inclusion comes on the back of the recent struggles of the Indian batsmen against the short-pitched bowling © AFP Related Links Player/Officials: Rahul Dravid Series/Tournaments: ICC Champions Trophy Teams: India Rahul Dravid has been named among the Indian team probables for the ICC Champions Trophy in September this year. The all-India senior selection committee at its meeting held in Chennai today selected 30 players for the tournament to be held in South Africa. Dravid played his last ODI back in October 2007 against Australia in Nagpur where he managed seven runs. He averages 39.49 from 333 games with a strike rate of 71.22 and is the third Indian to accumulate more than 10,000 runs in ODIs. His inclusion comes on the back of the recent struggles of the Indian batsmen against the short-pitched bowling. It started in the Twenty20 World Cup where the likes of Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Gautam Gambhir and Yusuf Pathan were exposed by the bouncers and the problem continued in the ODI series in West Indies. Dravid also played a key role in the success of Royal Challengers Bangalore during the second season of the IPL. He scored 271 runs at a strike-rate of 115.81 as the team finished runners-up in the tournament held in South Africa. Probables squad: MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Suresh Raina, Yusuf Pathan, Abhishek Nayar, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Praveen Kumar, Harbhajan Singh, Pragyan Ojha, Ravindra Jadeja, Dinesh Karthik, Munaf Patel, R Ashwin, M Vijay, Amit Mishra, Ajinkya Rahane, Dhawal Kulkarni, S Badrinath, Ashish Nehra, Virat Kohli, Bhuvneshwar Kumar Singh, Wriddhiman Saha, Pankaj Singh.
hmmmm.....i think it will be good to see him back in the squad as he performed well in SA
Probables squad: MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Suresh Raina, Yusuf Pathan, Abhishek Nayar, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Praveen Kumar, Harbhajan Singh, Pragyan Ojha, Ravindra Jadeja, Dinesh Karthik, Munaf Patel, R Ashwin, M Vijay, Amit Mishra, Ajinkya Rahane, Dhawal Kulkarni, S Badrinath, Ashish Nehra, Virat Kohli, Bhuvneshwar Kumar Singh, Wriddhiman Saha, Pankaj Singh.
It is absolutely ridiculous to exclude Irfan and Sreesanth from the first 30 of the ICC Champion's trophy. Is Kulkarni or Bhuvaneshwar Kumar or Pankaj Singh a better bowler than these two? No way, I'd say. This seems a very very muddled up squad!

Great news. He has scored well in the last test series vs NZ and is in good form. He should straight away replace this overrated Rohit sharma. We desperately need some solid player like Dravid as some times our team is struggling on green wickets. And his experience on bouncy south african wickets will be more than helpful for us

its confirmed now-Dhoni has got some problem with Irfan.first that tiff with selection comittee over him,then dropping him from Eng T20 game n now this.u cant drop him from 30.it makes zero sense.however average he is,he is our best allrounder.

It is absolutely ridiculous to exclude Irfan and Sreesanth from the first 30 of the ICC Champion's trophy. Is Kulkarni or Bhuvaneshwar Kumar or Pankaj Singh a better bowler than these two? No way, I'd say. This seems a very very muddled up squad!
absolutely-they could have atleast included them in the list of probables,could have been a incentive for them to improve.now we have a bunch of players who have no hope of being in the actual 15.

good to Virat kohli back in the frame. he definitely deserevs a good run in the side, if not longer like Rohit. iwud have mishra in my squad for the trophy. he has got a beautiful googly & a leg spinner is always a wicket taking option in ODI's. and wat about Nayar ? will he hold on to his place afta d big guns cm bk.poor chap !:((

The selectors are so anti sreesranth its crazy. Put all the off field so called dramas to one side. He is seriously good bowler. To not have him in the 30 is madness. Selectors and co must just simply hate him
How do you know that there not more to it than we know? May be he has misbehaved with so many that a lot of senor players in the team are not comfortable with him anymore? I am quite sure that he must have misbehaved with a quite a few of them on several occasions. He does not have a great friendship with Bhajji. That celebration after getting Dhoni looked like he was settling some score or making some point. Who knows with who else he has messed up? His weeping antics in IPL 1 did not go down very well with a lot of players. It was a deliberate, opportunistic and shameless attempt at blowing things out of proportions just for some attention at the cost of Harbhajan Singh. That's when Harbhajan got an official punishment and Sreesanth got an unofficial one. Harbhajan's punishment period soon got over and he came back strong. Sree's punishment continues and I doubt it will ever end. I am sure that Sree is paying price of not off-field but in-dressing room antics.....a lot of which never came out into the media.
How do you know that there not more to it than we know? May be he has misbehaved with so many that a lot of senor players in the team are not comfortable with him anymore? I am quite sure that he must have misbehaved with a quite a few of them on several occasions. He does not have a great friendship with Bhajji. That celebration after getting Dhoni looked like he was settling some score or making some point. Who knows with who else he has messed up? His weeping antics in IPL 1 did not go down very well with a lot of players. It was a deliberate, opportunistic and shameless attempt at blowing things out of proportions just for some attention at the cost of Harbhajan Singh. That's when Harbhajan got an official punishment and Sreesanth got an unofficial one. Harbhajan's punishment period soon got over and he came back strong. Sree's punishment continues and I doubt it will ever end. I am sure that Sree is paying price of not off-field but in-dressing room antics.....a lot of which never came out into the media.
So I was right. Its all personal! You have made a lot of assumptions on Sree and given fact to quite frankly a lot of gossip.
u remember that celebration,but u dont remember the delivery? it was a scorching yorker he bowled.Sree is very talented n i dont care how his attitude is,an in form Sreesanth is what we MUST have.in fact i believe his energy is one of the reasons we won the T20 WC.he can get the team charged up.wen our team looked tired n disinterested in T20WC,i was thinking of Sreesanth n wat he could have done. Cricket should come first,Sree deserves a place in 30 probables on his cricketing talent.rest should not matter that much
. That celebration after getting Dhoni looked like he was settling some score or making some point. Who knows with who else he has messed up? .
Yeah he was making a point. You are the indian captain and I have just blown you away. PICK ME! I like the point he made. And I think Dhoni and co should heed the point that Sree made very well! Tendulkar was and is his hero. Sree made his name in challenger trophy by sledging the hell out of god and getting him out, gotta admire the balls. Ok next challenger trophy God smoked him all over the place and silenced him:--D, nevertheless Sree showed guts and fire!
its confirmed now-Dhoni has got some problem with Irfan.first that tiff with selection comittee over him' date='then dropping him from Eng T20 game n now this.u cant drop him from 30.it makes zero sense.however average he is,he is our best allrounder.[/quote'] Irfan really is a bad bowler, who have more than often relied on his batting to get a spot into the team rather than bowling But Sree should have given a chance
So I was right. Its all personal! You have made a lot of assumptions on Sree and given fact to quite frankly a lot of gossip.
Don't take my word for it. I do not represent team India. I do not know what happened and what did not. Like you say, I am making too many assumptions.