India now at #2 position in ODIs - Test Rankings Updated India slip to #4

Guest Shivani

CT is going to be our biggest test. We have normally faltered in a new season after having a great last season. 2004-05 and 2006-07 are the prime examples. Hopefully the current team, as it has done on many occassions, will shatter this myth and win the SL tri series first and then the CT. Go India go. Glory awaits the MIB.

India No. 2 in ICC ranking Great Going India!! Slam the SA and be no 1 Pak should chase the rest down and be no 1 and then the true 1 & 2 will emerge maybe India one year and Pakistan the next no.1 yearly basis as long as the 'angrez teams' are out of contention and they are kept below the ASIANS i am a happy man i am sure by now they know vwery well how good the Asians are at beating them at their own game

Guest Hiten.
They barely managed to beat WI and with no recent ODI's being played how exactly did they moved up? The ODI rankings are updated after each one day is played by any particular teams.
Exactly my thoughts. Bangladesh should have jumped to #1 position both in tests and ODI's after all they are th e only one to whitewash WI's in tests and ODI's....invincible bengalis :hail:
http://www.cricinfo.com/rankings/content/current/page/211271.html After the test match annual update India has slipped to #4. Australia hanging on to #1 by the skin of their teeth and need to win both upcoming matches to retain their spot.
Yes, SL have squeaked ahead by 0.01 point- the thickness of the proverbial hair. Couple of issues. India deserve this ignominy. They let go of a perfect winning opportunity against NZ to secure the series. Would have been enough to go up to 120. Pretty much the same thing they did versus England in the final Test both home & away. Safety first tactics should not be rewarded with ranking points. SL's record away from home is absolutely abysmal though. India have won series in WI, NZ and England in the last cycle, none of which was achieved by SL. India won tests in Australia & SA- not SL. SL have been unbeatable at home though. They beat SA at home, beat India by an identical margin and annihilated Pakistan. Thanks to their home record, they are ahead. Rankings don't discriminate between home & away records. It's startling, but while India have lost a ranking place- they have gained two points. The current tally- 119 is their highest ever.
Australia have clung on to the top spot in the ICC Test rankings, but only victories in both the remaining Ashes Tests will be enough to keep them at No. 1, a place they have held since the introduction of the rankings in 2003. If the Ashes is drawn, South Africa will be the new leaders with Australia slipping to second place. If England win the Ashes, Australia will slide down to fourth place, behind Sri Lanka and India.
Yes, SL have squeaked ahead by 0.01 point- the thickness of the proverbial hair. Couple of issues. India deserve this ignominy. They let go of a perfect winning opportunity against NZ to secure the series. Would have been enough to go up to 120. Pretty much the same thing they did versus England in the final Test both home & away. Safety first tactics should not be rewarded with ranking points. SL's record away from home is absolutely abysmal though. India have won series in WI, NZ and England in the last cycle, none of which was achieved by SL. India won tests in Australia & SA- not SL. SL have been unbeatable at home though. They beat SA at home, beat India by an identical margin and annihilated Pakistan. Thanks to their home record, they are ahead. Rankings don't discriminate between home & away records. It's startling, but while India have lost a ranking place- they have gained two points. The current tally- 119 is their highest ever.
Yeah, we are paying the price for an over cautious approach and some disgraceful pattas produced at home over the last few years. Add in the Bangalore test against Pakistan and all these possible 3-4 wins might even have taken us to the number 1 spot or very close. However, if Australia lose the series against England they will slip down to number 4 with India and Sri Lanka virtually tied at number 2 and setting up a showdown later in the year in India.

SL haven't toured SA since 2002. They played just two Tests in Australia, limiting their margin of defeat. OTOH, they toured NZ twice in quick succession- still got beaten in one, drew the other. They have played BD more often than any other side. To their credit, they beat both SA & Pakistan 2-0 at home.

Too bad our series against Pakistan in Pakistan was canceled (cricketing wise). We would have handed them another thumping series defeat and our rankings would have been higher. I am looking forward to the home test series against Lanka. It will be a very stern test for our players.

I am looking forward to the home test series against Lanka. It will be a very stern test for our players.
Somehow...Murali and other spinners are not effective on Indian spinning wickets. Last time around, both Harbhajan and Kumble outdid Murali in India. Yeah, would be interesting to see what Mendis can do on Indian wickets.

Beating Lankans in our home series would more than make up for what they would gain against NZ who is so low on points that SL would hardly gain by beating them. SL always seem to play 70 % of their cricket at home, they tour weaker sides more often.

BTW, the gap between india and Pakistan is now 35 points. What that means is that even if India lose every Test in the next 12 months, and Pakistan win every single one, they still won't overtake India until the rankings are updated next August. In fact, if the gap grows by 5 more points, i.e. to 40, a special algorithm will be needed to calculate ranking outcomes for Tests between the two teams, a "distinction" that's been hitherto reserved for Aus-Zim and Aus-BD contests.

Somehow...Murali and other spinners are not effective on Indian spinning wickets. Last time around' date=' both Harbhajan and Kumble outdid Murali in India. Yeah, would be interesting to see what Mendis can do on Indian wickets.[/quote'] It will be interesting yes. If anything, I think it will be more competitive than the previous series against Australia at home.
Beating Lankans in our home series would more than make up for what they would gain against NZ who is so low on points that SL would hardly gain by beating them. SL always seem to play 70 % of their cricket at home, they tour weaker sides more often.
That's right, Patriot. The difference is far starker than you could ever imagine. Over the last 3 years, which is the length of a ranking cycle, Sri Lanka have played 13 Tests at home and 10 away (ratio 1.3). Of those 13 home Tests, they won 9, and lost just one, yup, to India. Of the 10 away Tests during that period, they have won 4 and lost 4. The 4 away Test match victories were against BD (2), NZ(1), and WI(1). Now, look at this. Over the same three years, India have featured in 12 Tests at home, and 18 away (ratio 0.67). That is to say, SL play twice as often at home as India do. Now, of those 12 home Tests, India have won 5 and lost 1 (to SA). Of the 18 away Tests, they have won 6, and lost 6. The six away victories were against Australia, SA, SL, England, NZ and BD. You be the judge.
Exactly my thoughts. Bangladesh should have jumped to #1 position both in tests and ODI's after all they are th e only one to whitewash WI's in tests and ODI's....invincible bengalis :hail:
This thread isn't about BD. Um no those +6 ratings points are meaningless in my book since it wasn't full WI side, but some of the players in the current WI side do deserve to be in full WI team. IND and AUS are not playing any ODI's at the moment. Their updated ratings were already calculated or is SRL-PAK series somehow affect top teams ratings as well. Our rating was like 10 and 52 after playing against WI now I'm seeing 13 and 54. It's strange.
Guest Hiten.

Thanks for the stats, Doc. It is quite mind boggling that the 'home' and 'away' tests are judged by a similar scale. Moreover, SL gained points by beating a relatively weak Pakistani side, but then if we were to look at the history of their clashes, Pakistan always had an upper hand whenever they toured SL (I am sure ICC's ranking didn't look at this fact when they conceded points to SL)..so I guess, SL deserved points for their series win. India cannot be complacent against the lankans when they tour India later this year. Kumble is not there for us and I do not feel comfortable on relying Bhajji to win us the series (not doubting his ability but his given 'form' during that time). I think we should go for a seaming tracks because our seamers completely outclass the net bowlers in Kulu, thusara and Matthews. Mendis will come to the series as a threat to us (given what he did to our batsmen, last time we faced him in tests). I would not settle for anything but 2-0+ against the lankans.