The Never Ending Thread

Ram

What Sree is saying a common excuse given by ISPs in Aus for slow internet speed
It is true though. Australia has such a vast coverage area with piss poor demand for it. Hence the exchanges are usually only located around the high density areas. And most of all people are more then happy to get ripped off by the bs prices for the internet and other services. :headshake:

My ISP told me the same thing - that for a 4Mbps connection, my house should be within 2 kms of the DSLAM . Was it a lie? :mad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line_Access_Multiplexer is a decent article... Copper wire length do matter. Unless they are using one copper wire from your home all the way to exchange i seriously doubt its copper wire... But vc,pvc and vp are independent.. Just my guess, ...I suspect them guys at exchange dont want to fiddle with configuration.So every within 2KM are effectively on one set of slots in DSLAM. All the rest are being accommodated on others... Also they are probably configuring too many vcs per slot/port

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line_Access_Multiplexer is a decent article... Copper wire length do matter. Unless they are using one copper wire from your home all the way to exchange i seriously doubt its copper wire... But vc,pvc and vp are independent.. Just my guess, ...I suspect them guys at exchange dont want to fiddle with configuration.So every within 2KM are effectively on one set of slots in DSLAM. All the rest are being accommodated on others... Also they are probably configuring too many vcs per slot/port
I saw this on wikipedia. It says the same thing my ISP told me - that the bandwidth offered depends on the distance between my home and DSLAM.
Balanced pair cable has higher attenuation at higher frequencies, hence the longer the wire between DSLAM and subscriber, the slower the maximum possible data rate. The following is a rough guide to the relation between wire distance (based on 0.40 mm copper) and maximum data rate. Local conditions may vary, especially beyond 2 km, often necessitating a closer DSLAM to bring acceptable bandwidths: 25 Mbit/s at 1,000 feet (~300 m) 24 Mbit/s at 2,000 feet (~600 m) 23 Mbit/s at 3,000 feet (~900 m) 22 Mbit/s at 4,000 feet (~1.2 km) 21 Mbit/s at 5,000 feet (~1.5 km) 19 Mbit/s at 6,000 feet (~1.8 km) 16 Mbit/s at 7,000 feet (~2.1 km) 8 Mbit/s at 3 km 1.5 Mbit/s at 15,000 feet (4.5 km) 800 kbit/s at 17,000 feet (~5.2 km)

Thank God I was never fed such BS.
Is that wikipedia article wrong which I posted few posts back? Also there is no need for Airtel to lie about it to me. the 4mbps plan costs more than what I am paying now. What would be their incentive to deny me a higher end plan?