India now at #2 position in ODIs - Test Rankings Updated India slip to #4

Guest Shivani

Guest Hiten.
This thread isn't about BD. Um no those +6 ratings points are meaningless in my book since it wasn't full WI side' date=' but some of the players in the current WI side do deserve to be in full WI team. IND and AUS are not playing any ODI's at the moment. Their updated ratings were already calculated or is SRL-PAK series somehow affect top teams ratings as well.[/quote'] I guess you haven't followed cricket (or at least Indian cricket) for quite a while now. India has been dominating in the ODI's right through the CB series' conclusion. Our series win CB series win Pak (3-2..series was shut down in the 4th game) SL 3-2 (series was shut down in the 4th game) and 4-1 (5th game was a dead rubber) England 5-0 NZ 3-1 WI 2-1 We gained points because of our consistent performance in the LOI format and not because of SL's pounding of Pakistan.
That's right, Patriot. The difference is far starker than you could ever imagine. Over the last 3 years, which is the length of a ranking cycle, Sri Lanka have played 13 Tests at home and 10 away (ratio 1.3). Of those 13 home Tests, they won 9, and lost just one, yup, to India. Of the 10 away Tests during that period, they have won 4 and lost 4. The 4 away Test match victories were against BD (2), NZ(1), and WI(1). Now, look at this. Over the same three years, India have featured in 12 Tests at home, and 18 away (ratio 0.67). That is to say, SL play twice as often at home as India do. Now, of those 12 home Tests, India have won 5 and lost 1 (to SA). Of the 18 away Tests, they have won 6, and lost 6. The six away victories were against Australia, SA, SL, England, NZ and BD. You be the judge.
Not for a moment am I suggesting that the Lankan test side is as good as ours. But we can't blame them - because where they tour is not in their hands. Inviting Lanka home is not nearly as marketable as inviting a high profile team like India. India with Aus and Eng probably playing second fiddle probably decide the FTP and neither are too keen on inviting Lanka. Same reason that we havn't invited Banglas a single time since they received test status. The fact that Lanka is just a 20 million country compared to Bangladesh ( 140 million ) probably makes the latter a more commericially viable team for host cricketing boards.
This thread isn't about BD. Um no those +6 ratings points are meaningless in my book since it wasn't full WI side' date=' but some of the players in the current WI side do deserve to be in full WI team. IND and AUS are not playing any ODI's at the moment. Their updated ratings were already calculated or is SRL-PAK series somehow affect top teams ratings as well. Our rating was like 10 and 52 after playing against WI now I'm seeing 13 and 54. It's strange.[/quote'] Because you haven't bothered to find out how these rankings work before expressing your surprise at India moving up after beating WI. Every August older matches get chopped off from the rankings which can cause some major shifts.
Thanks for the stats, Doc. It is quite mind boggling that the 'home' and 'away' tests are judged by a similar scale. Moreover, SL gained points by beating a relatively weak Pakistani side, but then if we were to look at the history of their clashes, Pakistan always had an upper hand whenever they toured SL (I am sure ICC's ranking didn't look at this fact when they conceded points to SL)..so I guess, SL deserved points for their series win. India cannot be complacent against the lankans when they tour India later this year. Kumble is not there for us and I do not feel comfortable on relying Bhajji to win us the series (not doubting his ability but his given 'form' during that time). I think we should go for a seaming tracks because our seamers completely outclass the net bowlers in Kulu, thusara and Matthews. Mendis will come to the series as a threat to us (given what he did to our batsmen, last time we faced him in tests). I would not settle for anything but 2-0+ against the lankans.
i wouldnt write them off so completely.they have bowled very well in lanka and could do the same in some helpful conditions in india.
I guess you haven't followed cricket (or at least Indian cricket) for quite a while now. India has been dominating in the ODI's right through the CB series' conclusion. Our series win CB series win Pak (3-2..series was shut down in the 4th game) SL 3-2 (series was shut down in the 4th game) and 4-1 (5th game was a dead rubber) England 5-0 NZ 3-1 WI 2-1 We gained points because of our consistent performance in the LOI format and not because of SL's pounding of Pakistan.
I am not being surprised with IND being #2 in ODI rather this sudden shifts in ODI ratings of many teams since ICC updates rankings virtually after each ODI is played. Damn 5-0 to Pommies? I reckon they are a better team now. idk I kinda like their pace attack.
Guest Hiten.
i wouldnt write them off so completely.they have bowled very well in lanka and could do the same in some helpful conditions in india.
I think Pakistan have inflated their repertoire than it should really be. At best they are very decent bowlers with the ability to pick 1 or 2 wickets at a heavy RPO. Ishant easily outbowled them in the series and ended up with the best average and RPO. On the same pitch, Thushara and Kulu were outclassed by a spinner (Ojha).

Rankings do reflect fairly well on our Test strength. In ODIs we have been fabulous , hence we are close to being no 1. In tests, we have been patchy at best. We couldnt close out tests against England ( 3rd test in 07 series), against Pak in 07( 2nd and 3rd test), against Aus in 08 (3rd test), against Eng in 08 ( 2nd test) and against NZ in 09(3rd test). Besides these, we were also almost on the verge of losing a few tests ( against eng in lord's test, against aus in the 1st test at bangalore, against kiwis in the 2nd test) . Not exactly the signs of a great test team. Yes slowly we are gaining strength in test matches, but to be no 1 in tests, we need to be consistent over a 2-3 year period .

Rankings do reflect fairly well on our Test strength. In ODIs we have been fabulous , hence we are close to being no 1. In tests, we have been patchy at best. We couldnt close out tests against England ( 3rd test in 07 series), against Pak in 07( 2nd and 3rd test), against Aus in 08 (3rd test), against Eng in 08 ( 2nd test) and against NZ in 09(3rd test). Besides these, we were also almost on the verge of losing a few tests ( against eng in lord's test, against aus in the 1st test at bangalore, against kiwis in the 2nd test) . Not exactly the signs of a great test team. Yes slowly we are gaining strength in test matches, but to be no 1 in tests, we need to be consistent over a 2-3 year period .
many might not agree but this is my feeling too.we dont have the killer instinct in Tests and the safety first atitude we have adopted under Dhoni irks me to no end.we could have won atleast 2 of those matches if we really pushed the declaration and such but we were content to sit tight.that is not the mark of a no 1 test team which requires more ruthlessness.